Upgrading the SDK and upgrading App Inventor. And special alert to people using the dev_server

Hal

Feb 26, 2012, 10:13:14 PM2/26/12
to mit-appinventor-jars
We'll be making a new App Inventor release in the next day or two.
As always, people using the JARs should try to upgrade to the latest
release. Make sure to upgrade the build server at the same time:
There newer App Inventor version can not user older Build Servers.

App engine has also been updated. The latest release of the Google
App Engine SDK is release 1.6.2. You should upgrade if you are still
running 1.6.1 or earlier.

Be especially careful if you are running App Inventor on the
development server rather than on App Engine. And be especially
especially careful if you are using the dev server to host projects
for other people (something we do not recommend). There's a danger
that projects will be lost as a result of upgrading. In fact,
restarting the server in itself can cause projects to be lost.

We suggest you upgrade in the following steps

(1) Tell your users to download any projects hosted on your server, to
their local computers. They should be doing this anyway, if you are
using the dev server.
(2) Upgrade your version of the App Engine Java SDK to version 1.6.2
(3) Upgrade your version of App Inventor to the latest release of the
Jars and restart your server.

Your users should now be able to upload their projects and continue
work. Keep in mind that we still do not advise using the dev server
for App Inventor instances that are expected to save user projects.

Gary Frederick

Feb 29, 2012, 10:37:11 AM2/29/12
to mit-appinv...@googlegroups.com
The App Inventor that works with the Windows buildserver has this message when you run the App Inventor part using the dev server

This is a personal version of App Inventor. It is not hosted on AppEngine. Load your source when you start and save it before you quit. Read the personal server setup in the learn/setup pages before you use it.

Folks are finding it very fast
and some do not read the warning and learn the hard way it is a good idea to use save and save often. :-)

So is the MIT version now beta and no longer experimental?

Gary

Roger Belk

Feb 29, 2012, 10:50:19 AM2/29/12
to Gary Frederick, mit-appinv...@googlegroups.com

I missed the announcement somewhere but read a few threads that sounded like they had move to a beta version.

Thank You
Roger Belk
Working from my NEXUS
www.bigdaddyapp.com
(903) 309-8465

Gary Frederick

Feb 29, 2012, 10:58:56 AM2/29/12
to mit-appinv...@googlegroups.com
A friend pointed out that the MIT server changed, it does not say experimental. I do not use the MIT server, other than testing for a customer.
I'm on the v61 fragment till MIT contributes their source back to the community.
Fragmentation is not a problem... so far ;-)

Gary

On Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:50:19 AM UTC-6, BIG DADDY APP wrote:

I missed the announcement somewhere but read a few threads that sounded like they had move to a beta version.

Thank You
Roger Belk
Working from my NEXUS
www.bigdaddyapp.com
(903) 309-8465

Droid

Mar 4, 2012, 8:48:01 PM3/4/12
to mit-appinv...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone, am new to App Inventor. pls can anyone give me a working build server address or Dev. Server and also the latest app inventor that works on them. thanks in advance.

Amit Saha

Mar 4, 2012, 8:49:41 PM3/4/12
to Droid, mit-appinv...@googlegroups.com

Please check out: appinventor.mit.edu AND please do not hijack a thread.

Amit