On an informal assessment and recognition success.

Бугайчук Константин

Sep 9, 2012, 4:50:42 AM9/9/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com

I agree with the participants that there is a problem of the recognition of the results of MOOC by employers.

In my view, the recognition of non-formal training will be a commonplace.

However, as part of the cMOOC  will do it hard, because in  cMOOC everyone puts their goal and aims to achieve it. But in fact there is no mechanism to measure the achievements of the participants. Questionnaires and surveys do not count. That is, it is not clear whether the student has achieved their goal or not.

In xMOOS it easier to do - there is a clear agenda, clear targets and deadlines. In Colorado, as far as I know, has set off credits of Udacity.

I propose for Inge and all participants in addition to the badges of Mozilla to make a “diploma  of thanks”. We, In Ukraine, did it this summer.

Anyone who wants  can express participants gratitude for the cooperation. We send Inge our data - name, surname, place of work, position and signature specimen. And she does all of the diploma and sent out to participants when the course ended. You get a diploma in electronic form and print yourself.

The text looks like this:

"The participants of the course ....... express gratitude to each other for cooperation and mutual contribution to the informal training "

 Next, in the end of diploma, , a list of participants who have been willing to do it. A sign at the bottom of the organizers. If it will be a few pages - do not worry.

That is, it will not be a faceless character, but personalized recognition.

You can see an example here: http://bugaychuk.blogspot.com/2012/08/blog-post_19.html

Rebecca Hogue

Sep 9, 2012, 7:29:45 AM9/9/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
An interesting idea, but I wouldn't necessarily put it on Inge to do, as she is already doing a lot to make this MOOC happen. I wonder if there is an easy way we could do this "collaboration" ourselves. Perhaps a google Doc form that is shared among everyone, so that we each can add our own name, and print it ourselves when we are done -- or is there a better (perhaps a Mobile/Tablet friendly tool that would be good for that type of task?)...

I'll put the challenge out there, as unfortunately, I don't have the time to investigate further at the moment.

Cheers,
Rebecca

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Sep 9, 2012, 1:50:19 PM9/9/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
I love the list approach, it makes it more collaborative, more part of a community. It would be nice to be able to do a digital widget/badge that leads to a common document... will think about it and see what others can come up with.

In the meanwhile I realized I did not put any emphasis on the different learning engagements participants could choose from, with their resulting certificates. So will send it out asap.

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Sep 9, 2012, 2:17:09 PM9/9/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Or maybe something similar to creative commons... a digital badge that sends you to the document as Konstantin made, which in turn features all the names of the different levels of participation...? .... thinking out loud sorry... but feel free to add any ideas.

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Sep 9, 2012, 9:03:22 PM9/9/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
There could be 2 levels of "certification".
There can be an organizer-level certification where you (Inge) as organizer award badges for behaviors and learning that you foresee as important.
Then, there can be a peer-to-peer level of certification where there could be a document like the one proposed with signatures of other participants. :)

hambr...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2012, 12:15:50 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I have been in online skills training for huge companies and to expect the facilitator to sign every certificate after completed modules, is impossible.

So we developed a certificate which was linked to the test part of the modules,

The certificate became visible and download-able for the learner/worker after successfully completing tests (with 80%) after a set of modules.

The learner would type in his name and print the certificate himself.

Which by the way, was a great incentive for participation and completion of courses.

For MOOC's this could maybe be done too: An automated certificate of recognition.

I must add that its a pity that open education can't be recognized as formal credential yet.

Good luck to all MM's (MobiMOOCERS).

Kind greetings
Helga Hambrock

From: "Ignatia/Inge de Waard" <inged...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 19:50:19 +0200
Subject: Re: [MobiMOOC] On an informal assessment and recognition success.

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Sep 10, 2012, 1:35:48 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
hi all, thank you for the addtions. Okay, so far looking at what all of you suggested, this would be my suggestion (based upon: the certificate should point towards viewable content, it should be diversified (for those who want to lurk the course, those with more incentives to write ...), and linked to activity,  and both individual and collaborative:

There are three levels I feel give a nice variety of engagement:

Badges in the making :
Digital MobiMOOC apprentice badge: this is the entrance badge, if you follow the course, you can grab it.

