Connections

Markus Vitz

Dec 21, 2016, 2:02:18 PM12/21/16
to Mistserver.org

Hello. For me, network-internal connections are not included in the statistics. Only connections, which come from the internet are counted. is that normal?
Unbenannt.png

Jaron Viëtor

Dec 21, 2016, 2:17:54 PM12/21/16
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello Markus,

All connections made using a socket should be counted.
The only types of outputs/connections that are not counted, are those using standard IO (and you would know if you were using this, because you have to make those by hand).

Could you perhaps describe in a bit more detail what you are not seeing in the statistics? Perhaps you've found a bug, and if this is the case of course we'd like to fix it!

Regards,
Jaron

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 8:02 PM, 'Markus Vitz' via Mistserver.org <mists...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hello. For me, network-internal connections are not included in the statistics. Only connections, which come from the internet are counted. is that normal?

Markus Vitz

Dec 21, 2016, 2:43:16 PM12/21/16
to Mistserver.org
3 devices are connected. Once obs, which streams on the server. And two devices, one local and one over the internet. But connections is 2.
But if I use the external ip on my device , it is counted. then he says 3 connections

Jaron Viëtor

Dec 21, 2016, 4:50:50 PM12/21/16
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Interesting!
What protocol are you using to connect on the one that is not counted? (and which on the other one?)
And is there anything worth mentioning in the server log?

- Jaron

Markus Vitz

Dec 21, 2016, 5:19:11 PM12/21/16
to Mistserver.org
I use it on several samsung tv with the smart iptv app. In the program I have inserted a ts stream. In the log nothing is displayed.
But I noticed now that the error is only with the smart ip tv. When I insert the local ts address into vlc, it shows the connection.
so only when i insert the locally adress in the smart tv app, the connection is not recognized.but with the internet adress.strange.

Jaron Viëtor

Dec 21, 2016, 6:31:16 PM12/21/16
to mists...@googlegroups.com
That makes it even more interesting... Do you think you could perhaps create a wireshark or tcpflow capture of the connection from this TV, and upload it somewhere?
That way I can see what's happening with the connection and hopefully trace why it is not being counted correctly.

You can run the capture from the same machine you run the server on, assuming you're using the default settings you can limit the capture to only port 8080 (but not limiting and capturing all traffic is fine too, if that is easier for you).
If you need to know how to set this up, a small how-to can be found here: http://www.howtogeek.com/104278/how-to-use-wireshark-to-capture-filter-and-inspect-packets/
Make sure to start the capture before you connect the TV to the stream and stop it after the problem can be seen. You don't need to capture more than that.

- Jaron

Markus Vitz

Dec 22, 2016, 3:32:56 AM12/22/16
to Mistserver.org
The mistserver runs in a docker container on my qnap. I do not know how I can do that.

Jaron Viëtor

Dec 22, 2016, 6:24:17 AM12/22/16
to mists...@googlegroups.com
wireshark has no problem recording network traffic from inside a docker container - you can simply run it on the main OS and everything will work as expected.
Alternatively, if all the connections are _wired_ (this will not work with wireless connections), you can connect a (wired) computer to the same network as your qnap and TV, and use wireshark on that computer instead (turn on "promiscuous mode" inside wireshark). It will then capture the traffic also.

Hope that helps!

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 9:32 AM, 'Markus Vitz' via Mistserver.org <mists...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The mistserver runs in a docker container on my qnap. I do not know how I can do that.

Markus Vitz

Dec 22, 2016, 8:42:43 AM12/22/16
to Mistserver.org
Ok I'll test and record next time, if several devices are on. If only the TV receives the stream, it works. I just noticed. Maybe the router filters something.

Jaron Viëtor

Dec 22, 2016, 8:43:25 AM12/22/16
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Ah! I see. Well, if you have something worth sending, please let me know.