Anyone still need iOS 7 support?

Jens Alfke

Aug 26, 2016, 8:25:22 PM8/26/16
to Couchbase Mobile
We’re weighing the pros and cons of dropping iOS 7 support in Couchbase Lite.

The big advantage is that we can package the framework as a proper dynamic library, instead of as a static library. This will eliminate a lot of annoying build issues, both for the CBL team and for you developers. (I hate to think of how many hours I’ve spent in the past five years dealing with static library crap in Xcode…)

The disadvantage, of course, is that it’s a deal-breaker for any developer who still needs to support iOS 7 in their app.

So I thought I’d informally poll whether any of you still need iOS 7 support, and if so, for how much longer. (It appears that only about 3% of users still run iOS 7; 85% are on iOS 9.)

—Jens

Brendan Duddridge

Aug 27, 2016, 12:18:51 AM8/27/16
to Couchbase Mobile
My app requires iOS 9.3 to run. So iOS 7 is long gone for me.

Thanks!

Brendan

Todd Freese

Aug 27, 2016, 9:36:14 AM8/27/16
to Couchbase Mobile
We only support iOS 8 and on.

Todd

Scott Ahten

Aug 29, 2016, 5:35:47 PM8/29/16
to Couchbase Mobile

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 8:25:22 PM UTC-4, Jens Alfke wrote:
We’re weighing the pros and cons of dropping iOS 7 support in Couchbase Lite.

The big advantage is that we can package the framework as a proper dynamic library, instead of as a static library. This will eliminate a lot of annoying build issues, both for the CBL team and for you developers. (I hate to think of how many hours I’ve spent in the past five years dealing with static library crap in Xcode…)

My first experience with dynamic libraries required adding a build script to strip the x64 slice (to support the simulator)  when packaging IPAs for submission to the app store. Otherwise, it would not pass validation. Not really a big deal, but it was quite unexpected and took a few hours to find a working solution.

The disadvantage, of course, is that it’s a deal-breaker for any developer who still needs to support iOS 7 in their app.

So I thought I’d informally poll whether any of you still need iOS 7 support, and if so, for how much longer. (It appears that only about 3% of users still run iOS 7; 85% are on iOS 9.)

Both CBL apps I'm working on moved to iOS 9.0 earlier this year.

Jordan Wood

Sep 30, 2016, 10:01:31 AM9/30/16
to Couchbase Mobile

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 7:25:22 PM UTC-5, Jens Alfke wrote:
We’re weighing the pros and cons of dropping iOS 7 support in Couchbase Lite.

The big advantage is that we can package the framework as a proper dynamic library, instead of as a static library. This will eliminate a lot of annoying build issues, both for the CBL team and for you developers. (I hate to think of how many hours I’ve spent in the past five years dealing with static library crap in Xcode…)

I'm currently running into duplicate symbol problems that might not be an issue if it were a dynamic library, I would really appreciate having you drop iOS 7!  Our project is iOS 8 and up.