2.1.3/2.1.3/Cygwin_32 Windows 7 Enterprise with OBS

Phil Stull

Jan 14, 2015, 9:55:28 PM1/14/15
to mists...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Having some issues getting Open Broadcaster Software to work with 2.1.3. I think the problem is in the communication between the two software. I'm attempting to stream live video with my OBS to my local MistServer.  I have tried all kinds of combinations with source address and RMS URL and cannot for the life of me get these two to communicate.  This is the furthest progression I have made with trying to get them to communicate but the stream times out.

Can anyone help me configure the two so I can both allow incoming streams from outside sources and also stream from my local machine?

Phil

Balder Vietor

Jan 15, 2015, 5:22:18 AM1/15/15
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello Phil,

From the look of the help request you've send in (I'll be sure to also send this mail as a reply on that one, so I can be sure you'll see the reply) you're using the wrong source:

I can find the following error in your Config log: "File not found: //localhost"

A stream source should either be the IP or the file you wish to stream. In your case you're using OBS to stream: Which means your source should be the machine running OBS. If this is the same machine you should use "push://localhost" as source (if it's another machine check your router for IP information). The push:// part makes sure MistServer will understand you're going to push a stream from the following ip. if you forget it, it'll expect a file at the locations //localhost, which probably won't exist.

As for your OBS, you'll need to make sure it pushes to the machine running mistserver (again probably localhost, but if it's another machine check your router for iP information). through RTMP (port 1935 or another port if you changed the RMTP port) with your stream name as Streamkey or Streamname depending on how they'll call it. If there's no streamkey/streamname option you should use the following address: "rtmp://localhost:1935/live/streamname" (change the streamname to the streamname you use within MIstServer). It looks like you've named your stream doja so it should be "rtmp://localhost:1935/live/doja" or "rtmp://localhost:1935/live/" with streamkey/name "doja".

Of course you should also check if your protocols are running without problem, simply going to the protocol page to see if they're available and the logs page to see if there's any warnings about your protocols should be enough to check whether they're running.

If you still run into any problems you can also try our Live streaming guide, we'll update all our guides to be a bit more easy to use in the near future, but it should be understandable enough: http://mistserver.org/wiki/Push_Guide

With kind regards,

Balder Viëtor
Product Management & Head of testing

Amphoraweg 5
2332ED Leiden
The Netherlands
mistserver.org
ddvtech.com
+31 10 8080 619 (NL)
+1 408 677 5212 (USA)

Balder Vietor

Jan 15, 2015, 5:25:30 AM1/15/15
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Just noticed I forgot to answer one part of your question:

The only way to make sure your MistServer will accept both pushes from outside sources and localhost is to use "push://" as a source, this will leave your MistServer open for any source, it might not be the best solutions to leave it open like that forever as anyone with your MistServer IP and streamname could push to it. Sadly we do not have Password protection in the open source version, but if you make sure you only open the ports right before you push it shouldn't be a problem as it will only accept one push at a time in the open source version.

With kind regards,

Balder Viëtor
Product Management & Head of testing

Amphoraweg 5
2332ED Leiden
The Netherlands
mistserver.org
ddvtech.com
+31 10 8080 619 (NL)
+1 408 677 5212 (USA)

Phil Stull

Jan 15, 2015, 5:47:51 AM1/15/15
to mists...@googlegroups.com
I followed your instructions and it's working as intended! Thank you very much for this information. I was missing the stream key. I thought that I had to have pro version to use a key. I really appreciate it!

Balder Vietor

Jan 15, 2015, 5:55:26 AM1/15/15
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello Phil,

Glad it worked! It's a bit confusing how as not every program works the same way or uses the same descriptions, so it's not the first time we've encountered this problem.

Good luck with your stream, if you encounter any other problems feel free to contact us again.

With kind regards,

Balder Viëtor
Product Management & Head of testing

Amphoraweg 5
2332ED Leiden
The Netherlands
mistserver.org
ddvtech.com
+31 10 8080 619 (NL)
+1 408 677 5212 (USA)

Phil Stull

Jan 15, 2015, 4:59:52 PM1/15/15
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Now that I'm able to stream locally how would I open up up the server for incoming connections outside the network? I would assume it would be smart to get a DNS to replace my local IP address. Would I just change "localhost" to my current IP address?

Balder Vietor

Jan 20, 2015, 9:12:05 PM1/20/15
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello Phil,

My apologies for the late reply.

You'd have to open your server to the outside from your router/network settings. You can still use localhost/internal ips to push towards MistServer as that would be a valid IP for your MistServer server as well if you're in the same network, but for outside viewers they'll need to know your IP you've set for the outside world.

We usually find it easier to indeed do something you suggested yourself as it keeps the addresses you'll have to use/remember to a minimum and if you test the outside IPs you'll know for sure whether people outside can view your streams or not.