Capabilities document - service metadata

Andrew Cowie

Jun 14, 2011, 10:37:36 PM6/14/11
to mod-ge...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

First of all, just to say brilliant work with this. We have begun tentative testing with it, and if all goes well we would move across fully from using Tilecache to using mod-geocache.
As an aside, it was a nice surprise to find we can point mod-geocache at an already built Tilecache cache (we have already nearly 1/2 TB of caches built using Tilecache so recreating them would be a lengthy process), and it seems to work so far.

My question is to do with the Capabilities document returned - we need to be able to include service level metadata such as access constraints - will this be possible? Or is it possible already?
Also, the service level abstract doesn't seem to be pulled through to the capabilities document currently...

Apologies if I have missed something in the documentation / the list here with information relating to this.

Many thanks and keep up the good work!

Cheers

Andy

thomas bonfort

Jun 28, 2011, 3:27:28 AM6/28/11
to mod-ge...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,
sorry for the late reply, I was on the road and your message slipped by...

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 04:37, Andrew Cowie <aco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> First of all, just to say brilliant work with this. We have begun tentative
> testing with it, and if all goes well we would move across fully from using
> Tilecache to using mod-geocache.
> As an aside, it was a nice surprise to find we can point mod-geocache at an
> already built Tilecache cache (we have already nearly 1/2 TB of caches built
> using Tilecache so recreating them would be a lengthy process), and it seems
> to work so far.

thanks!

> My question is to do with the Capabilities document returned - we need to be
> able to include service level metadata such as access constraints - will
> this be possible? Or is it possible already?
> Also, the service level abstract doesn't seem to be pulled through to the
> capabilities document currently...

Note that the original capabilities doc is not accessed by
mod-geocache, so none of the original metadata are propagated.

The capabilities generated by mod-geocache are missing most of the
metadata entries for the time being, and this is an area that will
undergo some change in the upcoming releases: The wms service (which
should be renamed more broadly to "ogc", as you can choose to also
proxy e.g. wfs requests) offered by mod-geocache will be able to act
as a proxy to other servers, meaning that you can forward incoming
requests to the original service for the capabilities docs. In that
case, the capabilities document could be generated by the original wms
server, meaning no duplication of the metadata entries across the wms
server and the tile server. In this scenario, mod-geocache will
intercept the getmap requests that it can treat from its cache, and
potentially forward everything else. I'm still wondering if the wms-c
vendor extension is in sufficiently wide use for it to be worth
intercepting the returned capabilities and adding that wms-c blob
inside it.

If this proxying support is not sufficient, please get in touch for a
quote to either:
- add metadata entries to the the mod-geocache config file so they are
included in the capabilities docs
- read metadata entries from the original wms server (note that this
would be done at startup, and would require an apache restart to take
modifications into account)

regards,

thomas

> Apologies if I have missed something in the documentation / the list here
> with information relating to this.
>
> Many thanks and keep up the good work!
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Andrew Cowie

Jul 13, 2011, 7:06:14 PM7/13/11
to mod-ge...@googlegroups.com
My turn to apologise, I've been on holiday last couple weeks.

Many thanks for your detailed response on these issues. We will be making the switch to mod geocache for all our data layers over the coming weeks, and will let you know how the testing goes on these. I will get back to you for a quote if we require those additional metatdata functionalities.

Thanks again

Andy

Andrew Cowie

Jul 27, 2011, 7:47:10 PM7/27/11
to mod-ge...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Just wondering if I could get your email address so we can talk about a quote for adding metadata entries to the the mod-geocache config file so they are
included in the capabilities doc?

Cheers

Andrew