Is Comcast dropping analog cable?

Brian Elfert

Feb 5, 2010, 10:00:28 PM2/5/10
Someone mentioned Comcast is dropping analog cable in Coon Rapids.
Anybody have an confirmation of that epsecially for Shoreview?

I have the absolute most basic analog cable service now. Going to digital
would mean the end of my DVR as no way for it to change channels on a
digital cable box. Comcast would probably lose me as a customer if they
drop analog.

I haven't heard anything from Comcast on any pending changes. Analog
cable was still on the price list effective Jan 1.

Jim Manson

Feb 5, 2010, 11:01:58 PM2/5/10
Brian Elfert <bel...@visi.com> wrote:

A Comcast rep told me a couple of weeks ago that they are ending
analog cable this year. I had mentioned that I had an older TV and
wasn't using a cable box on it. He said it wouldn't work after the
change. He didn't give me a date.

osmium

Feb 5, 2010, 11:38:34 PM2/5/10
"Brian Elfert" wrrote:

I got a notice a week or so ago that I had to get adapters for my analog
sets, I am entitled to get two without any additional charge. Right now I
have one digital converter driving an analog set and two analog sets that
are currently connected directly to the cable. The mailing was to digital
subscribers in the Northern suburbs of St. Paul and the cutover takes place
Sept 27 of this year. I think you want to hear from an analog subscriber
that got a somewhat different announcement.

Tony Calguire

Feb 6, 2010, 2:30:10 AM2/6/10
Brian Elfert <bel...@visi.com> wrote in

> Someone mentioned Comcast is dropping analog cable in Coon Rapids.
> Anybody have an confirmation of that epsecially for Shoreview?

I am also on the Roseville/Shoreview system, and I received a letter from
Comcast a couple weeks ago. They are drastically scaling back analog
cable on September 20, and they are offering customers one digital
receiver and two digital tuning adapters at no additional cost.

A digital receiver is what we would call a "cable box". A digital tuning
adapter is a device which is less full-featured than a cable box, but I'm
still doing my homework on the details.

> I have the absolute most basic analog cable service now. Going to
> digital would mean the end of my DVR as no way for it to change
> channels on a digital cable box. Comcast would probably lose me as a
> customer if they drop analog.

If you truly have the most basic analog service-- what Comcast calls
"Basic", which is the local stations, public access, and a few other
channels-- you won't be affected. Comcast will continue to carry those
in analog. This change affects people who subscribe to Comcast's
"Standard Cable", which is a combination of Basic and Basic 2. All the
channels above 27 will be going digital.

> I haven't heard anything from Comcast on any pending changes. Analog
> cable was still on the price list effective Jan 1.

You should expect to see their letter any time. Be on the lookout for
it! It might even look like one of their pieces of junk mail; I've had a
couple family members throw their letters out. But I'm pretty sure
Comcast will be badgering their customers about this all summer long.

The letter includes a code number you can use to call in and order a
self-install kit. The best news of all... no technician visit required!
They'll ship them out and you can hook them up yourself.

Brian Elfert

Feb 6, 2010, 8:52:41 AM2/6/10
Tony Calguire <calg...@tcfreenet.invalid> writes:

>If you truly have the most basic analog service-- what Comcast calls
>"Basic", which is the local stations, public access, and a few other
>channels-- you won't be affected. Comcast will continue to carry those
>in analog. This change affects people who subscribe to Comcast's
>"Standard Cable", which is a combination of Basic and Basic 2. All the
>channels above 27 will be going digital.

I probably haven't gotten a letter then because I do have the most basic
analog cable.

I would guess they are required by law to still offer the most basic
service in analog.

Mike Ekholm

Feb 6, 2010, 5:10:35 PM2/6/10
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 21:00:28, Brian Elfert just had to say:
: Someone mentioned Comcast is dropping analog cable in Coon Rapids.
: Anybody have an confirmation of that epsecially for Shoreview?

Yep

The AVS forum has a Minneapolis/st paul Comcast thread that
has been going on for years. On page 42, post 1251 this topic
comes up, and details start coming up. If you want to
read up, have fun. You can start off here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17886375#post17886375

From what I understand, they are working east to west. The st paul
area is 1st (800Mhz) and will be complete by June, then the Minneapolis
former TW market will be done 2nd (700Mhz).