MobiMOOC advanced learner badge: if you participated in at least two topics of MobiMOOC by starting or answering discussions in the discussion forums, and if you have shared at least one MobiMOOC blogpost or document on any of the subjects, you will earn this badge. It will be send to you in a digital format with your name on it and linked to the documents or blogposts.

MobiMOOC memorable collaborator badge: if you have actively participated in three topics (= started or answered discussions with relevant information, with per topic a blogpost or document AND written a project overview based on the mLearning template) ... you will get this badge. It will be send to you in a digital format with your name on it and when clicking on the badge it will locate what that participant has done.

So the badges are digital with links to relevant content, as such showing what is done per participant.

And for badges 'advanced learner badge' and 'memorable collaborator badge' the names of all of us who got the badge will be on a certificate.

What do you think?

hambr...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2012, 2:24:23 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Its sounds great. Thank you!
Helga

From: "Ignatia/Inge de Waard" <inged...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:35:48 +0200

Linda Tambuyser

Sep 10, 2012, 3:38:39 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
This sounds really good indeed, but wouldn't that be a lot of work for you Inge? It can't be automated, can it?

Linda

Nick Kearney

Sep 10, 2012, 3:57:01 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Sometimes giving people awards for participation can distort the conversation. Posting to learn may not be the same as posting for the badge.
I have no problem with badges if people need them, personally as an employer however if people give me this level of detail in a CV it raises concerns for me about their capacity to focus, and present themselves appropriately.
All the best
Nick

Бугайчук Константин

Sep 10, 2012, 4:10:07 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com

Great Idea Inge. Your our guru! and you decide. But our activity and collaboration is better anyway.

Nick Kearney

Sep 10, 2012, 4:20:34 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
I would add that in my view this kind of certification changes the MOOC, since it takes away the individual freedom to explore whatever and wherever with whoever that is key to the original idea of the MOOC. You may say I can still do that, but the problem is as follows:
Right now in an interview I can say I was on the mobiMOOC and I learned x y and z, and that´s fine. From the day these badges are implemented, when I say I learned on mobiMOOC I will have to produce a certificate to prove it because that certificate exists. And to get that certificate I now have to do the MOOC in a certain way. The result is that my freedom to engage with the MOOC in my own way is curtailed. You move away from the OPEN and more towards the COURSE.
The idea of levels also created distinctions that may be counter-productive. What about LEGITIMATE PERIPHERAL PARTICIPATION.

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Sep 10, 2012, 6:17:51 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Tough decisions, considerations, ideas, possible workload...

Like Linda adds, this would indeed be an intense job, for as far as I can see, except when using a test there is no automated option to add personalized badges. But... I think I could do an effort (if I do not need to sent the badges immediately after the course... giving three weeks it will be in order). The problem is, if I only add an image of a badge, anyone can pick it up, but with adding a personalized content link, it might be a small extra.

On the discussion on the effect of an informal certification on the material or the ideas that are posted. I walked around the cloister grounds pondering the ideas mentioned (I work in a cloister building, but it is now a converted to an educational institute).... so..... it could well be that if a certification is provided, the people interested in that certification might feel they have to adjust what they are sharing. But on the otherhand offering an informal certification is a voluntary addition, not something that needs to be done, but something that can be picked up by any participant or group that has an interest in it.
The fact that it is an informal certification does take away the testing aspect, which to me would go too far for this subject matter.
But if someone wants to write up a mobile learning project, write blogposts, interact with others without rubrics on content, I feel it is open enough to fit a MOOC. And it could give a stimulus to others to reflect on the subject matter, without those others needing to engage in writing themselves.

It is also a way to acknowledge those participants that make all of us think and reflect. A small way to say thank you. For a MOOC is nothing without the dynamics of participants.
I do agree that peripheral participation is an essential part of those dynamics, but it is also fun to engage in that sort of way, playful, enjoyment.

