CoreFilters Not Resolving Many Critical Issues

Kenaz Chan

Apr 29, 2017, 5:33:04 AM4/29/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi,

I've installed mod_pagespeed with default CoreFilters on my server (WordPress multisite server). However, mod_pagespeed does not improve much on my PageSpeed Insight's ranking. Most of the reported issue should be fixed by mod_pagespeed CoreFilters, but doesn't work as expected. Below are few of the domains from the same server, which are facing similar issues:
Below are some detail of my server environment:
  • Server setup with Nginx as reverse proxy and Apache as backend host
  • WordPress multisite
  • Installed mod_pagespeed on Apache with version 1.11.33
  • Retain pagespeed.conf with default settings
I've went though the FAQ section here, but seems like doesn't apply to my case. I've also tried to modify many other configurations but nothing help much. Hope to get some guidance from this group. Attached are my Nginx virtual host, Apache virtual host and htaccess. All domain/site are using same format of virtual host.

Thanks.
nginx-virtual-host
apache-virtual-host
htaccess

Otto van der Schaaf

Apr 29, 2017, 10:31:11 AM4/29/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi,

For the complaints about render blocking js and css, you could consider enabling defer_javascript and prioritize_critical_css to see how that works out.
(The docs also describe risks associated to enabling these filters)

Some of the images in the first site you mentioned are injected via javascript. As mod_pagespeed does not interpret javascript, these images can only be optimized in-place, without changing the urls that reference them). That means that some optimizations cannot be applied to them.
One thing that may help here is enabling browser-specific in-place optimization:

It may also be worth it to take a look at what the debug filter logs in html comments (one way to enable it is by adding ?PageSpeedFilters=+debug to the querystring of a page) to see if there are any useful messages written in html comments.

Otto

Kenaz Chan

Apr 29, 2017, 10:41:09 PM4/29/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi Otto,

Thanks for your fast respond on blocking script and image optimization. However, do you know if there is a way to enforce mod_pagespeed to set resource expiry? Most of my sites mentioned earlier got this problem, and seems like CoreFilters extend_cache should be doing this but not working as expected.

Regarding render blocking js/css, I've tried setting defer_javascript and prioritize_critical_css. It doesn't increase the point and defer_javascript even causing new error. I'll try browser-specific in-place optimization later.

Thanks. :)

-Kenaz

Jan-Willem Maessen

May 1, 2017, 9:42:43 AM5/1/17
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Otto van der Schaaf <osc...@we-amp.com> wrote:
Hi,

For the complaints about render blocking js and css, you could consider enabling defer_javascript and prioritize_critical_css to see how that works out.
(The docs also describe risks associated to enabling these filters)

Some of the images in the first site you mentioned are injected via javascript.

This caught my eye.  It's likely you'll be dinged for render-blocking JavaScript simply because of the images being loaded via JS.

-Jan

Kenaz Chan

May 2, 2017, 6:09:58 AM5/2/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi Jan/Otto,

I am able to fix most image optimisation and expiry issues with mod_pagespeed now. However, the render-blocking issue still persists and I am not sure if it is due to image loaded via JS. For example one of the site below:

Without mod_pagespeed, there are only some render-blocking CSS & image optimisation issues. However, with mod_pagespeed enabled, it creates a new bunch of render-blocking JS files.

-Kenaz