What is suppose to be in the cache directory.

Wesley Davidson

Feb 1, 2017, 7:07:26 PM2/1/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hello,

Want to understand what is in my prop_page directory.

I have
*.appspot.com
,2Fring.xskl.cn

etc

When I look at the files in this directory they are binary.  Just want to be sure there is no payload being given to end users.

I notice that my style sheets and javascripts have been renamed and consolidated, which is what pagespeed does.  I just want to know what the caching in binary is caching especially for outside domains.

Thanks,
Wes

Otto van der Schaaf

Feb 2, 2017, 2:47:09 AM2/2/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Pagespeed stores information about pages in the property cache, like which assets are critical to which class of user-agents.

Entries like /pagespeed_cache/DOMAIN are created when pagespeed processes a request for DOMAIN (or actually hostname) and it needs to remember something about that url.
It looks like your webserver is listening and responding to all incoming hostnames, and it seems someone or something (bots) are performing requests to your server with the hostnames you are seeing in the file cache directory.

To change that you could:
- Change Apache's configuration to only listen to hostnames that you want to serve (explicitly listing your site's domain name(s)).
- Modify ModPagespeed's configuration to explicitly list what you want to allow. For Example:

        ModPagespeedDisallow *;
        ModPagespeedAllow *.yourdomain.com;

Either of these options should fix the unexpected hostnames from showing up in the configured file cached directory.

Otto

Wesley Davidson

Feb 2, 2017, 10:33:14 AM2/2/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Thanks, I will take care of that!

Wesley

Otto van der Schaaf

Feb 2, 2017, 10:44:47 AM2/2/17
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, the configuration snippet I posted was not correct, it should have looked like:

ModPagespeedDisallow *
ModPagespeedAllow http*//*.yourdomain.com/*

In short, the last line needs a wildcard at the end, and the semicolons at the end of the configuration lines should not have been there (that is ngx_pagespeed's format).

Otto