Pagespeed adds no-cache header to unoptimized PNG

Dwayne D'Souza

Jan 6, 2016, 3:17:42 AM1/6/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
I am using pagespeed 1.9.32.10-7443

When pagespeed encounters a PNG which it cannot optimize it adds the following header:

  1. Cache-Control:
    max-age=0, no-cache
This prevents the PNG file from being cached.

How can I stop pagespeed from adding this no-cache to unoptimized PNG files?

Jeff Kaufman

Jan 6, 2016, 10:19:49 AM1/6/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hmm. It shouldn't be doing that. Here's a corrupt png test image:

http://www.jefftk.com/pngsuite/xlfn0g04.png?PageSpeed=off

When PageSpeed process a page that contains this image, it only cache
extends it, not optimizes:

http://www.jefftk.com/pngsuite/xlfn0g04.png.pagespeed.ce.bAG6yb_SA5.png
Cache-Control: max-age=31536000

When I load the image with IPRO it also doesn't mark it as max-age=0:

http://www.jefftk.com/pngsuite/xlfn0g04.png
Cache-Control: max-age=300

Do you have a link for a png that has this "C-C: 0" behavior in your testing?

(I'm testing with 1.10, so it could be a 1.9 vs 1.10 difference, but I
don't think we changed anything here.)