The just of it is that Comcast has a demand for more HD channels
to compete with DirecTV in this market. They can do that by replacing
all the backend hardware, or turn off analog and go all-digital.
the cheaper is to go to all-digital. Because a digital signal
can be compressed, it uses much less bandwidth than an analog
signal. You can fit about 5-6 SD digital channels, or 2 HD digital
channels in the same bandwidth as one analog channels, so that is
the reason for the conversion.

The other technology they are looking at is SDV, or Switched Digital
Video. With normal Digital, it works just like analog, where every
channel is sent down the cable line, and your tuner switches to
the frequency of that digital channel you want to watch. With
SDV, your tuner performs 2 way communications with the cable network
and your tuner says "I want to watch channel 231". the cable network
then says "ok, send channel 231 to tuner id 321F341" This becomes
more efferent because only the broadcasts that are being watched
are being sent over the cable network.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Feb 7, 2010, 3:23:13 AM2/7/10

I don't think they are required by law to carry anything at all. They
probably DO have varying contracts with municipalities, all of which are
getting renegotiated [there was a thread recently about Comcast not engaging
in talks and essentially stalling, and I am sure this is why]. So, some
municipalites require them to carry certain public access channels and
probably OTA locals on an analog basis, or more recently with locals, clear
QAM. In any event, cable is not "regulated" and not subject to FCC rules for
the most part, and thus, there is no law or other statuate that requires them
to do anything other than to not become a monopoly.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.

osmium

Feb 7, 2010, 9:40:56 AM2/7/10
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

>> I would guess they are required by law to still offer the most basic
>> service in analog.
>
> I don't think they are required by law to carry anything at all. They
> probably DO have varying contracts with municipalities, all of which are
> getting renegotiated [there was a thread recently about Comcast not
> engaging
> in talks and essentially stalling, and I am sure this is why]. So, some
> municipalites require them to carry certain public access channels and
> probably OTA locals on an analog basis, or more recently with locals,
> clear
> QAM. In any event, cable is not "regulated" and not subject to FCC rules
> for
> the most part, and thus, there is no law or other statuate that requires
> them
> to do anything other than to not become a monopoly.

As I understand it they *are* required to carry the broadcast channels that
would be available in the same service area. This means that to propagate
almost continuous commercials, all one needs to do is get an FCC license,
and the FCC seems to have no interest in the amount of commercial content.
ISTM that if you will promise to carry one episode of Gilligan's Island per
week, you have satisfied the FCC that the proposed station is in the public
interest. It is not clear to me that the FCC has any f***ing idea what is
in the public interest.

Or, for that matter, why the government should control what signal is sent
by wire between two consenting adults.

Message has been deleted

osmium

Feb 7, 2010, 10:51:35 AM2/7/10
"john doe" wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Mike Ekholm wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 21:00:28, Brian Elfert just had to say:
>> : Someone mentioned Comcast is dropping analog cable in Coon Rapids.
>> : Anybody have an confirmation of that epsecially for Shoreview?
>>

>> Video. With normal Digital, it works just like analog, where every
>> channel is sent down the cable line, and your tuner switches to
>> the frequency of that digital channel you want to watch. With
>> SDV, your tuner performs 2 way communications with the cable network
>> and your tuner says "I want to watch channel 231". the cable network
>> then says "ok, send channel 231 to tuner id 321F341" This becomes
>> more efferent because only the broadcasts that are being watched
>> are being sent over the cable network.
>

> It sounds like SDV can also do one other thing, and that is provide "true"
> viewership numbers, meaning $$$/greenbacks/moolah.
>
> Of course, it also means "They" would know what you watch..."Why Mr.
> Smith...you naughty, naughty boy."

I would guess that a service with 30,000 customers couldn't transmit on
30,000 channels.

Jim Land

Feb 7, 2010, 12:12:36 PM2/7/10
Brian Elfert wrote:
> Someone mentioned Comcast is dropping analog cable in Coon Rapids.

"Channels 2-23 will still be broadcast in analog," according to John
Ewoldt in Sunday's Strib:

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/yourmoney/83680977.html

John A. Weeks III

Feb 7, 2010, 7:37:24 PM2/7/10
On Feb 7, 8:40 am, "osmium" <r124c4u...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:
> Or, for that matter, why the government should control what signal is sent
> by wire between two consenting adults.

