Guidelines for this forum and the new open-source release: PLEASE READ

Hal

Jan 21, 2012, 1:10:20 PM1/21/12
to mit-appinventor-jars
Everyone has hopefully seen the announcement that the App Inventor
source code has been released as Free and Open Source software:

http://appinventoredu.mit.edu/developers-blogs/hal/2012/jan/google-and-mit-announce-open-sourcing-app-inventor-code

Both Google and MIT are staunch supporters of free software and we're
delighted that everyone will now be able to take the App Inventor code
and build on it.

At the same time, the existence other releases alongside our MIT jars
is going to cause some confusion. So please note:

- With a service built from the jar files distributed from MIT, the
screen will say "MIT App Inventor" at the upper left. Other people
are free to call their distributions "App Inventor" but they don't
have permission to use the MIT name. So if you are using App
Inventor, you can see whether the release comes from MIT.

Please do not use this jars forum to ask about issues with the open
source release. We at the MIT Center for Mobile Learning Inventor
project don't have the capacity to field these questions, We will in
general not answer, and may we even delete the posts or close the
threads. There's forum at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/app-inventor-open-source-dev
to discuss issues with the open source release. Please use that forum,
rather than this one, both to help us conserve our MIT effort and to
help the nascent open-source community grow expertise of its own.

And when you send a question about an issue with the MIT JARs, be sure
to include the version number of the release you are asking about
(located at the lower right of the designer page).

Thanks for you use of the JAR files and for helping us test.

Hal
h...@mit.edu

This conversation is locked