arm support

Dmitry Antonov

Aug 2, 2017, 11:48:13 AM8/2/17
to Couchbase Mobile
Are there plans to support arm7+ (non-android) devices? There is an open issue on github, but not much activity there.
IoT is becoming more and more popular and Couchbase stack would fit there perfectly with its write performance and powerful replication capabilities, since the whole IoT is about huge loads of schema-less documents, their store-and-forward.

Is anyone using Couchbase lite on arm in production? I'd be very interested to hear about experience.
Thanks.

Dmitry

Jens Alfke

Aug 2, 2017, 12:16:52 PM8/2/17
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 2, 2017, at 5:50 AM, Dmitry Antonov <anton...@gmail.com> wrote:

Are there plans to support arm7+ (non-android) devices?

We’ve periodically worked on it, although Couchbase doesn’t [yet] officially support these devices. It’s one of those tasks that seems straightforward at a high level, but has annoying difficulties in practice, mostly due to library and compiler versions.

The best approach would be to get Couchbase Lite Core (the library at the heart of Couchbase Lite 2) to run. This is written in cross-platform C++ and has all the functionality of Couchbase Lite 2, except with a lower-level C API.

A couple of weeks ago, I spent some time trying to bring it up on Raspberry Pi, with help from Jim Borden. The main issue is that Raspbian Jessie’s apt-get has obsolete versions of some dependencies, especially clang and libc++, and installing up-to-date versions was nontrivial. (Disclaimer: I’m a noob at Linux development.) I did get it to build, but the unit tests crash instantly with an illegal instruction, for reasons I can’t figure out due to being a noob.

I’d be glad to collaborate with someone (you?) with more Linux experience, to get this working. I can’t speak for Jim but I bet he’d agree.

—Jens

Dmitry Antonov

Aug 7, 2017, 1:44:18 AM8/7/17
to Couchbase Mobile
Thanks Jens,
I'd love to help with Linux, but I'm coming from Windows background myself and only learning, just managed to get v1.4 running on arm linux last Friday. I'll give v2.0 a go and 'll try to get some expertise allocated to get it right.

Dmitry