Open Source Issue Tracker?

J. Chris Folsom

Feb 24, 2010, 11:56:57 AM2/24/10
to Mises.org Development
David asked me to post my thoughts on Bugzilla vs. Trac

I have used both, but generally prefer bugzilla as it has a lot more
features (e.g. rich versioning, categories, rss, csv, column control,
that we could fill with quotes from Mises, Rothbard, et al.

I've administered both, and if you want me to take on the
responsibility for setting it up and maintaining whatever you choose
to use I will. If you want more project management specific stuff
there is also XPlanner as well.

I think it's important to have an issue tracker where everyone can
input their feature ideas and issues and pick the things that they
would like to work on. I think you would be hard pressed to try to
manage this without something like Bugzilla.

As David mentioned, one of the nice things about Trac is the SVN
integration, but I think that the longer the project goes on, the more
you will appreciate the advanced features of Bugzilla, particularly in
regards to search.

Eric Hollering

Feb 24, 2010, 12:43:16 PM2/24/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
I recently implemented issue tracking for work and after looking at several, including Bugzilla and Trac, I went with Redmine.  Just submitting it for consideration.  Have you checked it out?  It is a great interface -- very usable, flexible, and easy to set up and maintain.  Free as in beer and freedom...multiple version control integrations including SVN, and has a plugin I've been using with TortoiseSVN to add issue numbers addressed when committing code (which show up as links to the issues when browsing the repository).  It is very configurable, has extensibility via 3rd-party plugins and custom fields, currently supports sub-projects, and they are planning on adding sub-tasks.  I've been very happy with it for my VS.NET development.

http://www.redmine.org

Eric Hollering

Feb 24, 2010, 12:47:38 PM2/24/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
Another great feature that I don't use -- issue submission via email.

jcfo...@pureperfect.com

Feb 24, 2010, 1:11:39 PM2/24/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com

I've looked at Redmine. It seems like it has a few more features than Trac, but still not as feature rich as Bugzilla, but then again, what is? Bugzilla trumps most of the commercial products I've used including Quality Center.

Another option is JIRA which is AWESOME. It's a commercial product but Atlassian offers free licenses to both non-profits and open source software projects. Mises.org qualifies for both.

Of course it's not open-source...

Jorge L. Barroso

Feb 24, 2010, 1:30:23 PM2/24/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Jira

It's definitely an industrial-strength issue-tracking system and it's used by many open source projects.  Atlassian, the makers of Jira, are big supporters of open source.  Jira was originally developed as a replacement for Bugzilla, which had grown too unwieldy to be useful.  http://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=192544

-Jorge

Daryl Jensen

Feb 24, 2010, 1:45:18 PM2/24/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
Jira is a great tool. Have used both that and bugzilla for work. Mostly just use Jira now.

David V

Feb 24, 2010, 2:30:56 PM2/24/10
to Mises.org Development
Bugzilla's UI makes my heard hurt.

I used JIRA for a project and liked it. Most of my experience is with
Team Foundation Server.

How well does JIRA work with my Visual Studio / Windows based
environment?

I like TRAC because it's really simple to use the Wiki and view
source. Can I browse source with JIRA?

On Feb 24, 12:45 pm, Daryl Jensen <darj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jira is a great tool. Have used both that and bugzilla for work. Mostly just
> use Jira now.
>

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Jorge L. Barroso <jorge.l.barr...@gmail.com

> > wrote:
> > +1 for Jira
>
> > It's definitely an industrial-strength issue-tracking system and it's used
> > by many open source projects.  Atlassian, the makers of Jira, are big
> > supporters of open source.  Jira was originally developed as a replacement
> > for Bugzilla, which had grown too unwieldy to be useful.
> >http://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=192544
>
> > -Jorge
>

> > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:11 AM, <jcfol...@pureperfect.com> wrote:
>
> >> I've looked at Redmine. It seems like it has a few more features than
> >> Trac, but still not as feature rich as Bugzilla, but then again, what is?
> >> Bugzilla trumps most of the commercial products I've used including Quality
> >> Center.
>
> >> Another option is JIRA which is AWESOME. It's a commercial product but
> >> Atlassian offers free licenses to both non-profits and open source software
> >> projects. Mises.org qualifies for both.
>
> >>http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/
> >>http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/licensing.jsp#nonprofit
>
> >> Of course it's not open-source...

jcfo...@pureperfect.com

Feb 24, 2010, 2:46:53 PM2/24/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com

>> How well does JIRA work with my Visual Studio / Windows based
environment?

I found this:

I really couldn't comment on Visual Studio though since I haven't used it since 1997.

