Proxying an External Site Locally to Preview Optimizations

Jamie Jackson

Sep 1, 2017, 1:38:12 PM9/1/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
I had the idea to test out mod_pagespeed by proxying my real site in a local httpd instance (running pagespeed) locally, then compare the output of the real site and the optimized local site.

In other words, I want `localprod.foosite.com` (on my workstation) to reverse proxy `www.foosite.com`. Then I could compare the side by side in Chrome developer tools.

Does someone have a recipe (virtual host directives) they could share for this?

Thanks,
Jamie

Otto van der Schaaf

Sep 1, 2017, 4:22:49 PM9/1/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
I don't have a recipe for mod_pagespeed, but we actually have a service running over here that allows you to run comparisons via a reverse proxy that rehosts both the original and pagespeed-optimized versions on a proxy for comparison : https://my.we-amp.com/pagespeed/service.
(This service was our first use-case for the apache traffic server pagespeed plugin)

This only works for publically accessible sites though, and it runs on PageSpeed 1.9.32.14 so it's not the latest and greatest which may perform better.

Otto

Jamie Jackson