push://@password still works for any password

Simon Blandford

Oct 14, 2014, 11:14:07 AM10/14/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
I have set up a live stream with the source set to push://@password.

If I uplink with ffmpeg to rtmp://mistserver.ip/password/stream it works. But if I uplink to  rtmp://mistserver.ip/anything/stream it still works. It should be rejected. If I set an IP address then it gets rejected if the source IP address doesn't match. But it is a password restriction that I want.

Is this password feature only available in LTS? I don't see any mention of it not being available in the community edition here http://mistserver.org/wiki/Push_Guide if that is the case.

I am using Mistserver 2.1.3/2.1.3/Linux_64 on Ubuntu server 14.04.

Balder Vietor

Oct 14, 2014, 11:37:15 AM10/14/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello Simon,

Password protection for live streams is indeed Pro (LTS) only. It seems that information wasn't passed on properly in the Push Guide. My sincere apologies, I'll make sure the mistake gets changed immidiately.

The reason why password protection on live streaming is pro only is twofold:
- There's no Live multi-bitrate in the open source version, so you can protect your streams by using the IP.Address of the device as a "protection"
- If we make password protection on streams open source one could make a twitch like solution (without multi-bitrate) which is something we'd expect professionals would want to do.

With kind regards,

Balder Viëtor
Product Management & Head of testing

Amphoraweg 5