Mist Unstable in Windows 7 VM

Mo

Oct 12, 2014, 3:29:02 PM10/12/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
I discovered Mist only a couple of days ago. I am in the process of testing it as an alternative to Wowza. I've installed Mist Win 64-bit version on a Windows 7 virtual machine. Using FMLE, I have also established 4 live rtmp streams, all originating from different physical machines. Everything works fine at first, but after a while the connection between FMLEs and Mist become unstable. The config.json has numerous lines "C:\\MIST\\MistOutRTMP|3208||Warning: Header type 0x40 with no valid previous chunk!". I am forced to restart Mist every few hours. Separately, at the startup I see a number of seemingly unimportant error messages (see attached JPEG). Lastly, the HLS output is extremely jittery. Any guidance as to how these issues may be resolved is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MistStartupErrors.jpg

Balder Vietor

Oct 13, 2014, 8:44:03 AM10/13/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mo,

It looks like your connection is somehow interrupted or interfered with. unfortunately RTMP is not very fall tolerant which means streaming cannot continue. Since you're running an VM, have you encountered comparable problems with a Linux VM? Is there a reason you have to run a windows VM? As a Linux VM is easier to maintain and usually more stable.

I'll try running a similar set-up tomorrow and see if I encounter anything.

The random errors at the start is Mist trying to discover the capabilities of stackdumps, this is a known problem, but doesn't harm the system.

With kind regards,

Balder Viëtor
Product Management & Head of testing

Amphoraweg 5
2332ED Leiden
The Netherlands
mistserver.org
ddvtech.com
+31 10 8080 619 (NL)
+1 408 677 5212 (USA)

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Mo <m...@smarterbroadcast.com> wrote:
I discovered Mist only a couple of days ago. I am in the process of testing it as an alternative to Wowza. I've installed Mist Win 64-bit version on a Windows 7 virtual machine. Using FMLE, I have also established 4 live rtmp streams, all originating from different physical machines. Everything works fine at first, but after a while the connection between FMLEs and Mist become unstable. The config.json has numerous lines "C:\\MIST\\MistOutRTMP|3208||Warning: Header type 0x40 with no valid previous chunk!". I am forced to restart Mist every few hours. Separately, at the startup I see a number of seemingly unimportant error messages (see attached JPEG). Lastly, the HLS output is extremely jittery. Any guidance as to how these issues may be resolved is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mo

Oct 13, 2014, 6:26:05 PM10/13/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hi Balder,
Thanks for your reply. I am using Win7 VM only for convenience and initial testing. For production we will be using a physical Windows or Linux server. As for RTMP, while I agree it is not fault tolerant, Wowza seems to have done a good job with auto recovery. By that, I mean there are times when the connection between the encoders and Wowza were interrupted for a few seconds or minutes, but Wowza was able to resume service without any user intervention. I strongly urge Mist to look into adding such an auto recovery mechanism.
Thanks.

Balder Vietor

Oct 14, 2014, 6:15:18 AM10/14/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mo,

I'm about to start with the Win7 VM so I'll probably send another message soon. As for the auto recovery:

We're actually developing such a system at this moment. By the looks of it we'll have it done in 1-2 weeks if nothing interferes. So you can probably look forward to that ;)

With kind regards,

Balder Viëtor
Product Management & Head of testing

Amphoraweg 5
2332ED Leiden
The Netherlands
mistserver.org
ddvtech.com
+31 10 8080 619 (NL)
+1 408 677 5212 (USA)

Balder Vietor

Oct 14, 2014, 8:37:41 AM10/14/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

I've just finished testing the MistServer under W7 VM. The good news is that I haven't found any new problems while testing, so once we've managed to implement better auto-recovery we should be on par with expectations. As I've mentioned before it looks it'll take us 1-2 weeks to complete. I'm sorry we can't really do anything for you until then.

With kind regards,

Balder Viëtor
Product Management & Head of testing

Amphoraweg 5
2332ED Leiden
The Netherlands
mistserver.org
ddvtech.com
+31 10 8080 619 (NL)
+1 408 677 5212 (USA)

Mo

Oct 14, 2014, 1:51:17 PM10/14/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Dear Balder,
A reminder that in your tests to take a look at HLS. The output is very jittery. Thanks.

Balder Vietor

Oct 14, 2014, 6:59:19 PM10/14/14
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mo,

My thanks for the reminder, we're aware of the issue, you probably noticed something similiar when testing HDS. My expectation is that we'll manage to solve this around the same time as the auto recovery.