Cloudant 10 requests per second limit

Brendan Duddridge

Dec 5, 2017, 3:55:54 PM12/5/17
to Couchbase Mobile
Hi,

IBM has changed their system so that it only allows for a limited number of requests per second:

  • 20 Lookups/sec
  • 10 Writes/sec
  • 5 Queries/sec

I was wondering if there was anything in Couchbase Lite 1.4 which could throttle the number of lookups per second, writes per second and queries per second during a replication process.

Or if the too many requests response occurred, that Couchbase Lite could back off and try again a second or two later.

IBM is apparently doing everything they can to make things difficult. First the attachments issue, now this. I'm getting a lot of support requests from my customers about these issues.

Thanks,

Brendan

Traun Leyden

Dec 5, 2017, 4:03:02 PM12/5/17
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
I think those limitations only apply to the free tier of IBM Cloud.

I don't know of any throttling mechanisms in Couchbase Lite along those lines though.

Brendan Duddridge

Dec 5, 2017, 4:07:41 PM12/5/17
to Couchbase Mobile
Yes, that is a limitation with the free tier. But their older Cloudant service didn't have this limitation and I had a lot of customers using it. So now I'm starting to field all these support requests. Just trying to figure out what to do now and how to handle it.

Jens Alfke

Dec 5, 2017, 5:48:17 PM12/5/17
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com

> On Dec 5, 2017, at 12:55 PM, Brendan Duddridge <bren...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was wondering if there was anything in Couchbase Lite 1.4 which could throttle the number of lookups per second, writes per second and queries per second during a replication process.

No, there’s nothing like that, because it’s never been an issue before.
(FWIW, the replicator does not run any view queries.)

—Jens

Jens Alfke — Mobile Architect — Couchbase, Inc.

Brendan Duddridge

Dec 5, 2017, 6:14:30 PM12/5/17
to Couchbase Mobile
Ya, I didn't think it ran any queries. But it would be good if it could handle the response code and then try again in a little bit.

Jens Alfke

Dec 5, 2017, 6:21:24 PM12/5/17

On Dec 5, 2017, at 3:14 PM, Brendan Duddridge <bren...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ya, I didn't think it ran any queries. But it would be good if it could handle the response code and then try again in a little bit.

Sync Gateway will sometimes return a 503 if the DB server is overloaded; CBL handles that by trying again a bit later. What status code does Cloudant return?

Brendan Duddridge

Dec 5, 2017, 10:14:48 PM12/5/17
to Couchbase Mobile

Sync Gateway will sometimes return a 503 if the DB server is overloaded; CBL handles that by trying again a bit later. What status code does Cloudant return?

It looks like it's a 429 -- too many requests error.

and from the RFC standard:

Brendan Duddridge

Dec 8, 2017, 2:40:02 PM12/8/17
to Couchbase Mobile
Hi Jens,

Sync Gateway will sometimes return a 503 if the DB server is overloaded; CBL handles that by trying again a bit later. What status code does Cloudant return?

Where in CBL does it handle the 503 error and try again? Do you think I could just modify the code to also do the same thing with a 429 error?

Thanks,

Brendan

Traun Leyden

Dec 8, 2017, 3:22:49 PM12/8/17
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com

Brendan Duddridge

Dec 8, 2017, 4:10:00 PM12/8/17
to Couchbase Mobile
Hi Traun,

Ah excellent! I've added a check for the 429 error to tell it to return NO that's it's not a fatal error.

Now I just have to figure out the attachment size issue and then I'll be all set!

Thanks!

Brendan