Calendar sync is broken on my tablet (but not my phone)

James Harkins

Aug 21, 2013, 10:03:30 PM8/21/13
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

A few days ago, I opened an issue on the github tracker [1] after noticing that syncing on my tablet no longer updates the tablet's calendar. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped working, but I suspect it was around the same time as an android OS update.

I've tested both 0.9.8 and 0.9.13, same problem. It's not a regression in mobileorg.

Concrete example -- in semester.org, I have this:

** First teachers' meeting
SCHEDULED: <2013-08-29 Thu 14:00-15:30>

This appears in the mobileorg outline, with the correct scheduled date/time. But the tablet's calendar is empty.

The last thing I tried today was to force quit mobileorg, delete all the app data through the tablet's Settings > Apps panel, then reconfigure mobileorg completely from scratch and re-sync. Same result -- nothing on the calendar.

I could work around the problem using the now-working dynamic agendas, except that dynamic agendas don't support date filtering AFAICS (oops).

Any other ideas? My first suspicion is that something in the Android API changed with the OS update and mobileorg hasn't caught up. That would explain why 0.9.8 did sync my calendar for a year and then stopped after an OS upgrade.

hjh

[1] https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues/409

James Harkins

Aug 26, 2013, 10:57:22 PM8/26/13
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
At Thu, 22 Aug 2013 10:03:30 +0800,
James Harkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few days ago, I opened an issue on the github tracker [1] after noticing that syncing on my tablet no longer updates the tablet's calendar. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped working, but I suspect it was around the same time as an android OS update.

Bump?

Anyone having any problems with this? It's rather annoying not to have a calendar view on my tablet.

Requoting the question below. Thanks.

hjh

James Harkins

Aug 29, 2013, 10:48:37 PM8/29/13
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
At Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:57:22 +0800,
James Harkins wrote:
> At Thu, 22 Aug 2013 10:03:30 +0800,
> James Harkins wrote:
> > A few days ago, I opened an issue on the github tracker [1] after noticing that syncing on my tablet no longer updates the tablet's calendar. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped working, but I suspect it was around the same time as an android OS update.
>
> Bump?
>
> Anyone having any problems with this? It's rather annoying not to have a calendar view on my tablet.

One additional piece of information: another user told me (on the org/emacs list) that he isn't having a problem with calendar sync on his Nexus 7 (but didn't confirm the build number, just said "latest Jelly Bean").

On a side note, this list is usually quite responsive to user issues, so it surprises me that my problem here sat on github for a week without any response, and then another full week here on the mailing list also with no response.

I understand there isn't enough information yet to solve the problem. I'm happy to gather more information if someone would tell me where to look.

Thanks,
hjh

PS Usually I don't requote big blocks of text, but here, it's useful for context.

Matthew Jones

Aug 29, 2013, 11:16:17 PM8/29/13
to mobileorg-android on behalf of hjh
Hey, I have to apologize for this.  Henning and I have both been pretty busy.   It's probably going to be a couple of weeks before I can really dedicate any time to this.

In the meantime if you have the time to do some debugging... our Calender handling code is located here:

My thought is that the issue is probably localized somewhere in here:

That's our interface to query and insert Calender records.  I'm not sure if this issue is throwing errors or how far back down it goes (Can we still list calenders?)  a good place to start may be to see if we are emitting any errors into logcat... if not adding some Log messages in there and/or comparing our calender usage to the apis themselves might be required.

Is this something you think you can take on?   My thought is that the api itself hasn't changed drastically but there is some nuance that might be overlooked.... especially if the app isn't outright crashing.

James Harkins

Aug 31, 2013, 8:21:54 AM8/31/13
to mobileorg-android on behalf of Matthew Jones

On Aug 30, 2013 11:16 AM, "mobileorg-android on behalf of Matthew Jones" <mobileor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Hey, I have to apologize for this.  Henning and I have both been pretty busy.   It's probably going to be a couple of weeks before I can really dedicate any time to this.

That's fine... mainly I just wanted some confirmation that the issue got registered. It's actually not four-alarm-fire urgent for me, since it's fine on my phone. I can live with it like this for a few weeks.

My semester starts this week and that's going to cut pretty deeply into the time I have to cross-check APIs. I'll check it out if I can. I'm not set up to build Android apps, but I can download apk of testing builds.

Thanks in advance -- and again, it's an annoyance for me at this point, but livable. (In some ways, I'm more concerned that potentially a whole class of devices can't sync to the calendar.)

hjh