IPv6?

Todd Freese

May 5, 2016, 8:21:22 AM5/5/16
to Couchbase Mobile
I just saw that Apple is requiring that all iOS apps must use IPv6 starting June 1st.

Is CBL for iOS and SG IPv6 ready?

Todd

Jens Alfke

May 5, 2016, 1:06:49 PM5/5/16
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
On May 5, 2016, at 5:21 AM, Todd Freese <to...@filmworkers.com> wrote:

I just saw that Apple is requiring that all iOS apps must use IPv6 starting June 1st.

Mac apps, too. Specifically, apps "must support IPv6-only networking”, which means they have to function on an IPv6-only network. A lot of cell carriers are transitioning to IPv6-only in the near future, so this is a big deal, not an arbitrary rule on Apple’s part. The tech-note linked from that post has details on the transition.

Is CBL for iOS and SG IPv6 ready?

We haven’t tested on any IPv6-only networks so far, but I’ve done a quick scan of CBL/iOS for problematic APIs, and the only potential issue I’ve seen is with our server-reachability detection when the device is behind an HTTP proxy. I filed an issue on that this morning so we can take care of it. I don’t know what the exact effect would be; most likely the replicator would just be stuck in its offline state in this situation.

If anyone testing their iOS or Mac app on an IPv6-only network runs into trouble with CBL, please file an issue on Github ASAP and we’ll investigate and try to come up with a workaround or patch.

The .NET implementation will need to be looked at too, since it also runs on iOS. I would guess that if there are problems they’ll likely be in the Mono runtime, not CBL itself, in which case we’d be dependent on Xamarin for a fix.

SG isn’t an issue since I don’t think anyone’s going to submit it to the App Stores ;) In any case it’s written in the Go language, which has a very modern networking API that’s fully IPv6-compatible.

—Jens