Mist playing the last 30 seconds & other oddities

Jason Pullara

Dec 6, 2014, 3:10:09 PM12/6/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I've been playing around with Mist the last few days over at live.lordkat.com. While I like the promise, I am utterly baffled by what is going on with my install. Currently, I've had to disable Mist so I can carry out my shows.

After compiling and running Mist perfectly well for a 24 hour period, some craziness seems to have popped up. Mist "crashed" - that is, the stream stopped playing for viewers, but the control panel and OBS showed that I was streaming perfectly well; but, in order to restore the stream to working condition, I had to restart the stream from OBS. Ever since then I've experienced the following:

Previously, when I started to stream I will stream at my intended bitrate, only for it to drop to 0kb/s, then pick back up to my bitrate. Streaming would be normal, and everything would be OK.

After a while of doing this (around 24 hours or so), restarting the stream now has the stream drop down to 0kb/s and stay there. The control panel shows the stream as "active" and, as it gradually goes down to 0kb/s it displays as "not active".
  I thought this might be some filtering by my ISP, but after testing with multiple streaming providers as well as numerous pieces of streaming software, I have concluded this is not the case.

When I try to stream on the selected profile none of my data seems to be captured. Instead an old 30 second clip (which was streamed hours prior) is played as if there's something stuck in memory forcing this to loop over and over.
  Disabling memcached, clearing out the swap space, and freeing pagecache does nothing.

Deleting and re-creating the profile does nothing to fix this.
  I must create a new profile in order to stream. Deleting the old profile and naming it the same name doesn't help, either.

Details:

Debian-wheezy
2x CPU 28 Core system (x86_64)
52GB RAM
1TB HDD

MistLib and MistServer compiled from source (last clone @ 12/06/2014 7am ET)

If there's anything else I could do to help, please let me know, as I was considering buying a pro subscription before this happened.

Jason Pullara

Jaron Vietor

Dec 6, 2014, 3:34:24 PM12/6/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jason,

I assume you cloned/compiled the master branch?
Please try the "development" branch (both on libmist and on mistserver - they must always be on the same branch to compile correctly).
The development branch follows our latest development efforts towards the next release, and it includes several fixes and optimizations that are due for release very soon.
One of those fixes is a pretty big improvement to the way live buffers are handled, especially in cases of small connection drop-outs.

Alternatively, just sign up for a Pro trial and I'll make sure the build you receive as part of that is based on the development branch so you can get a good idea of the capabilities and reliability before deciding whether or not to buy.

Let me know if you have any questions or other concerns!

Regards,
Jaron Viëtor
CTO, DDVTech