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Sep 10, 2012, 9:07:46 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
first badge is online, I made it a bit more fun taking into account what Nick said.
I have made the badge available in two formats: simple image and an image with embed code which takes the person who clicks on it immediately to the course wiki.

I am not a graphic designer, so it looks basic.
The following badges are described here:

external image WonderfulParticipantBadge_small.jpg
I will send out a specific mail on the badges in a short while. But wanted to posted here already. Thanks for all the thoughts, that helps in getting it done.

Rebecca Hogue

Sep 10, 2012, 9:46:57 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick.

You offer an interesting perspective. For me, personally, I find the idea of badges and levels of participation as motivating - although I do agree there needs to be a level that is Legitimate Peripheral Participant, as it does validate that lurking is a valid way to participate in a MOOC - the thing is, if everyone lurked, there'd be no content.

So, as someone who seeks external validation (I know that about myself), the badges provide it. Looking at Inge's like, gives me a target to work towards. That doesn't change the fact that I will adapt my learning experience to exactly what I need it to be right now, it just means that I'll also play along and ensure that I get a tick in each of the necessary boxes to qualify for the badge that I want.

I'm not sure I'll do anything with the badge itself, except perhaps post it to my website/blog. I'm not sure I'd put it on a resume or CV, as those need to be focused and often have page count limits. That being said, I will probably mention it in the category of "other academic accomplishments" on my scholarship applications.

I see the multi-level badges as a way to give people who need/want external validation, just that. But I suppose, there should be an easy way to opt in or opt out, so that people who don't want them or don't care, don't get them - mostly because there is effort involved in producing them, so there is not point in wasting that effort if people don't want it.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw in a different perspective.
Cheers,
Rebecca

Rebecca Hogue

Sep 10, 2012, 9:49:34 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Inge,

I think it is a great idea. This will be my first activity that uses badges, so I'm interested to see how they work. Will I need to register someplace? How will the system know who I am - that is, how will it know my various identities (my Twitter account, my Groups account, and my blog) so that it can capture all of them?

I love the idea of having a consolidating "portfolio" after the course, but would love to be able to pick and choose what goes in it (in case I write a stupid post, I'd like to be able to delete that from my portfolio.

Cheers,
Rebecca

Michael Sean Gallagher

Sep 10, 2012, 10:05:02 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I love this discussion and many many thanks to Inge for all the work on this. I agree with much of Nick's discussion on the (dubious?) level of detail in a CV that a badge could demonstrate and how the tiered structure of these badges can distort authentic participation (peripheral). I think the badges ability to actively manipulate the nature and volume of discussion is a point of concern that we need to keep a careful eye on. I think all assessment, in whatever form it takes, has the tendency to distort structure in some manner. So we should proceed with caution. But this is an important discussion, this assessment/acknowledgment of open learning, and the Open Badges structure is the first of what I suspect will be many open standards and projects. It will evolve with our needs and with pragmatic restrictions.

But, in my opinion, it is about accessibility. Ensuring that motivated learners from any part of the world, any part of the socioeconomic divide, can have something to show for their efforts. While it might not always resonate in many of our contexts, this collection of badges, it might resonate significantly in others. Can we foresee a future where something equivalent to a university degree can be cobbled together from a series of open courses? Is this advisable? Does it matter considering the restrictive access of higher education for many? One of the first steps in exploring all of this is the assessment issue and, as always, Inge is right out in front. So proud to be a part of this course!

Long story, short, I love the discussion! Inge, happy to pitch in to take some of this work off your shoulders!

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Sep 10, 2012, 10:43:35 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,
I too have my doubts on the effect and results of formal assessment.

For mobimooc I feel it is important that a feeling of fun is kept in learning. As such I had a simple 7 box roster in mind to create the other two badges. All simple checkboxes. To get the advanced learner badge the following boxes should be checked:

1- the participant started a discussion in topic X
2 - the participant started a discussion in topic Y
3 - the participant wrote a Blogpost linked to topic X
4 - the participant wrote a Blogpost linked to topic Y

For the memorable collaborator badge, these 4 need to be met as well as:

5 - the participant started a discussion thread on topic Z
6 - the participant wrote a Blogpost linked to topic Z
7 - the participant submitted a mlearning project overview.

