Combine multicast

Skyler

Apr 14, 2018, 4:07:00 PM4/14/18
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

 I have a need to take 4 multicast streams and output those as a single HLS stream. The output would have 4 unique equal qaudrants but displayed in a single HLS capable player.

 Similar to surveillance where 4 cameras are displayed in quadrants on a TV.

 Would it be possible to do this with MistServer in some way?

Thanks,
Skyler

Jaron Viëtor

Apr 14, 2018, 5:07:03 PM4/14/18
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello Skyler,

MistServer doesn't do transcoding, which is what you would need for the task you're describing.
What it can do, is transform the multicast streams into formats compatible with for example OBS Studio (among others, our MP4 live output is compatible), which you can then use to create the "multi-view" and send that as a new stream elsewhere (or to the same server instance as a new stream name).
I should note a bit of ffmpeg scripting can already accomplish what you want as well, though it is harder to set up as ffmpeg has no graphical interface like OBS does.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction!

Regards,
Jaron Viëtor
CTO, DDVTech

Skyler

Apr 14, 2018, 6:38:24 PM4/14/18
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jaron,

 Thank you very much. This helps me a lot in the direction I need to go.

Skyler