PageSpeed broke my site; what do I do?

Mike Lambert

Oct 7, 2016, 8:54:10 AM10/7/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
We just had PageSpeed installed, but unfortunately, it's caused our site to break.  I followed the instructions in the FAQ, and have narrowed it down to a few filters.

Not a rewrite or html parsing problem: https://www.carfinderservice.com/new-car/?ModPagespeed=off

Joshua Marantz

Oct 7, 2016, 9:22:30 AM10/7/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
From your description, I think you have an issue with sensitivity to URL renaming, either due to JavaScript or due to your server setup.  Try turning on OptimizeForBandwidth mode:
  ModPagespeedRewriteLevel OptimizeForBandwidth
That will set up PageSpeed to optimize images and minify resources, but will not rename URLs.

Then you can explore with the Chrome Dev Tools what URL sensitivity there is on your site.  From poking around I think there might be a mod_rewrite issue, but the first thing is to get your site working again.  I'll poke around a little more but I wanted to respond quickly.

-Josh

Joshua Marantz

Oct 7, 2016, 9:25:56 AM10/7/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Yeah it looks like you have some kind of redirect on your site that adds a trailing "/" to pagespeed URLs, but not to others.

For example:

Connecting to www.carfinderservice.com (www.carfinderservice.com)|52.200.11.77|:443... connected.
Length: 3806 (3.7K) [image/png]
Saving to:  logo.png

100%[======================================>] 3,806       --.-K/s   in 0s

2016-10-07 09:23:46 (168 MB/s) -  logo.png  saved [3806/3806]

That works fine.  But the pagespeed-optimized logo fails due to a 301 (moved permanently) that adds a trailing slash:

Connecting to www.carfinderservice.com (www.carfinderservice.com)|52.200.11.77|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Connecting to www.carfinderservice.com (www.carfinderservice.com)|52.200.11.77|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Connecting to www.carfinderservice.com (www.carfinderservice.com)|52.200.11.77|:443... connected.
2016-10-07 09:23:33 ERROR 404: Not Found.

If you can find the apache configuration that adds a / in some cases, and make it avoid ".pagespeed." resources, I think that will help.

-Josh

From your description, I think you have an issue with sensitivity to URL renaming, either due to JavaScript or due to your server setup.  Try turning on OptimizeForBandwidth mode:

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Mike Lambert <mike.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
We just had PageSpeed installed, but unfortunately, it's caused our site to break.  I followed the instructions in the FAQ, and have narrowed it down to a few filters.

Not a rewrite or html parsing problem: https://www.carfinderservice.com/new-car/?ModPagespeed=off

Mike Lambert

Oct 7, 2016, 12:01:13 PM10/7/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Thank you so much for the quick reply.  That was the issue.  I had some rewrites that added the /, and when I excluded the .pagespeed, and .webp, it solved the problem.

Thanks,
Mike
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mod-pagespeed-discuss+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Joshua Marantz

Oct 7, 2016, 1:17:57 PM10/7/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
It should be enough to exclude results that include ".pagespeed."