Fwd: Embedded Youtube and HTTPS

David Veksler

Oct 29, 2012, 8:36:37 PM10/29/12
to Mises. org Development
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Peet van Staden" <pvan...@gmail.com>
Date: Oct 30, 2012 8:23 AM
Subject: Embedded Youtube and HTTPS
To: <webm...@mises.org>

Hello,

I am running Firefox 16 with HTTPS Everywhere (eff.org) enabled. Upon loading the main site

https://mises.org

a message is reported that the youtube.com clips on the main site are only partially supported. Can you please verify if you are allowing HTTPS for the embedded videos? Also, please see about the cookies from youtube

https://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=171780

Enabling HTTPS mode

HTTPS, the secure counterpart to HTTP, wraps a layer of encryption around the information traveling between your computer and a web server. This is typically used to provide enhanced privacy and security for services like web browsing, e-mail and instant messaging.

Many sites that offer HTTPS support include content from other sites. When some parts of the site are not accessed using HTTPS, browsers generate a “mixed content” warning since not all items on this page are secure. Sites that use HTTPS and add default YouTube video embeds could generate this warning. To avoid that, and to allow your site to support HTTPS more consistently, you can choose the new Use HTTPS embed option.

It is important to note that while embed components are all supported using HTTPS and do not generate the mixed content error, we do not yet support video streams over HTTPS.

Using HTTPS option for embeds

If you'd like to use HTTPS embeds for a video that you're about to embed on another site, simply:

  • Find the video that you'd like to embed.
  • Go to the video watch page and click on the Embed button below the video player. You'll see various options, including the Use HTTPS checkbox, directly below the embed code.
  • Click the Use HTTPS checkbox to enable HTTPS on the embed of this video
  • Copy the video's embed code and paste the code into the section of the site where you'd like the video embedded. The video will be embedded in HTTPS mode.

Enabling privacy-enhanced mode for embedded videos

Like most web properties, YouTube uses what are known as cookies to collect information. Cookies can be used to store data about the user's computer or the user watching a video. YouTube uses cookies to help maintain the integrity of video statistics, prevent fraud and to improve the site experience, among other things. We use cookies on both youtube.com and on videos embedded from youtube.com.

We've been working to give our users more options and control over these cookies. One such option is the privacy-enhanced mode for our embed player. This mode restricts YouTube's ability to set cookies for a user who views a web page that contains a privacy-enhanced YouTube embed video player, but does not click on the video to begin playback. YouTube may still set cookies on the user's computer once the visitor clicks on the YouTube video player, but YouTube will not store personally-identifiable cookie information for playbacks of embedded videos using the privacy-enhanced mode.

Enabling privacy-enhanced mode

If you'd like to enable the privacy-enhanced mode for a video that you're about to embed on another site, simply:

  • Find the video that you'd like to embed.
  • On the video page, click Share. You'll see the video's embed code. Directly below the embed code, you'll see various options, including the Enable privacy-enhanced mode checkbox.
  • Click the checkbox to select and enable privacy-enhanced mode on the video that you're about to embed.
  • Copy the video's embed code and paste the code into the section of the site where you'd like the video embedded. The video will be embedded in privacy-enhanced mode.