Couchbase Server admin page?

Brendan Duddridge

Dec 5, 2017, 4:06:18 PM12/5/17
to Couchbase Mobile
Hi,

Apache CouchDB has their Project Fauxton web interface for administering the CouchDB databases.

Does Couchbase have anything like that?

Right now I'm still using Couchbase Lite 1.4 because I'm waiting for support for CBLModel and hoping there could be some way to integrate with Apache CouchDB. But I'm beginning to think that maybe I need to instruct my customers to use Couchbase Server and Sync Gateway instead so I can move to 2.x. But without an easy-to-use interface to Couchbase Server and/or Sync Gateway for configuring and setting up users and databases, it might not be possible.

Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but a user of my app could have 1 database or they could have 100 databases. Right now with Apache CouchDB, that's easy. My app simply calls a REST method to create a new database given a specific database name and that database can then sync with their CouchDB instance. Does Couchbase Server / Sync Gateway allow for such a thing? I know there's the concept of channels, but my app I don't think would work with that concept at all. I really needed separation of user data so there wasn't a single database containing data for multiple users.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do because of all these problems I'm having with IBM Cloud / Cloudant now. I have contacted them, but they seem adamant they're not going to change their issues with attachments and now this request limit thing is also causing problems with syncing.

Thanks,

Brendan

Jens Alfke

Dec 5, 2017, 5:47:03 PM12/5/17
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 5, 2017, at 1:06 PM, Brendan Duddridge <bren...@gmail.com> wrote:

Apache CouchDB has their Project Fauxton web interface for administering the CouchDB databases.
Does Couchbase have anything like that?

Couchbase Server has a pretty full-featured admin console. It doesn’t include any SG functionality, though.  (That will come as part of the ongoing unification of SG into Server.)

There used to be an unfinished SG admin interface, but I don’t know whether it’s still around. Traun?

I know there's the concept of channels, but my app I don't think would work with that concept at all. I really needed separation of user data so there wasn't a single database containing data for multiple users.

Channels give you that. One SG database/bucket can serve any number of users. The main requirement is of course that you keep the docIDs distinct. You can either put the userID in the docID, or use only UUID docIDs (with the userID as a property so the server knows who the document belongs to.)

—Jens

Jens Alfke — Mobile Architect — Couchbase, Inc.