The Mises.org CMS is 10 years old!

David Veksler

Jul 11, 2014, 3:22:53 AM7/11/14
to MisesTech, Mises.org Development
Exactly ten years ago, I was unexpectedly looking for something to do over the summer when my internship was withdrawn at the last minute, so Jeff Tucker arranged a summer fellowship for me at the Mises Institute.

Although I was an economics and political science major with no formal computer science background, I used my limited skills to launch new content management systems for Mises.org and the Mises Blog.  In early 2004, Movable Type was the blog dominant content management system - it generates static html via Perl - and the high-powered CMS's used my most sites today did not exist, so I used Movable Type for the Mises Blog and coded the new Mises.org from scratch.

Since then, Mises.org has seen almost 200 million page views and 1 petabyte of web, media, and torrent traffic.  There's been a few major revisions, but the core still dates back to that summer in 2004.  The UI design is dated for 2014, but the site still loads quickly and has run with virtually no maintenance or major outages for 10 years. The code is open source, and has inspired Mises Institute websites in a number of other countries.

More about the CMS project:

Inline image 1

---
Regards,
David Veksler
+86 186 168 73407

Stephen Gream

Jul 11, 2014, 3:25:11 AM7/11/14
to misesdev@googlegroups com

Wish I'd helped more over the years. Glad your baby has seen a decade, let's hope it goes for another 10!

--

---