Can't get MistServer to start. Ubuntu Xenial

John Byrne

May 1, 2018, 7:16:48 AM5/1/18
to Mistserver.org
Hi!
I'm trying to get MistServer working on a dedicated server. I'm running Ubuntu Xenial on an ARM7 processor and used the following install command:

When I start the service, I then check the status with the "service mistserver status" command and here's the result:

root@vidserv:/# service mistserver start
root@vidserv:/# service mistserver status
● mistserver.service - MistServer
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mistserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-05-01 11:09:19 UTC; 8s ago
  Process: 8143 ExecStopPost=/bin/bash -c rm -f /dev/shm/*Mst* (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 8140 ExecStart=/usr/bin/MistController -c /etc/mistserver.conf (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
 Main PID: 8140 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

May 01 11:09:17 vidserv systemd[1]: mistserver.service: Unit entered failed state.
May 01 11:09:17 vidserv systemd[1]: mistserver.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
May 01 11:09:19 vidserv systemd[1]: mistserver.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
May 01 11:09:19 vidserv systemd[1]: Stopped MistServer.
May 01 11:09:19 vidserv systemd[1]: mistserver.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
May 01 11:09:19 vidserv systemd[1]: Failed to start MistServer.

I thought that the system may be having problems creating /etc/mistserver.conf so I created an empty mistserver.conf file but I still get the same result.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Jaron Viëtor

May 1, 2018, 7:24:17 AM5/1/18
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello John,

Could you try running "MistController" on a terminal by hand, and see what that does?
I'm guessing likely there is some kind of library or kernel incompatibility with your distro and what we use to compile our ARMv7 builds, running it by hand should show a more helpful error message.

Regards,
Jaron Viëtor
CTO, DDVTech

John Byrne

May 1, 2018, 7:51:20 AM5/1/18
to Mistserver.org
Thanks for your response Jaron,

I SSH'd in to my server and typed "MistController" at the prompt. Here is the response:

root@vidserv:~# MistController
-bash: /usr/bin/MistController: No such file or directory

Pretty weird, right? The file MistController is certainly present in /usr/bin because I can see it in a directory listing.

John
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mistserver+...@googlegroups.com.

John Byrne

May 1, 2018, 7:55:23 AM5/1/18
to Mistserver.org
lscpu showed the following:
Architecture:          armv7l
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             1
Model name:            ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
CPU max MHz:           1333.0000
CPU min MHz:           666.5000

Balder Vietor

May 1, 2018, 8:24:39 AM5/1/18
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hey John,

That's weird yes, I can't say I've seen it before at the very least. I've been mostly using this version on my raspberry Pi V3, which is a ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l), but otherwise pretty much the same. I can only think of one thing that will definitely solve this, which is compile your own MistServer. Luckily you're using the open source version, so that should be an option.

Our binaries are available here: https://github.com/DDVTECH/mistserver

Either clone the repository or download the source code. Cloning the repository would make updating easier, but you do have to set up and use git.
To build MistServer correctly you will need:

cmake and a c++ compiler

The most common c++ compilers we see and test with at the moment are gcc and clang, so I would recommend one of those if you haven't installed one, but any should work.

and run:

cmake .
make install

Once done you should have the binaries again, the only difference is that these should definitely work. Obviously if you run into any problems during the build let us know, we'll try and help you where we can.

With kind regards,

Balder Viëtor
Head of Testing

John Byrne

May 1, 2018, 8:29:39 AM5/1/18
to Mistserver.org
Thank you so much for responding so quickly and completely. I'll give it a go!

John

Balder Vietor

May 1, 2018, 8:44:43 AM5/1/18
to mists...@googlegroups.com