Cnc Machine Improvements

Josh Rhodes

Feb 3, 2013, 2:03:36 AM2/3/13
When I started the CNC machine, I was a little bored and a little broke (but not totally)
So it was made to pack in as much value for my work and materials as possible.
(aka Cheap)

So when our group first met up I donated the machine to the maker group. In the process of working on it I ended up looking into some parts that would greatly improve the accuracy and smoothness of the machine.I was totally surprised with what I found!! Every component I looked at was 1/8th the price it would have been in 2007 when I originally built it. I am certain there is nothing more to thank for this fact that the Rep Rap and the flurry of 3d printers concieved since its release (all of which was after 2007)..

Rick urged me to put together a wish list, so here I am finally doing that. Unfortunately my financial standing hasn't changed much so I don't know when or how much funds I could pour into it but here goes..

Another thing that happened is Adafruit started carrying most of these parts This Weekend!

It's a 3 axis machine so we need 3 of everything..

Couplers: Connect the motors to the threaded rod
3 x $5 @Adafruit $15 http://www.adafruit.com/products/1176

Rail Supports: Support and positions the precision rails
12 x $4 @Adafruit $48 http://www.adafruit.com/products/1182

3 x $13 @ Ebay $39
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PCS-SK8-8mm-Linear-Rail-Shaft-Support-FOR-XYZ-Table-CNC-Router-Milling-/290818892615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b6282347

Linear Bearings: Provide smooth and precise movement

9 x $3 @Adafruit $27 http://www.adafruit.com/products/1181
10pk $8 @Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-8-mm-LM8UU-Linear-Motion-Machinery-Linear-Ball-Bear-Bearing-Bush-Bushing-/300733022823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460515c267

8mm Shaft: The bearings need something to ride on (not totally certain how much of this we need, but I already have some from another build)
6 x $10 @Vxb http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit1001
2 x $20 @ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/8mm-Shaft-30-762mm-Hardened-Rod-Linear-Motion-/130770202406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7282ef26

Total cost:
Adafruit: $150
Ebay: $102
Many of the dimesions of the machine would change while adding these parts, but its all workable..

Edit: Y'all are just gonna have to copy the links, for some reason the group is buggy in my browser.