Official guide for public channel support

Christoph Berlin

Dec 25, 2014, 4:52:58 PM12/25/14
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

First of all, happy holidays everyone.

We would have a quick question regarding creating a public channel - the question is how? :) We read nearly all previous posts about this subject and tried to make sense of the documentation but it is still not clear to use what is actually support and more importantly recommended. Here are our requirements:

  1. While every user (group) has its own channels to access their data, we need a public channel that ALL users can access. The idea behind this public channel is to distribute configuration files and updates.
  2. When a new user gets created, it must have immediate access and it shouldn't matter whether this user originates from Facebook or custom auth.
  3. Users should only have read access to those documents that distributed through those channels
Any pointers or guides would be truly appreciated.

Christoph

Jens Alfke

Dec 25, 2014, 6:28:27 PM12/25/14

On Dec 25, 2014, at 1:52 PM, Christoph Berlin <hoptoawe...@gmail.com> wrote:

We would have a quick question regarding creating a public channel - the question is how? :)

Adam added support for a public channel recently — it'll be in SG 1.0.4, which will be released in January. Or you can build your own Sync Gateway from the master branch now.

—Jens

Christoph Berlin

Dec 25, 2014, 10:10:51 PM12/25/14
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jens.

Christoph Berlin

Dec 26, 2014, 10:15:22 PM12/26/14
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm that it works in our environments and with our requirements – thanks much

Christoph Berlin

Feb 23, 2015, 7:46:12 PM2/23/15
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jens,

Is there any update on the next official release? You mentioned January but that passed. We feel kind of uneasy using a trunk version in production.

Thanks Christoph

Constantine Kozak

Feb 24, 2015, 9:13:39 PM2/24/15
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
It looks like new installation packages for 1.0.4 were not published but a github release for 1.0.4 was published. You can find it here: https://github.com/couchbase/sync_gateway/releases/tag/1.0.4 and sync_gateway file will have to be manually build.

Also there is an explanation of how public channels work at https://github.com/couchbase/sync_gateway/commit/d0a3220ad786a24119f98ca235452c4117cfad04

Christoph Berlin

Feb 25, 2015, 1:52:01 AM2/25/15
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Constantine, I usually go by the the couchbase website because the github release are relatively confusing. 1.0.4 was published on github but not 1.0.3 nor 1.0.2. Also there are no release notes and therefore I didn’t know whats in it…do you know for a fact that 1.0.4 contains support for public channels? THanks

From: Constantine Kozak <mak...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 6:13 PM
To: "mobile-c...@googlegroups.com" <mobile-c...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Official guide for public channel support

Jens Alfke

Feb 25, 2015, 11:44:37 AM2/25/15

On Feb 24, 2015, at 10:51 PM, Christoph Berlin <ma...@christophberlin.com> wrote:

Thanks Constantine, I usually go by the the couchbase website because the github release are relatively confusing. 1.0.4 was published on github but not 1.0.3 nor 1.0.2.

1.0.4 has not been officially released yet. When it’s released we’ll announce it here and put a download link on the website and so on.

Yes, these are open-source projects and you can see the branches and tags we use to track versions; but the existence of a tag does not mean that we’ve blessed or released the corresponding code. (The branch is simply a staging area for commits; the tag is much more likely to be the actual cutoff point, but it’s possible to move Git tags and we’ve had to do so in the past.) But in the case of 1.0.4 it’s pretty safe to say that the tags reflect what we’re going to build the official releases from.

For some reason there has been a big delay in releasing 1.0.4 (on all platforms). I’m not entirely sure about the reasons, since I’m not directly involved in the release process, but on behalf of those who are I apologize for the delay. :(

—Jens