Tweaking Couchbase lite viewer for iOS

parvez....@decurtis.com

Sep 5, 2017, 11:25:42 AM9/5/17
to Couchbase Mobile
The Couchbase lite viewer is currently a mac application that helps while testing the things on iOS simulator but while doing testing on actual iOS device, we cannot run the viewer to see the associated database which is currnelty on the iOS device. Is it possible to tweak the Couchbase lite viewer so that we can have it embedded inside the iOS application. Here by tweaking I mean to say: be able to use the classes from the viewer code to show the data somewhat similar to what viewer is showing on MAC OS X. We can invoke it by an action for ex:- shake device.

Jens Alfke

Sep 5, 2017, 12:01:48 PM9/5/17
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 8:25 AM, parvez....@decurtis.com wrote:
>
> Is it possible to tweak the Couchbase lite viewer so that we can have it embedded inside the iOS application.

"Tweak" would mean rewriting all of the AppKit-based UI classes to use UIKit instead, and changing the UI design to work on a phone. You could do this, but you'd be replacing most of the code in the app.

IMHO it would be a better approach to leave the app on desktop but have it connect to the iOS device via the REST API; the iOS app would just need to turn on the CBLListener. This would mean extending the non-UI code of the viewer to retrieve data using NSURLSession instead of the Couchbase Lite API.

—Jens