I must be missing an important setup step...

James Hughes

Aug 21, 2013, 1:05:56 PM8/21/13
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
I am relatively new to emacs and org mode. Very new to mobileorg. I have installed Aquamacs on my macbook pro. I have installed emacsforwindows on my windows machine. I am keeping one .org file in my dropbox called todo.org. It is located at /dropbox/o/org/todo.org. I have been able to sync these via dropbox seamlessly and my updates appear on both machines.

I installed mobileorg based on the instructions that I read here: http://mobileorg.ncogni.to/doc/getting-started/using-dropbox/ onto my Galaxy S4 (Verizon)

The first problem I encountered was mobileorg not syncing to dropbox. I solved that by updating the version of org-mode in aquamacs to version 8.0.7. M-x org-version confirms that this is my version inside of aquamacs. I also learned that I have to first run M-x org-mobile-push, which pushed the data to the server and thus generated the necessary files in my dropbox.

My preferences.el file for aquamacs contains the following:

;; Set to the location of your Org files on your local system
(setq org-directory "~/Dropbox/O/org")
;; Set to the name of the file where new notes will be stored
(setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull "~/Dropbox/O/org/flagged.org")
;; Set to <your Dropbox root directory>/MobileOrg.
(setq org-mobile-directory "~/Dropbox/Apps/MobileOrg")

If I navigate to these locations, they all exist, and they contain the following files:

MobileOrg folder contains agendas.org, checksums.dat, index.org, mobileorg.org
/O/org folder contains, flagged.org, and todo.org (but I manually created flagged.org, it is blank. And todo.org was of my own creation from weeks ago.)

When I open mobileorg on my galaxy S4 and I sync mobileorg, however, I can't see the contents of todo.org, which contains "my life" essentially. I am selecting the Dropbox/apps/mobileorg folder to sync from.
All I see is the following:

"Agenda views..."

Which leads to:
"Agenda>Week-agenda (W34):...
ALL TODO>ToDo: ALL
Agenda and all TODO's>Week-agenda (W34):...
Agenda and all TODO's>ToDo: ALL"

Clicking anything in here is blank. I simply want to see my TODO items in todo.org that I created some time ago...

Thanks for any help.

Robert Eckl

Aug 21, 2013, 6:32:20 PM8/21/13
to mobileorg-android on behalf of James Hughes, James Hughes via mobileorg-android
Am 21.08.2013 19:05, schrieb James Hughes via mobileorg-android:
[...]

Instead of M-x org-mobile-push  also is possible
  C-c C-x RET p

[...]

Try to add your file todo.org to the file list for agenda:
 - load todo.org into emacs
 - C-c [    (Menu Org  File-list-for-agenda)

HTH,
Robert

Matthew Jones

Aug 22, 2013, 1:12:45 AM8/22/13
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
Follow what Robert said... org-mobile from within emacs will only sync the files you have specified in your org-agenda-files.

Here are my relevant entries in my config file:

(setq org-directory "~/org/")
(setq org-mobile-directory "/scpc:user@host:/home/user/org/")
(setq org-agenda-files '("~/org/personal.org"
                         "~/org/notes.org"
                         "~/org/projects.org"
                         "~/org/work.org"))

That's literally all you need to do, note that my org-mobile-directory is on a remote system.

Also... I might add that you were following instructions on the IOS app's documentation site... it looks like you never referenced the Android app's wiki:

Or the documentation on the org-mode site itself:

Which would have shown you what to do.

James Hughes

Aug 27, 2013, 4:24:46 PM8/27/13
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for your help. I had seen your second link, Matthew, but not the first. Nonetheless I have it all sorted out now.
Thanks!