7D Studio version announced - maybe this is one reason the 7D has been locked down? (to prevent firmware cross flashing?)

Ryan Gardner

Aug 17, 2010, 3:37:23 PM8/17/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
http://gizmodo.com/5614865/canon-eos-7d-studio-version-adds-security-functions-and-barcode-reading

Maybe this is one reason the 7D has been locked down so much? To prevent us from enabling the studio features on non-studio 7D's? Who knows. (also, I wonder if they will ever enable the "studio" features on those other cameras that have them in their secret menus in a similar way)

I wonder how the barcode scanning bit works. I could make an app for my phone in a heartbeat that could encode a GPS location as a barcode - then display that barcode full screen and shoot it to embed the GPS info into the EXIF for later converting into a proper geotag... but I'm not about to buy a new camera just to shoot barcodes :/

Ryan

Trammell Hudson

Aug 18, 2010, 6:35:51 AM8/18/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 01:37:23PM -0600, Ryan Gardner wrote:
> Maybe this is one reason the 7D has been locked down so much? To prevent us
> from enabling the studio features on non-studio 7D's? Who knows. (also, I
> wonder if they will ever enable the "studio" features on those other cameras
> that have them in their secret menus in a similar way)

The 5D has an "EnableStudioMode" function and a (hidden) studio mode
menu. I haven't set the bit, but I did call the function to create
the menu:

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Secret_menus

Do they sell a 5D Mark II Studio version?

--
Trammell

arm.indy

Aug 18, 2010, 2:36:02 PM8/18/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
there also similar things in 550d 1.0.8 :

1. Barcode code
2cd9c BarRecData:%s
2cdac BarData:%s
2cde4 BCR ClearCode:%s
2ce0c BarCodeDataSizeOver:%ld,%ld
(offsets are from 0xff010000)

2. Studio mode
StudioOn function at 0xFF2113BC

and these properties:
1f1114 PROP_PHOTO_STUDIO_MODE (%d)
1f1270 ***** PROP_PHOTO_STUDIO_SETUP_PASSWORD size = 0[%d]
1f12b4 PROP_PHOTO_STUDIO_CLEAR_BAR_CODE_DATA (%d)
1f12e0 PROP_PHOTO_STUDIO_SEPARATE_LANG (%d)
1f1308 PROP_PHOTO_STUDIO_RELEASE_LOCK (%d)
1f132c PROP_PHOTO_STUDIO_BAR_CODE_DATA (%d)
1f1358 ***** PROP_PHOTO_STUDIO_BAR_CODE_DATA size = 0[%d]

Arm.Indy