Does anyone include MOOC participation on their CV/LinkedIn profile?

Rebekah Brown

Sep 7, 2012, 11:36:15 PM9/7/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com

The increased recognition of informal learning coupled with the rise of MOOCs made me think about whether participation in such courses could or should be listed on a CV or other employment profile. If you obtain a certificate of completion that could clearly be listed under education but in some cases there is no formal recognition despite a significant increase in knowledge.

Any thoughts and experience with this issue?

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Sep 8, 2012, 1:27:31 AM9/8/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Rebekah, I do include mooc in my resume. It does indeed point towards a specific type of learning, so good to add.

Op 8 sep. 2012 05:36 schreef "Rebekah Brown" <rebekah....@gmail.com> het volgende:

The increased recognition of informal learning coupled with the rise of MOOCs made me think about whether participation in such courses could or should be listed on a CV or other employment profile. If you obtain a certificate of completion that could clearly be listed under education but in some cases there is no formal recognition despite a significant increase in knowledge.

Any thoughts and experience with this issue?

Rebecca Hogue

Sep 8, 2012, 11:03:02 AM9/8/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
You raise a good point. Makes me wonder if I should include the MOOCs where I made significant contributions on my scholarship applications? I'm thinking probably yes as my contributions are mostly documented on my blog.

What do you think?

Anyone out there who reviews scholarship and grant applications want to share how they might interpret such contributions?

Cheers
Rebecca

Jeremy Brooks

Sep 8, 2012, 12:11:16 PM9/8/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rebekah
,
I think you need to distinguish between ways of acquiring knowledge and accreditation for mastery.

MOOCs are part of the shift in delivery methods that is changing how we educate ourselves. In light of this shift a multitude of delivery tools are emerging.

Established educational institutions at all levels need to respond to these changes.

Specifically they must recognize the legitimate value of emerging learning tools such as MOOC while at the same time establishing means to assess mastery of the subject and  therefore award accreditation to the candidate.

My view is that established educational institutions will become assessment and accreditation centers, whose graduates will have acquired their skills from a multitude of sources rather than from a single curriculum of their alma mater.

Jeremy Brooks

Osvaldo Rodriguez

Sep 8, 2012, 12:52:42 PM9/8/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rebecca and ALL

In what follows I assume you already have a Masters or PhD degree.

If your aim is a scholarship (semi advanced), a research grant or a position in University (i.e professor) only number of published papers count (refereed) and how many time they have been cited.

Of course the quality of the journals you published in is important. Papers with many authors count but you need to have some with you as an only author.

Papers in conferences (not referred nor published), blogs or other should be mentioned since it gives an idea of how active you are. But DO NOT COUNT in any final assessment.

This is my experience of years in CV evaluations in academia, research and grants (in Europe, US and Latin America.

Participation in a MOOC would complement somehow a CV presentation but will count nearly nothing.
If you organized a successful  activity (with international repercussion) like a MOOC it will count to some degree. Specially in the realm of online learning.

Remember, CV should include all our achievements but should be as concise as possible.

Osvaldo

Osvaldo Rodriguez
cor...@yahoo.com

Sep 8, 2012, 5:50:57 PM9/8/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, I keep an "everything CV" (you know, like those "everything bagels" ;-)  )

The everything CV includes not just published work (which admittedly is not that much) but also attendance at conferences, conference presentations, workshops taken, professional development, and seminars. Of course, I would argue that MOOCs are professional development, thus I keep track of all of them, (name of MOOC, dates in effect, who ran it, website if there is one, and what I learned).  This way, if I need to include it somewhere at some point I can.

This came up a week ago when my department asked me to complete an Annual Faculty Review. Even though I am an adjunct, and I've only taught 2 courses last year, I was asked to do this. One of the categories in the AFR information system was professional development (which included conference attendance, workshops taken, etc.).

Bottom line is that your employers may want this information at some point, so keep an "everything CV" somewhere, and tailor your "regular" CV for the jobs you apply for :-)

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Sep 8, 2012, 6:03:40 PM9/8/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
I am neither a reviewer of scholarship, nor a reviewer of grants.  I do, however look at CVs for potential faculty :)

From what I can tell, academia is pretty conservative when it comes to these things (such as open research, or open courses). That however doesn't stop me from putting stuff on my CV. There needs to be a shift in how people think of open courses, and from what I can tell there will be a dichotomy between taking a course for knowledge, versus taking it for accreditation.

Some things will require accreditation - for instance, look at FSLT12, offered by Brooke's University which is something that instructors will NEED to be able to teach, whereas there can thins like MobiMOOC that are good to attend so you can get ideas as to how to integrate mobile learning into your courses, but few institutions may require.  If something is required, the MOOC can go under an "accreditation" heading in a CV, whereas if it's done for continuing PD, it can go under a workshop.

For what it's worth, each course should have learning outcomes, and ways for assessing them. At a very minimum, if there is a certificate of participation, you have one level of certification. If objectives are made clear and are assessable by some entity, additional credentials can be issued.  Some may say that this is too much work, but look at Wiley's Open Education (openeducation.us) - only a few people got badges :-)

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Sep 9, 2012, 2:59:38 AM9/9/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
I think there are different things to consider that might affect whether or not an informal or partly formal education is listed:

academia: mostly conservative in screening: papers, keynotes...
corporate/consulting: looking for effective, practical, strategic innovations that work
informal: all of us - as experts in our field - need to stay on top of our field, this means learning. As such what we know that we can do is important, not naming certificates, but doing the actual act.

For me it is important to show that there are innovations and that I am capable of picking them up, engaging in them, knowing how they work. Why? To promote my expertise, to be asked for advice in both companies, governments and NGO's. But as I like research, my academic credentials need to increase as well (although I feel a diploma seldom shows what a person is capable of doing, it is more a certificate of conformity on the ruling ways of education.

So: I add MOOCs, especially the one's I organize. But as such it is also necessary - as Apostolos mentioned - to foresee some kind of certificate. So working on badges.... which will be finalized by Monday.... need to mention this (mental note).

Nirad Patkhedkar

Oct 20, 2013, 12:17:32 PM10/20/13
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everybody,

I am just finding this topic of MOOC as talk of the town. Some argue it is good while others say it is no match of traditional education.
I have earned 4 certificates from Coursera and pursuing for another bunch.
My argument is very simple. Principally, knowledge and hard work has a value.
No one can ignore that. So we should look at it as source of knowledge the opportunity will take care to find us.
Demand creates its own Supply.
Further, I am living in India and here education is business plus the overall state is pathetic. In this case, MOOC has proved to be big boon for the people like me. I don't have degree but I know the knowledge I am getting from this will put me far higher at least personally if not professionally.

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Oct 20, 2013, 2:45:51 PM10/20/13
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nirad,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is indeed wonderful that MOOC enable all of us to learn more then before. I admire you for gathering new knowledge, it takes courage, persistence and intelligence. it is clear you know how to grow stronger on your own account!

Best wishes,
Inge

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MobiMOOC2012" group.

Inge (Ignatia) de Waard

Blog / Twitter / LinkedIn / Presentations

Nirad Patkhedkar

Oct 20, 2013, 4:36:41 PM10/20/13
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your encouraging words.

Regards,

Nirad Patkhedkar
> Blog <http://ignatiawebs.blogspot.com> /
> Twitter<http://twitter.com/ignatia>/