For the badges, they would link to the Blogposts of that participant and their project overview if applicable.

So underlining reflection and collaboration. What needs to be written is left open. It is the intention, the willingness to share with all of us.

Michael feel free to keep up with who starts what to fill in the checkboxes, I could make a simple form for that.

Op 10 sep. 2012 16:05 schreef "Michael Sean Gallagher" <gallagher....@gmail.com> het volgende:

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Sep 10, 2012, 10:56:24 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
I would have to say that Open and Course are part and parcel of a MOOC. You can't have a MOOC without one of them.  For what it's worth, at the heart of things a MOOC is still a course, and you can't get over that.  Courses DO have goals and objectives which determine which tools, materials, and "official" methods of communication will be part of the course.  It is these goals that determine who gets accredited, and who does not. If this were not the case, it wouldn't be a MOOC, but a MOOS (massive online open social) or MOOOM (Massive Online Open Open-Microphone). These are fundamentally different from a MOOC.

Since is MOOC is open (and one of those parts if open to tread your own path) people can tread their own path and develop a portfolio of artefacts that they have created based on their learnings in MobiMOOC.  I think that legitimate peripheral participation is important, but how is that quantifiable?  And also, if one is a lurker, how does that impact other classmates? After all, the central theme of a MOOC is connectivism, and for connectivism to work you need people, not just inanimate resources (think video lectures, and robograded quizzes on coursera xMOOCs).  My learning is impacted by what my fellow MOOCers contribute to the discussion.  This is what made mobimooc 2011 really valuable for me - lots of interesting people talking about a topic of mutual interest. While I think that people should be allowed to lurk in MOOCs (after all, MOOCs are open), I don't spend too much time thinking about how to accredit lurkers :-)  But that's just me :-)

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Sep 10, 2012, 10:59:26 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
I have to say, I wasn't going to submit an mLearning project proposal because the monetary amount wasn't something I was going after. I came to the MOOC to learn more, and interact with others around the topic of mLearning.  That said,  I see that the third level badge requires the project proposal, so I may just put something together for it :-) I am probably just going to have the badges in my backpack, a memento of the good times of MobiMOOC 2012. They probably won't go on my formal CV, but they are good to have, and as such, for me, they are motivating.

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Sep 10, 2012, 11:06:55 AM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting points Michael :-)

I was reading this on my way to work (on my phone) this morning and I was interrogating how I think of MOOCs and badges.
It struck me that I tend to think of MOOCs as an open-world simulation game (such as Fable).  Computer games don't just have one or two badges, but they have a multiplicity of badges for a lot of different outcomes such as:
player completes level x on y difficulty
player has collected x of y rare items
player has played through x level on multiplayer
and so on...

MOOCs are courses, and as courses have certain outcomes. But, unlike traditional courses where there is one path to completion, MOOCs are like open-world sims that allow the learner to move along and make progress in a way that they see fit, BUT like open-world sims there are domain boundaries (in our case, mLearning being that domain). So long as you stay with the domain boundaries you can progress toward completion.  Completion, in the game sense, means making it to the final boss and finishing the game.  it does not mean that you get to collect all the badges in the game (as a matter of fact, in myst games I only get about 33-50% of the badges when I "complete" a game).

There are people obsessive about achievements (badges) and get all of them, but there are others like me who are interested in the storyline and any badges I get are incidental.  This, to me, is a good description of MOOCs. By designing a variety of badges for a variety of potential learning outcomes (based on the domain boundaries determined by course designers and presenters), you can have a variety of accredited ways of completing the MOOC.

