NetGear WG511T and WPA support on FreeBSD 8.2

_

Jan 13, 2012, 4:17:54 PM1/13/12
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
Hi,

Since I've run into problems getting an ndisgen generated driver for my
Realtek RTL8185 54M to work on
my FreeBSD 8.2 (i386) system - kldload on the driver generates a permanent
kernel crash-, I am currently
thinking about buying the NetGear WG511T PCMCIA bus driven card.

I would like to ask if there are any users on this list that make use of
this card and that can confirm whether
or not this cards works fine alongside with WPA/WPA2 on 8.2 or 9.0 if I
decide to upgrade?

I am aware of the supported hardware list. The card in discussion is not
listed as supported.
However, this could still be the case, since I read in an older 7.0 related
thread
http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1424 that it did work, at
least at one point in time.

Thanks

Jerry

Jan 13, 2012, 5:27:48 PM1/13/12
to FreeBSD
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:17:54 +0100 <pancak...@gmail.com> articulated:

> Since I've run into problems getting an ndisgen generated driver for
> my Realtek RTL8185 54M to work on
> my FreeBSD 8.2 (i386) system - kldload on the driver generates a
> permanent kernel crash-, I am currently
> thinking about buying the NetGear WG511T PCMCIA bus driven card.
>
> I would like to ask if there are any users on this list that make use
> of this card and that can confirm whether
> or not this cards works fine alongside with WPA/WPA2 on 8.2 or 9.0 if
> I decide to upgrade?
>
> I am aware of the supported hardware list. The card in discussion is
> not listed as supported.
> However, this could still be the case, since I read in an older 7.0
> related thread
> http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1424 that it did work, at
> least at one point in time.

It's compliant with 802.11g standards and going for approximately $6.00
on EBay, so you really have nothing to lose by trying it. You should be
able to ascertain the chip model and version easy enough once you get
the device.

--
Jerry ♔

Hans Ottevanger

Jan 19, 2012, 9:02:53 AM1/19/12
to pancak...@gmail.com, freebsd-...@freebsd.org
On 01/13/12 22:17, _ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since I've run into problems getting an ndisgen generated driver for my
> Realtek RTL8185 54M to work on
> my FreeBSD 8.2 (i386) system - kldload on the driver generates a permanent
> kernel crash-, I am currently
> thinking about buying the NetGear WG511T PCMCIA bus driven card.
>
> I would like to ask if there are any users on this list that make use of
> this card and that can confirm whether
> or not this cards works fine alongside with WPA/WPA2 on 8.2 or 9.0 if I
> decide to upgrade?
>
> I am aware of the supported hardware list. The card in discussion is not
> listed as supported.
> However, this could still be the case, since I read in an older 7.0 related
> thread
> http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1424 that it did work, at
> least at one point in time.
>

> Thanks

Hi,

Maybe a bit late to react, but I have been traveling lately ...

I have two WPA511T adapters (slightly different from the WG511T you
refer to). I used them intensively for years in a pair of antique
Toshiba laptops and they have actually always worked (since 6.x, I
believe) without any issues and they still do with a recent 8.2-STABLE.
I use wpa_supplicant, mostly with WPA2.

It is recognized as follows:

ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0x88000000-0x8800ffff irq 10 at device 0.0 on
cardbus1
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ath0: AR2413 mac 7.9 RF2413 phy 4.5

Of course there could still be PCMCIA issues on a different laptop, but
since the WG511T also has an Atheros 5212 chipset and Atheros chipsets
for 802.11g have excellent support in FreeBSD, I would expect it to
work, even with a GENERIC kernel.

Kind regards,

Hans Ottevanger

_

Jan 24, 2012, 10:34:48 AM1/24/12
to Hans Ottevanger, freebsd-...@freebsd.org
Bought the card in the meantime and got done testing it. Works just fine.

The card is specifically listed on:

man 4 ath_hal

Saw this later as I only checked man 4 ath...

Thanks for the update though.