Preparing for Couchbase mobile 2.0 with peer2peer

wbi...@attic.nl

Nov 7, 2017, 12:44:01 PM11/7/17
to Couchbase Mobile
We currently have the following setup:
- multiple iPads in a LAN
- all iPads run a continuous push replication with all other iPads (overkill but very easy)
- all iPads run a continuous push/pull replication with a remote server running CouchDB on AWS (allowing us to see whats going and as 'persistent' peer)
- iPads find eachother using CBLListener and NSNetServiceBrowser

and we would like to prepare for Couchbase Mobile 2.0!

My questions:
- Can we continue to use CBLListener and NSNetServiceBrowser for peer discovery (keep track of the mesh)? Or is there a new way of doing this?
- What server should we use to replace CouchDB? Ideally, we'd like to run a managed server on AWS. (note: the new replication protocol is called 'Couchbase Mobile 2.0 Replication Protocol" but surely a protocol should be, well, 'universal' and not 'mobile'?). Are we forced to use Sync Gateway? (I must confess I never really understood how Sync Gateway fits in...)

Thanks !

Willem

Priya Rajagopal

Nov 10, 2017, 3:11:38 PM11/10/17
to Couchbase Mobile
Hi

Can we continue to use CBLListener and NSNetServiceBrowser for peer discovery (keep track of the mesh)? Or is there a new way of doing this?

P2P is unlikely to be supported in  Couchbase Mobile 2.0. It will be in 2.x (Jens ?). But the good news is that the new replication protocol is based on web sockets and by virtue of being "bi-directional", it lends itself quite well to p2p style scenarios

- What server should we use to replace CouchDB? Ideally, we'd like to run a managed server on AWS.

You can use Couchbase (Couchbase Server + Sync Gateway) . We are not a hosted solution but you should be able to spin up an instance of Couchbase Server/ Sync Gateway  quite easily on any of the public cloud environments. Since you mention AWS, you can find  "couchbase" in AWS marketplace - https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/search/results?x=0&y=0&searchTerms=couchbase

(note: the new replication protocol is called 'Couchbase Mobile 2.0 Replication Protocol" but surely a protocol should be, well, 'universal' and not 'mobile'?). Are we forced to use Sync Gateway? (I must confess I never really understood how Sync Gateway fits in...)

This blog post may help you understand how replication works and the role of sync gateway - https://blog.couchbase.com/data-replication-couchbase-mobile/

regards
-Priya