Then, of course, we'd have to tackle the meaning of "what does completion mean"....but that is a topic for another thread ;-)
I think we need a good Meta-MOOC (#moocmooc just didn't do it for me ;-)  )

Rebecca Hogue

Sep 10, 2012, 4:17:05 PM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Apostolos,

I had a similar reaction to the project. The money wasn't the carrot that I needed, although I won't say no if it is offered, but the need to do it for the badge is the carrot I need to fill in the form. My project will be tlearning specific and might not fit the grove, but still gets to count :

Cheers
Rebecca

Rebecca Hogue

Sep 10, 2012, 4:20:07 PM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Ahhh, but the first week of any good MOOC involves a discussion or two about the structure of MOOCs. In that sense they are all meta MOOCs

Nick Kearney

Sep 10, 2012, 5:49:44 PM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Without wishing to go much further at this moment, I would make the observation that these criteria do condition the discussions. Starting a conversation is different to continuing one, and the nature of a blogpost is different to direct engagement with what is said in a thread here in Groups. According to these criteria blog participation is therefore valued above more direct interaction, and initiation is valued above considered response. Worth thinking about, perhaps.
Best
Nick

Nick Kearney

Sep 10, 2012, 8:10:45 PM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
El 10/09/2012 15:46, Rebecca Hogue escribi�:
> Hi Nick.
>
> You offer an interesting perspective. For me, personally, I find the idea of badges and levels of participation as motivating - although I do agree there needs to be a level that is Legitimate Peripheral Participant, as it does validate that lurking is a valid way to participate in a MOOC - the thing is, if everyone lurked, there'd be no content.
Hi Rebecca
I think there are "total lurkers", and I guess they can be considered,
arguably, "freeloaders" of some kind. But in fact we are all lurkers to
some degree, we choose which threads to focus on, and those we choose
not to participate in may be impoverished by our absence. That is
obvious of course and unavoidable, but looked at that way the idea of
the legitimacy of peripheral particpation becomes more valuable. We
participate in the ways that suit us best, and that is the key value of
the MOOC as a model, especially in a CPD context such as this one, it
may be that someone who is only present in one thread enormously
enriches that thread and as a result the experience as a whole. The
literature on LPP, which comes from the work on Communities of Practice,
by Lave and Wenger, and Brown and Duguid idea is based on observation of
existing communitie sof practice those authors researched and there they
construe it as a natural and arguably necessary part of the activity of
a professional community. If MOOCs such as this one, which seems to
involve a group of professionals in the field of mobile learning, are to
be understood as supporting continuing professional development, then
the literature would seem to suggest that LPP is rather than a kind of
necessary evil, an integral part of the process of learning in a
community. Maybe worth thinking about.
Interesting also the idea of "no content", I always saw the key to MOOCs
as located in conversations. The content part is easy, and though it is
helpful to have it brought together in one place, we all have ways of
doing that part on our own for any subject we are interested in. I�d
even suggest that the C, at least in the original connectivist model,
could stand for Conversation rather than Course. With regard to lurking
then I would say the problem is that if everybody lurked there would be
no Conversations!
The lurker issue is also it seems to me a key to the limits of MOOC as a
concept. If we use a blog, or Twitter, or simply comment on the blogs of
others, we are in a sense involved in a continuous conversation about
our chosen field of focus, and if we do this in a mindful way, we
probably have a series of more or less defined objectives, and resources
that we use, people we engage with... where does the MOOC break down.
Perhaps when the conversation disappears?
This is actually I am not certain that the xMOOC model (an e-learning
course with loads of people by another name) actually has anything to do
with the MOOC concept. MOC perhaps, Massive Online Course, MOCD, Massive
Online Content Delivery, or even MUC, Massive University Course, but
MOOC? I'm less sure of that!
Best
Nick

Rebecca Hogue

Sep 10, 2012, 11:08:05 PM9/10/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,

I LOVE the idea of changing the C in MOOC from "course" to "conversation". Last summer, I participated in EduMOOC. There I argued it wasn't a MOOC because it lacked the curation that is necessary to focus the conversations - and frankly, the conversations were not there either - and I would argue that is because of the lack of structure. The "course" consisted of a title and a list of journals - that was it. No learning objectives (which I mused on here - http://rjh.goingeast.ca/2011/06/26/in-search-of-learning-objectives-edumooc/) - which for me meant that the "C" that is course was missing.

So, I think a MOOC needs a certain amount of structure in order for the conversation to occur. We all need something to help being us together into the same room and kickstart our conversations.

cMOOC = Massively Open Online Conversations :)

Cheers,
Rebecca

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Sep 11, 2012, 1:11:02 PM9/11/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Nick,

I agree with you about the xMOOC not really being a MOOC.

