Tuesday, March 8 gathering - Scaling Agile - what works/what context?

RHunter

Feb 19, 2016, 9:04:58 AM2/19/16
to MN Agile Experiences Group

Over the last couple years we've had several gatherings focused on one or another approach to scaling, yet this continues to be the most-requested topic submitted for our gatherings.

This certainly aligns with the "greater world of agile" (at least as indicated by the number and cost of training courses being offered ... and the sometimes vitriol commentary between "competing" approaches).

As in the early days of XP, Scrum, and the rest of the agile dialects, there are various “rules” and “guidelines” being promoted for how scaling is supposed to work, and just like all things agile, how those are applied in a real context determines how successful they ultimately are.

And like the early days of Agile, there is dogma/salesmanship/misunderstandings and such which cloud an effective evaluation of the methods. Let’s put all that stuff aside and bring our practical development geekiness for an evening of intellectual exploration of agile scaling. This is not a discussion on whose model is better, it’s a discussion on the essential elements of scaling, referencing the models if it is helpful.

Beginning with the premise that “Scaling models may bring useful elements to agile” we will explore the basic question: “So what is useful and what works in what context?” This is not a presentation, it is a discussion. Bring slides if you want them, bring your glossy laminated scaling posters if have them, but for sure bring ideas, questions, and answers to the discussion.

Kelly Weyrauch will facilitate the conversation (but he will leave his SAFe Program Consultant badge at home :-)).

If planning to come please indicate so on Doodle http://doodle.com/ks8bp8vquru7pz48 (not necessary to sign up to attend  - just looking for an attendance estimate).

Sponsor TBD - if anyone or their company wants to sponsor let Rod know

6 – 6:30 PM – networking, pizza

6:30 - 8 PM - topic

8 - 8:30 – Discuss future gather topic proposals

Meetings are held at the University of St. Thomas, Murray Herrick room 2076 (MHC207) - NOTE ROOM CHANGE

See the MNAEG site for more details: https://sites.google.com/site/mnagileexperiences/

Here is a link to parking info http://www.stthomas.edu/parking/visitors/visitoroptions/

Note on parking: The Morrison ramp ($1/hr after 4 PM) is probably where most end up.

Street parking in non-permit areas on the campus perimeters can often be found (by those who enjoy the hunt).

dwayne....@iconatg.com

Feb 19, 2016, 6:55:43 PM2/19/16
to MN Agile Experiences Group
Dang, I really wish I could be there for this one as I've been doing a lot of scaling and enterprise transformations lately, and would love to hear what others are learning in their efforts.  If you could just bring my perspective as a SAFe consultant, I think the big thing that many of the scaling frameworks (especially SAFe) add to agile is the inclusion of lean practices.  Combining lean and agile principles, values, and practices together seems to be the secret sauce, and any scaling method that allows/encourages/enhances that ability is the place to start.

Christopher Diller

Feb 22, 2016, 2:23:12 PM2/22/16
to MN Agile Experiences Group
This will be the first meeting I'll be attending - can anyone recommend a good place to park?

Ambrose, Edward

Feb 22, 2016, 3:30:50 PM2/22/16
to mn-agile-e...@googlegroups.com

Parking is detailed at the bottom of Mr. Hunter’s email below.

Lonnie Weaver-Johnson

Feb 22, 2016, 3:41:32 PM2/22/16
to mn-agile-e...@googlegroups.com
I highly recommend the ramp Rod suggested. It is cheap and easy.

Lonnie Weaver-Johnson
Certified Scrum Trainer and Agile Coach

Sent from my iPhone

Christopher Diller

Feb 22, 2016, 4:56:39 PM2/22/16
to mn-agile-e...@googlegroups.com

Thanks.  Font change made that section look like part of the footer.

RHunter

Mar 2, 2016, 3:42:30 PM3/2/16
to MN Agile Experiences Group

*** Final reminder *** - the MNAEG Gathering is next Tuesday - please sign up on the Doodle site (link down below) if planning to attend.

Note - we've had a March gathering or two snowed out in the past, but with a high of 60 forecast for next Tuesday we should be good to go!

Rod