mobile-org with multiple home devices

1maom...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2013, 7:37:31 AM12/7/13
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
What's the safest way to do mobile-org with one mobile device and a couple of regular emacs (linux) installs? Example: desktop with linux, mobile syncing to desktop using SSH, and a laptop that I also want to make edits with.

Leandro Noferini

Dec 9, 2013, 4:04:23 PM12/9/13
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
mobileorg-android+noreply-APn2wQcDVDSTkozuWdX9C6saSzDwuTk-Wk0tPN-/JYPxA39Uh5...@public.gmane.org
writes:
I have an accomodation like this:

- a little home server always up with a repository updated via unison
and ssh
- a desktop and a portatile updating via unison
- a mobile updating via ssh.

It works very well!

--
leandro
http://6xukrlqedfabdjrb.onion

Eric S Fraga

Dec 10, 2013, 8:08:16 AM12/10/13
to mobileorg-android
I agree. I keep three systems (office, home, netbook) in sync using
unison (brilliant tool!) and the phone by using mobileorg (although
trying to eventually get emacs+unison working on a phone...).

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.2.4-322-gece429

Jason McBrayer

Dec 10, 2013, 10:31:07 AM12/10/13
to mobileorg-android
mobileorg-android on behalf of Eric Fraga
<mobileor...@googlegroups.com> writes:
> I agree. I keep three systems (office, home, netbook) in sync using
> unison (brilliant tool!) and the phone by using mobileorg (although
> trying to eventually get emacs+unison working on a phone...).

If your phone is rooted, you could run Lil Debi, which would give you
emacs+unison.

My approach has been to have a Mercurial repository on my server at
home, which keeps my actual org-mode files (not my mobile-org staging
directory). Work on other full-fledged computers just gets synced via
Mercurial. The home server runs the emacs that pushes and pulls the
mobile-org staging directory, and commits those changes to the Mercurial
repo.

JFM

Eric S Fraga

Dec 11, 2013, 3:38:06 AM12/11/13
to mobileorg-android on behalf of Jason McBrayer
mobileorg-android on behalf of Jason McBrayer
<mobileor...@googlegroups.com> writes:

[...]

> If your phone is rooted, you could run Lil Debi, which would give you
> emacs+unison.

Thanks for the pointer to Lil Debian. Interesting! And tempting
although my phone is not currently rooted.

The constraint is actually the keyboard. I do have Emacs 24 on my phone
already. I need to play with bluetooth keyboards.

But, actually, I am getting convinced that what I want is a separate
palmtop computer, e.g. the OpenPandora, and have the phone be a phone
(and wifi AP)...

1maom...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2013, 9:12:52 PM12/11/13
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
For the unison users, here's a question: say I make changes on my phone, then sync with MobileOrg to the home machine; how do I get those changes to propagate to the laptop without going home, pulling through Emacs and pushing through unison at home?

Eric S Fraga

Dec 13, 2013, 8:32:42 AM12/13/13
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
<mobileorg-android+noreply-APn2wQ...@googlegroups.com>
writes:
It all depends on your typical use. I would do a mobile pull on the
laptop, assuming you can do so. Later, unison would ensure that the
changes on the laptop would be propagated to the home system. I have my
systems set up so I can pull from anywhere.

Unison works best if you use it consistently. My typical scenario is:

home: do some work
home: unison w/server
laptop: unison w/server while connected at home
laptop: use on train or whatever
laptop: unison w/server when connected to work network
office: unison w/server
office: work work work (and no play ;-)
office: unison w/server
laptop: unison w/server over work network
laptop: use on train or whatever
laptop: unison w/server over home network
home: unison w/server
home: go to first step above

the point is to bound all activity on any given system with two
invocations of unison, one before and one after. In any of the above, I
could do an org-mobile-pull so long as I do it during the "activity" on
a system.

Note that, in the above, there is an implicit assumption that the
"server" is always available.

HTH,
eric

1maom...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2014, 6:27:26 PM1/3/14
to mobileor...@googlegroups.com
2013年12月13日金曜日 3時32分42秒 UTC-10 Eric Fraga:
So the staging area is also synchronized! That makes sense. One problem that comes up is soft links into the org directory, but I guess that has to be handled on its own. Thanks!