Edit failed, looking for node on the wrong level?

James Harkins

Dec 3, 2012, 9:51:16 AM12/3/12
to mobileorg-android
Not sure if this was already reported... earlier today, I edited a
node on level 4 (added a payload). Synchronizing and pulling got me
this in from-mobile.org:

* Heading not found on level 1: Audio class F(edit:addheading)
[[olp:semester-fall.org:Audio class/Sessions/Audio class 14/To include
from last week][To include from last week]]
** Old value

** New value
Dump or abbreviate "specific drums" section
** End of edit

If I'm reading the error message correctly, is looking for "To include
from last week" on "level 1," which I suppose means one asterisk, when
it actually exists in the file at level 4. But the olp: link target
does reflect all the parent nodes.

I'm not totally sure how I should interpret this. Thanks.

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
jamsh...@dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

Henning Weiss

Dec 3, 2012, 10:04:55 AM12/3/12
to mobileorg-android on behalf of hjh
Please post the version of mobileorg and org-mode you are using.

Henning

James Harkins

Dec 4, 2012, 9:03:53 AM12/4/12
to mobileorg-android on behalf of Henning Weiss

On Dec 3, 2012 11:04 PM, "mobileorg-android on behalf of Henning Weiss" <mobileor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Please post the version of mobileorg and org-mode you are using.

MobileOrg is the very latest from the google play store (updated minutes ago -- the first bugfix release). Org-mode is 7.9-34-g4ca67b.

hjh

Henning Weiss

Dec 4, 2012, 10:04:11 AM12/4/12
to mobileorg-android on behalf of hjh
Ok, it seems that this is a bug in the org-mobile-pull function in org-mode. It would be helpful if you could try to narrow down a setup when this happens. I'm aware that under certain circumstances the nodes aren't added correctly, but I haven't managed to figure out when this happens. This has to do with how the particular org-mode function finds the heading it is trying to create the heading under. Can you try adding/removing newlines and headings in between the relevant entries and describe what works and what doesn't?

Even though this is a org-mode issue you can create a bug report in our issue tracker.

Henning

James Harkins

Dec 7, 2012, 2:30:54 AM12/7/12

On Dec 4, 2012 11:04 PM, "mobileorg-android on behalf of Henning Weiss" <mobileor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Ok, it seems that this is a bug in the org-mobile-pull function in org-mode. It would be helpful if you could try to narrow down a setup when this happens.

I finally figured this out. I want to have a different file name for my school org file depending on fall or spring semester, but I hoped to avoid changing org-agenda-files once a semester. So I symlinked semester-fall.org to ~/Documents/mobileorg/semester.org.

It seems that org-mobile-push resolves the symlink to determine the filename to drop into the online share. So MobileOrg knows about semester-fall.org, but there is no file by that name in the directory containing the files used for org agendas. (I already found, the hard way, that mobileorg doesn't like it if those files live in more than one directory.) So, org-mobile-pull opens an empty buffer for semester-fall.org and, as it's empty, of course the parent node can't be found.

So it seems not a mobileorg bug at all, but rather a "Why the blippity-blank does org-mode not simply use the org-agenda-files names *as I gave them*, instead of 'cleverly' replacing them with the symlink targets' names?" I know org-mode is super-humanly smart, but I'm not crazy about it second-guessing me...

hjh

Matthew Jones

Dec 7, 2012, 10:38:50 AM12/7/12
to mobileorg-android on behalf of hjh
org-mode, for being a simple plain text format, is *really* complicated when you dig down into the details.

hjh

Aaron Peromsik

Dec 7, 2012, 10:52:19 AM12/7/12
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
> (I already found, the hard way, that mobileorg doesn't like it if those files live in more than one directory.)

I haven't had trouble with files in different subdirectories of org-directory.  Not sure if that could help you.

-- Aaron

James Harkins

Dec 7, 2012, 8:07:40 PM12/7/12
to mobileorg-android on behalf of Aaron Peromsik

On Dec 7, 2012 11:52 PM, "Aaron Peromsik via mobileorg-android" <mobileorg-android+noreply-APn2wQ...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> > (I already found, the hard way, that mobileorg doesn't like it if those files live in more than one directory.)
>
> I haven't had trouble with files in different subdirectories of org-directory.  Not sure if that could help you.

No, it's not feasible for me to move all the agenda files under the same org-directory (subdirectories or no).

I'll ask on the org mailing list why symlinks are resolved to the target filenames.

hjh

James Harkins

Dec 8, 2012, 3:46:56 AM12/8/12
to mobileorg-android on behalf of Henning Weiss
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM, mobileorg-android on behalf of
Henning Weiss <mobileor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Ok, it seems that this is a bug in the org-mobile-pull function in org-mode.
> It would be helpful if you could try to narrow down a setup when this
> happens. I'm aware that under certain circumstances the nodes aren't added
> correctly, but I haven't managed to figure out when this happens.

I found another specific bug that is not related to the filename scenario:

* Heading not found on level 1: SC stuff F(edit:addheading)
[[olp:agenda_main.org:SC stuff/FAQs to write [29/44]][SC stuff/FAQs to
write [29/44]]]

There's a slash in the heading, and mobileorg truncates the
edit-heading at the /.

Henning Weiss

Dec 9, 2012, 7:30:23 AM12/9/12
to mobileorg-android on behalf of hjh
Please post a bug report about handling slashes in edit nodes.

Joao Brito

Sep 5, 2014, 7:36:27 PM9/5/14
Em sábado, 8 de dezembro de 2012 06h46min56s UTC-2, hjh escreveu:

> I found another specific bug that is not related to the filename scenario:
>

> * Heading not found on level 1: SC stuff F(edit:addheading)
>
> [[olp:agenda_main.org:SC stuff/FAQs to write [29/44]][SC stuff/FAQs to
>
> write [29/44]]]
>

> There's a slash in the heading, and mobileorg truncates the
>
> edit-heading at the /.
>

> hjh

I use org-mode in Windows and I had problems to sync headline with slashes, too.
I took them off and now it seems ok. Tks.