the runtime error that keeps popping up

Sam Winchester

Jun 26, 2015, 2:26:47 PM6/26/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
everyone,

I was wondering if there was a way to turn off blocks of code in the blocks window???
The reason I ask is that today I had a project all built and all of a sudden A runtime error message started popping up. I tried to locate which block was causing the problem but the error message kept popping up and blocking my view. So eventually I just deleted the whole project.

If there was a way to click each block and turn it off and hopefully weed out which block was causing the problem, that would be really nice. Or, maybe could there be a separate half of the blocks editor screen where we could drag glitchy blocks where they would not generate erors and we could try to fix them without the error messages keeping popping up???

Anyways, it's just an idea. Maybe there's already some way of doing it and I just haven't found it yet. Please let me know either way.

Working on the app inventor is the most fun I've ever had. Soon I shall be building apps for my students!

Taifun

Jun 26, 2015, 2:49:56 PM6/26/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
you always can disconnect the companion app to fix your blocks...
Taifun

Trying to push the limits of App Inventor! Snippets and Tutorials from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

SteveJG

Jun 26, 2015, 3:12:47 PM6/26/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
You can disable blocks to debug.   You can also use the DoIt debugger tool to help find issues.

To disable a block, right click on the block; a pop up menu will appear.  Select Disable block.  The block or block and connected blocks will turn white.  While disabled, the compiler ignores these blocks.  To get back where you started, right click on the block again; this time select Enable Block.

You might wish to read   Engineering and Debugging an App         .

Regards,
Steve

Sam Winchester

Jun 26, 2015, 5:10:29 PM6/26/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! I wish I had known that before I deleted the whole thing.

Ok, well, back to the drawing board!