How do I get a 6-digit code?

OrionDark7

Nov 5, 2015, 9:59:00 PM11/5/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi, I'm using the emulator and I can't scan a QR Code, so the only choice for me to use is to use a 6-digit code, How do I get that?

Please tell me it would be VERY greatly appreciated! :D

SteveJG

Nov 5, 2015, 10:10:20 PM11/5/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
If you use the emulator, you do not need the 6 character code.  To use the emulator you should be using   Connect >  Emulator .     Are you connecting using Connect>AI Companion?

How to set up and use the emulator is described here:  http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/setup-emulator.html      Are these the instructions you are following?

Regards,
Steve

OrionDark7

Nov 5, 2015, 10:39:21 PM11/5/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I'm using Connect > Emulator. I just can't get the app to run my project.

Ghica

Nov 6, 2015, 7:13:49 AM11/6/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
If you want to test on your phone, use connect->AI companion, and you will see the 6-digit code.
If you want to test on your PC, use the connect->emulator (which you should have installed first) and then you do not need the 6-digit code.
Cheers, Ghica.

SteveJG

Nov 6, 2015, 8:16:59 AM11/6/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
You cannot get your Project to run on the emulator.  There could be many reasons for failure to run.   Did you create an aia file?   How large is the aia file?  If the file is larger than 5Mb, that is the problem.  Do you have more than 10 screens?   More than 10 and AI2 becomes stable.

Without more information about your project, we can only guess about why it is not running in the emulator.  Could you try this please:
1) Create a new Project  (Projects > Start new project
2) Place (drag) a Button on to the Designer screen.
3)  That is the entire Project.
4) now, run it:   Projects > Emulator
5) after a few seconds, do you see the button render on the emulator screen.  If you see the button; the emulator is working fine.  There is something wrong with your Project.  Here is a huge list of possibilities:

6) However, if you do not see the button, the issue could be something else.      Try   Connect > Hard Reset ...then follow the instructions in the pop up.  This will make sure that the latest Companion 2.36 is loaded into your emulator.   If updating Companion does not work, you might check:  http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/connect-help-emulator.html

As a last result, uninstall the emulator

On Windows

On Windows, you must install the setup software from an account that has administrator privileges in order for App Inventor to work. Installing via a non-administrator account is currently not supported.

To update the setup tools, perform these steps in order:

  1. Go to the Program Files directory and find the unistall program in the AppInventor Setup directory (installed with the previous setup software), and rununinstall.
  2. Reboot your computer. (Important!)
  3. Download the new Windows installer package.
  4. Install the new software you just downloaded. Do not change the installation directory from the default that the installer picks. Instead of just clicking on the exe file, right-click to make sure you install as Administrator.
  5. Logout or Reboot your computer. (You should now see the aiStarter program running).

Does this help?    Tell us if you got the emulator to work; if not tell us what you did and someone will provide more advice.

OrionDark7

Nov 6, 2015, 10:10:53 AM11/6/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
When I run uninstall.exe do I complete the whole proccess before rebooting? (I'm just wondering...)

SteveJG

Nov 6, 2015, 10:28:36 AM11/6/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Complete what whole proccess ?       Just Uninstall, reboot the computer and then install as indicated.  You need to remove the present installed copy of the emulator , reboot, then replace (yes, reload
  1. Download the installer.
  2. Locate the file MIT_Appinventor_Tools_2.3.0 (~80 MB) in your Downloads file or your Desktop. The location of the download on your computer depends on how your browser is configured.

So, you have to:
  1. Go to the Program Files directory and find the unistall program in the AppInventor Setup directory (installed with the previous setup software), and run uninstall.
  2. Reboot your computer. (Important!)
When you re-install, instead of a left mouse click; use a right mouse click and follow the instructions in the pop up.