>> I like TRAC because it's really simple to use the Wiki and view
source. Can I browse source with JIRA?

You mean like viewvc? As far as I know, it only shows a SVN commit log.

I used JIRA for a project and liked it. Most of my experience is with
Team Foundation Server.

Jorge L. Barroso

Feb 24, 2010, 2:56:36 PM2/24/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
I don't use Visual Studio either, but it looks like there is some Jira support for it. https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/PLVS

As for code browsing, OpenGrok is a good tool, http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+opengrok/ , and is often used in conjunction with Jira and Svn.

BTW, I'd be happy to help out with these infrastructure tools; a way for this Java developer to contribute to this .NET project. :)

-Jorge

David Veksler

Feb 24, 2010, 3:19:22 PM2/24/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
I just installed WebSVN: http://code.mises.com/svn/

Eric Hollering

Feb 24, 2010, 3:42:16 PM2/24/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
Redmine is much like Trac with the Wiki and source viewer (along with forums, documentation storage, file upload, etc), but in my opinion, the UI is much better and it's easier to set up and maintain.  Full disclosure: I've never actually used Trac outside of getting a demo up when considering it for my job.

Also, if you haven't checked out Redmine recently give it another look; it's made some pretty big strides in the last year and is continuing to grow...1.0 is due for release in about 4 months, but it's already very robust.  Not sure how the Trac UI compares because it's been a while and I didn't dig into it really deeply, but Redmine has the ability to plug-in / develop themes with CSS.  I'm not demanding that this is the right route to go, but as you can tell I'm pretty sold on it personally.

Never checked out Jira because there was no budget for me and we're not non-profit or open source.

I definitely agree with David regarding the Bugzilla UI.

Eric Hollering

Feb 25, 2010, 12:27:04 PM2/25/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
This is probably so obvious as to be completely unnecessary, but just in case....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue_tracking_systems

David V

Feb 26, 2010, 1:55:40 AM2/26/10
to Mises.org Development
OK, my top two contenders are RedMine and JIRA.

Can someone install either one for us to try out?

Jorge L. Barroso

Feb 26, 2010, 2:21:27 AM2/26/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
I can help out with JIRA.  Good timing too, as I'm on vacation next week.

-Jorge

Mark Joslin

Feb 26, 2010, 9:08:26 AM2/26/10
to Mises.org Development
I'm sorry, but why not github? Or is it not applicable for what you
guys are looking for?

On Feb 26, 2:21 am, "Jorge L. Barroso" <jorge.l.barr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Message has been deleted

John Dolce

Feb 26, 2010, 12:17:30 PM2/26/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to throw one more hat in the ring, but I have put a Mises jtrac space for you guys to evaluate at

http://jtrac.semanticclarity.com

You can log in as mises\ludwig  (if you want to test adding items, otherwise its read-only public, or it can be completely private if needed)

It is a very basic bug/defect/issue/task/whatever tracking system and you can add customized fields and flows and have it auto-email.  No fancy code integration or anything like that.

John

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Eric Hollering <holl...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd be willing to do a Redmine install...I've done complex installs of it 4 times in the last couple months so a standard environment should be a breeze.  Just need access to a host server.  Is this something that will be hosted on-site or with a 3rd-party hosting service?

Eric Hollering

Feb 26, 2010, 12:22:37 PM2/26/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
I can do a Redmine install...just need access to a host server.  Is this something that will be hosted on-site with existing Mises.org servers or with a 3rd-party hosting service?

IIS doesn't play nice with Rails, so unless we want to attempt what few others have I'd need an instance of Apache.  And MS SQL is said to be workable but is not supported, so I'd need MySQL, PostgreSQL or SQLite. My preference is MySQL because that's what I'm familiar with, but I'm open to the others.

Meanwhile, I'll throw a test site up on my wife's domain after work (my hosting company doesn't support ruby).

David Veksler

Feb 26, 2010, 1:39:20 PM2/26/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
I don't like the current git UI tools.  It may be something to consider in the future.

Also we have up to several GB of files and a dozen projects.  I'm not sure how github will handle it.

David Veksler

Feb 26, 2010, 1:45:32 PM2/26/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
(I will contact people privately with access credentials.)

We have a MySql instance, but not Apache.  We can run apache alongside IIS on a different IP address if needed.

RedMine does work with IIS, which would be ideal:

Mark Joslin

Feb 26, 2010, 1:42:18 PM2/26/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I understand. Thanks.

Nathan Larson

Jan 26, 2014, 5:45:15 PM1/26/14
to mise...@googlegroups.com
Is there any possibility of allowing the public to create accounts on Redmine and start filing bugs?