New Release of App Inventor v76

Andrew McKinney

Feb 14, 2012, 4:07:50 PM2/14/12
to mit-appinv...@googlegroups.com

Today we are releasing a new version of App Inventor, both as a JAR distribution, and also updating our testing instance running at experimental.appinventor.mit.edu. We are getting close to our official Beta release, but we do expect to have a couple more release in the days/weeks to come.

People testing the experimental service don’t need to do anything - you’ll get the new release next time you connect.

If you are running your own service with the JAR files, please update your service right away.  Follow the instructions, Running App Inventor services with the MIT JAR files and don’t neglect to update the build server. You can also find the new distribution at the following link download distribution. Make sure, when you update the build server, to use the latest version of the launchbuildserver program included in the release.

Make sure to include the version number -- 76 -- on your posts and bug reports.

Things to note in this new release:

  • Most Importantly: If you've been making apps with multiple screens or using the activity starter with the current system, you may need to edit your blocks when you load your project into the system after the release. Hal posted a message about this the other day, but I think it is worth repeating here. In the current system, multiple screen apps can open new screens with values and return values, but only for text values. In the new system, you can open new screens and return values that are lists, and return lists as values. As a result of this change, multiple screen apps that use get-startup-text should now use get-startup-value.   If you load an app that used  a get- startup-text block, App Inventor will mark that  block as an error -- the block will be outlined in red -- and you'll need to change it to get-startup- value in order to proceed. Similarly, the close-screen-with-result block will need to be replaced by close-screen-with-value. There's an analogous change needed for some apps that use the activity starter to pass values among activities. The block get startup-text should be replaced by get-start-plain-text and the block close-screen-with-result should be replaced by close-screen-with-plain-text.

As always we are grateful for all your hard work and dedication towards helping us flush out the problems, so that we can provide a robust and stable MIT App Inventor Service to all.

Andrew McKinney

MIT App Inventor, Technical Lead

This conversation is locked