AppleTV update

Jens Alfke

Oct 15, 2015, 6:30:40 PM10/15/15
to Couchbase Mobile
I got Couchbase Lite to pass all its unit tests on AppleTV, and updated the release/1.1.1-appletv branch accordingly. I also made some minor changes to the Building Couchbase Lite wiki page to mention tvOS.

We plan to offer a pre-built framework, the way we do for iOS and Mac OS, but for now the toolchain is still in beta (Xcode 7.1b3) so our release team is waiting for a final version.

We’d love to hear from anyone who’s working on an AppleTV app with Couchbase Lite in it.

—Jens

john....@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2015, 8:28:47 AM10/16/15
to Couchbase Mobile
just curious. did you have to change actual objective-c code to make couchbase run on AppleTV?
Jens, are you also doing  the IOS development? if yes ..repect..
John

Jens Alfke

Oct 16, 2015, 2:32:04 PM10/16/15
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 16, 2015, at 5:28 AM, john....@gmail.com wrote:

just curious. did you have to change actual objective-c code to make couchbase run on AppleTV?

Actually the only code I had to change was to +[CBLManager defaultDirectory], to use the Caches directory instead of Application Support when running on tvOS. (Because that’s the only writeable directory.) Everything else appears to be compatible between iOS and tvOS.

And really, the changes to the project were just to duplicate a whole bunch of iOS targets, rename them, change their SDKs to tvOS, and fix their dependencies and interlinkage. Which was still a total pain in the ass (one of the few times I’ve wished that we used makefiles instead of an IDE, because copy/paste and search/replace would be so much easier!)

—Jens