unfortunate behavior with org-mobile-pull

wfo...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2014, 4:56:25 PM6/13/14
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've noticed a few other posts that seem perhaps related to this issue, but here's what was happening to me.

All I was trying to do was clock-in on a given node from the MobileOrg menu that you get when a node is selected. The problem was that I was getting very inconsistent results when I then tried pulling those edits down while in Emacs on my Macbook Pro (running OS X 10.8). My org/emacs versions are (where's the markdown formatting?!):

Org-mode version 8.2.6 (8.2.6-47-ge3d2c1-elpa @/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/lisp/)

GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1187.39) of 2014-01-23

Below are three examples of the kinds of errors I would get, depending on the node I had selected. I also describe the fix I discovered.

* Heading not found on level 4: 2014 F(edit:body) [[olp:projects.org:editing/writings/2011-2014/2014/HS-era][2014/HS-era]]

The above error stemmed from using a / (that is, a forward slash) in the heading text, which was
* 2014/HS-era

Perhaps not using slashes in a heading is obvious to some people, as I notice now--looking at the fully-fleshed out olp text above--that the slash appears to be used in the formatting of the node-structure into a link.

Or something. Removing the slash and using a space allowed me to pull the changes without the "Heading Not Found" error.

However, the following errors were the result of something else that was squirrely.

* Body was changed in MobileOrg and on the computer F(edit:body) [[olp:projects.org:editing/writings/2011-2014/2014 HS-era][2014 HS-era]]

* Before first headline at position 122 in buffer notes.org F(edit:body) [[olp:notes.org:notes on managing org-projects][notes on managing org-projects]]

The last one reminded me of something ("All of these edits placed the node one level too high") in this post:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/mobileorg-android/org-mobile-pull/mobileorg-android/lTBl86Pg_qQ/t3oG7IhFvqEJ

My solution was to insert a "dead-node" at the very top of each file. For some reason, that seemed to ensure that the :LOGBOOK: drawer appeared in the correct place without producing those error messages (Perhaps this has something to with the fact that I have set the following customization '(org-clock-into-drawer t) in my .emacs?)

Anyway, hope that helps somebody. Presumably a problem in org-mode??

Best,
Will

PS. Never saw a follow-up to this issue in gmane:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/64989

Ed R

Oct 4, 2014, 8:07:31 PM10/4/14
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
I think I am getting close to deal with this level problem.

Where the proper place to put a dead node in a file.

On emacs on the computer side?

*
** start here

Thanks

Edmond Rodriguez

Dec 28, 2014, 6:47:50 PM12/28/14
to mobileorg-android
Can someone explain mobile org pulling to me?

I have everyting set up.

I create a file on desktop. Something like this:
* A
** b

I save it, and do a "push".

I sync the smart phone (mobile-org).

All is well... it is there on the phone.

On the phone, I add a "c". So now it's:

I sync it.

On computer I do a "pull". I get a mesage that there are errors.
(Heading not found on level 1).

Any comments?

Thanks.

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Ed R via mobileorg-android
<mobileorg-android+noreply-APn2wQ...@googlegroups.com>