I actually think that "no content" is really a misunderstanding of traditional MOOCs.  There is indeed content.  If you look at previous MOOCs there is some morsel of content that gets people going.  This content might be a Weekly Blackboard Collaborate sessions where some Subject Expert (SME) speaks for an hour or so, and that gets people going.  Or it might be some open articles, or some collection blog posts or podcasts.  There is always content to start with, and then the participation breeds more content to go through.  In last year's mobimooc for instance we had Luymomir (one of our prolific posters) post a lot of different academic resources relevant to mLearning.

I think that (in a sense) there might not be content if we equate content with a body of knowledge that is then examined as part of an assessment and certification process, but there is content there.  Now, the big question is whether participants choose to engage with that content or not :-)

Τη Δευτέρα, 10 Σεπτεμβρίου 2012 8:10:56 μ.μ. UTC-4, ο χρήστης Nick Kearney έγραψε:
El 10/09/2012 15:46, Rebecca Hogue escribi�:
doing that part on our own for any subject we are interested in. I�d

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Sep 11, 2012, 1:15:52 PM9/11/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Let me play devil's advocate here and ask:  if we change the "C" to "conversation", then how is a MOOC different from a plain ol' discussion for from years ago? or from IRC chat, or distribution lists, or any other type of conversation around a specific topic?

I have to say, that for me, eduMOOC was a bit of a fail (for me anyway).  As a conversational space it may not have been bad - but my expectation was that of a course (set by CCK11, mobimooc, and LAK11)

Nick Kearney

Sep 12, 2012, 7:07:28 AM9/12/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
El 11/09/2012 19:15, Apostolos Koutropoulos escribió:
> Let me play devil's advocate here and ask: if we change the "C" to
> "conversation", then how is a MOOC different from a plain ol'
> discussion for from years ago? or from IRC chat, or distribution
> lists, or any other type of conversation around a specific topic?
I think that question can also be asked in relation to the word Course.
:) Particularly in relation to xMOOCs. The key in a name is where you
want to place the emphasis.

> I have to say, that for me, eduMOOC was a bit of a fail (for me
> anyway). As a conversational space it may not have been bad - but my
> expectation was that of a course (set by CCK11, mobimooc, and LAK11)
Horses for courses , I guess. I am always looking for the conversation!!!!
Best
Nick

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Sep 12, 2012, 10:23:59 AM9/12/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Seems like a chicken, or egg, discussion we've gotten ourselves into Nick ;-)

I guess, what it boils down to, is that a course is fundamentally finite. There is a beginning, middle, and end (whether there is an assessment or not doesn't matter right now).
Conversations are generally non-finite.  Individual conversations can be finite...then again, go to any forum and you will probably find a thread that is thousands of posts long, spanning many years, because people don't let it die :)  We all learn from our day to day activities and conversations, but there is something comforting in knowing that a course (even with conversations as part of it) has a finite boundary. It makes it easier to participate in knowing that only a finite set of resources are required on the part of the learner (time being one of those resources)

Nick Kearney

Sep 12, 2012, 2:08:39 PM9/12/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting!
If a course is finite, it follows perhaps that it has a bounded set of items to be covered, and by extension that someone knows what they are and can tell others, which seems to me to be what is implicit in the xMOOC model.
The cMOOC to me seems to accept that knowledge is unbounded and emergent, and that we need to cater to that. That of course does not preclude temporal limits to the conversation to make it manageable (though people carry on after in the bar!)
Anyhow, as you say it is chicken and egg and it is perhaps joining an epistemological conversation that has been going on for hundreds of years.
(Though I am interested in how to capture the bar conversations!!!!)

Amit Garg

Sep 13, 2012, 9:25:22 AM9/13/12
to mobimo...@googlegroups.com
Again a great discussion

I think both the course (loosely defined one) and the conversations around it are very important for a MOOC to deliver on its promise.
And am in agreement with Inge's proposal for 3 levels of badges/recognition.

Regards,
Amit