new airport manager needs help

ann johnson

Apr 1, 2010, 8:50:26 AM4/1/10
to Minnesota AirTAP
Hi everyone,
I was just made the airport manager at Allalone airport in southwest
Minnesota. I have never managed an airport before. What resources
are out there to help me figure out what to do? I have no idea about
equipment, safety, maintenance or wildlife control.

What can you suggest? I would sure appreciate some feedback.

Thanks so much!
Go Vikings!

April Fewls

sh...@airportadmin.com

Apr 1, 2010, 10:33:05 AM4/1/10
to mnai...@googlegroups.com
You're funny!

Quoting ann johnson <testa...@gmail.com>:

> --
> MnAirTAP Group E-mail: mnai...@googlegroups.com
> MnAirTAP Group Web site: http://groups.google.com/group/mnairtap

Mindy Carlson

Apr 1, 2010, 11:28:41 AM4/1/10
to mnai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ann,

The Allalone airport is a fantastic airport! Please visit the MN AirTAP
website for resources and workshops regarding these topics. We also have
many airport experts who would be willing to help out.

Goodluck!
Mindy Carlson
MN AirTAP Coordinator

AirTAP staff

Apr 1, 2010, 11:34:18 AM4/1/10
to Minnesota AirTAP
I posted this note to see if we can get a discussion going to showcase
at MCOA. Please reply if you have time....a short sentence about
AirTAP or MCOA or Mn/DOT would be great.

Thanks so much,
April

Jim Grothaus

Apr 1, 2010, 11:46:20 AM4/1/10
to mnai...@googlegroups.com
Hello April,

Welcome to Minnesota and the network of airtap. Please continue to
monitor this discussion group for more updates. Additionally you will
want to make contact with John Puckropp and the Minnesota Council of
Airports (MCOA). Also checkout http://www.dot.state.mn.us/aero/ to
learn more about Aeronautics in Minnesota.

Jim

groth020.vcf

Amy Friebe

Apr 1, 2010, 11:52:47 AM4/1/10
to mnai...@googlegroups.com
Hi April,
In addition to the suggestions by the others, I'd encourage you to attend AirTAP's annual fall forum. This year's will be held Oct. 7 & 8 in Alexandria. It's a great way to meet your peers from airports around the state, ask questions, and learn from the experts presenting on various airport maintenance and admin topics.

Amy Friebe
AirTAP editor
frieb003.vcf

Jeff Stewart

Apr 1, 2010, 12:12:58 PM4/1/10
to mnai...@googlegroups.com

Hi April,

AirTAP also has a most excellent website which is chalked full of articles, workshop summaries, and other publications to assist you in learning your new role.  The website Address is http://www.airtap.umn.edu/

Good luck in your new challenge.

Jeff Stewart

AirTAP Consultant

Jeff Stewart, PE

Associate/WSB & Associates, Inc.
701 Xenia Ave. S., Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55416

Direct: 763.287.7184/Fax: 763.541.1700/Cell: 612.360.1284
jste...@wsbeng.com

www.wsbeng.com                 www.twitter.com/WSBEngineering

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee, please delete this email from your system. Any use of this email by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. WSB & Associates, Inc. does not accept liability for any errors or omissions which arise as a result of electronic transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard copy.

Please think about the ENVIRONMENT before printing this email

Jim Grothaus

Apr 1, 2010, 12:17:37 PM4/1/10
to mnai...@googlegroups.com
Hello April

Here is another resource.

Guidebook for Managing Small Airports
weblink:
http://144.171.11.40/cmsfeed/TRBNetProjectDisplay.asp?ProjectID=119

Managers of small airports are responsible for a wide range of
activities, including financial management, oversight of contracts and
leases, safety and security, noise control, community relations,
compliance with federal grant conditions, and facility maintenance and
capital improvements.

Small airports are subject to extensive regulation related to aviation
(e.g., U.S. DOT, FAA, and state aviation departments); taxes (e.g.,
fuel, sales, and employment); employment (e.g., discipline,
discrimination, wages, work hours, performance, safety, and labor
relations); revenue accountability; capital funding; law enforcement
(e.g., badging, searches, stops, arrests, and security); contracting
(e.g., disadvantaged business enterprises [DBE], leases, construction,
and preferences); real estate (e.g., condemnation and easements);
environmental protection; and others.

Management resources at small airports are usually very limited because
many operate with small budgets. Airport managers have a wide variety of
experience and educational backgrounds. Although some management
guidance is available for their use, much of it is dated, focused on
specific issues, intended for larger airports, or designed as a textbook
rather than a practitioner's handbook. Research is needed to provide
operators and managers of small airports with current, comprehensive
advice on resources and techniques that can be applied to meet their
responsibilities.

The objective of this research is to develop a practical, easy-to-use
guidebook for managing small airports. The guidebook should be useful to
owners, operators, managers, and policy makers of small airports. To
achieve this objective, it will be necessary to (1) identify fundamental
management principles, (2) identify best practices for effective use and
management of resources and facilities, and (3) present the information
in an attractive, convenient format. A major element of this research
should be to identify best practices to achieve safe and efficient
operation while maintaining compliance with regulatory requirements and
federal obligations.

contractor's final report, which describes the research process involved
in developing the guidebook, has been published as ACRP Web-Only
Document 5.

Jeff Stewart wrote:

> Hi April,
>

> AirTAP also has a most excellent website which is chalked full of
> articles, workshop summaries, and other publications to assist you in
> learning your new role. The website Address is http://www.airtap.umn.edu/
>
> Good luck in your new challenge.
>

> Jeff Stewart
>
> AirTAP Consultant
>

> *Jeff Stewart*, PE

> Associate/WSB & Associates, Inc.
> 701 Xenia Ave. S., Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55416
>
> Direct: 763.287.7184/Fax: 763.541.1700/Cell: 612.360.1284
> jste...@wsbeng.com
>

> www.wsbeng.com <http://www.wsbeng.com/>
> www.twitter.com/WSBEngineering <http://www.twitter.com/WSBEngineering>

> This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and is
> intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the
> addressee, please delete this email from your system. Any use of this
> email by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. WSB &
> Associates, Inc. does not accept liability for any errors or omissions
> which arise as a result of electronic transmission. If verification is
> required, please request a hard copy.
>

> /Please think about the ENVIRONMENT before printing this email/

groth020.vcf

Ann Johnson

Apr 1, 2010, 1:38:29 PM4/1/10
to mnai...@googlegroups.com
Wow, Jim. That Guidebook is amazing! I will print it and bind it and use it
daily as I learn how to navigate the ways of a small airport manager.

I am so grateful,
Thanks!
April