The government most certainly should regulate the signal that is sent
down the wire when that wire uses a public right-of-way. In the case
of cable companies, they cost-justify the business by getting a
monopoly, and in exchange for having a monopoly, they agree to be
regulated and to provide a fraction of their service to be used for
public service. Another reason for government regulation is if the
wire service wants to have common-carrier status.

I agree that regulation would be inappropriate if the wire pays for
all of its right-of-way costs and does not ask for common-carrier
status.

-john-

Mike H

Feb 8, 2010, 10:02:06 AM2/8/10

What type of DVR do you have? Could you perhaps upgrade to one that
supports a cable card? Either that or use IR control to send channel
changing signals from your DVR control system to the new Cable box
you'll be stuck with.

Brian Elfert

Feb 8, 2010, 11:32:02 AM2/8/10
Mike H <mike8...@gmail.com> writes:

>What type of DVR do you have? Could you perhaps upgrade to one that
>supports a cable card? Either that or use IR control to send channel
>changing signals from your DVR control system to the new Cable box
>you'll be stuck with.

I have a pretty old ReplayTV DVR. ReplayTV quit selling the hardware
around three or four years ago. There is no cable card option. DirectTV
bought out ReplayTV, but they are not upgrading the ReplayTV.

My only real option for replacement would be a Tivo HD. I would probably
be just as well off getting the Comcast DVR since the Tivo HD is around
$200 plus monthly service.

This may not be an issue for me if they keep analog for the basic cable
service.

Mike H

Feb 8, 2010, 12:40:33 PM2/8/10
On Feb 8, 10:32 am, Brian Elfert <belf...@visi.com> wrote:

If you are relying on Comcast for internet, and don't want to switch
then the best price should be their dvr box. If not stuck with
Comcast for internet, the lowest price digital television with DVR is
had through Dish Network. Their Dish Family package with 1 HD tv and
1 SD tv both with DVR works out to be $30 per month, and free install
if you sign up for 24 month contract and includes Mpls/St. Paul
locals.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/detail.aspx?pack=DISHFamily

Brian Elfert

Feb 8, 2010, 4:38:38 PM2/8/10
Mike H <mike8...@gmail.com> writes:

>If you are relying on Comcast for internet, and don't want to switch
>then the best price should be their dvr box. If not stuck with
>Comcast for internet, the lowest price digital television with DVR is
>had through Dish Network. Their Dish Family package with 1 HD tv and
>1 SD tv both with DVR works out to be $30 per month, and free install
>if you sign up for 24 month contract and includes Mpls/St. Paul
>locals.

Can you really get Dish network for $30 a month including taxes and fees?

I don't currently use Comcast for Internet so no issue with having to keep
Comcast.

Mike H

Feb 8, 2010, 5:22:28 PM2/8/10
On Feb 8, 3:38 pm, Brian Elfert <belf...@visi.com> wrote:

Taxes are not included in that price, the $30 includes a $6/month fee
for the DVR. Without a DVR, the cost is $24.99. I have quite a bit of
the dish stuff, and my taxes work out to around $7 per month. So I
would expect the taxes on the $30 month package and 1 dual tuner, dual
output DVR would be less than that. I've never bothered to figure out
what is being taxed.

Note that I did a little digging, and it appears that the Family Pack
doesn't include HD, so the cheapest Pack with HD is the America top
120. If you do the deal, you get 12 months at $24.99, but normally it
is $39.99. So that would mean $56 per month for HD + locals normally
or $41 per month for 12 months with 2 year contract.

So yes, you can get satellite TV for $30/month(plus taxes) with a DVR
that will operate two televisions independently, one being HD. To get
the HD programming though you end up paying about $26 more per month.
Note you get a ton more channels with the America Top 120 that you
don't get with Family.

gol...@visi.com

Feb 9, 2010, 3:11:26 PM2/9/10
Brian Elfert <bel...@visi.com> gasped the following in horror:

Comcast will be sad if they drop analog cable where I live. I'll
drop them and not look back.

Course I barely watch television as it is.

--
My day today? Nothing major, just Xenon base gone, Scorpio gone,
Tarrant dead, Tarrant alive and then I found out Blake sold us out.