Are roadgeek meetings a fad of the past?

H.B. Elkins

Jun 10, 2007, 12:22:40 PM6/10/07
I pose this question to the group. Are the meet, eat and tour events we know as
roadgeek or road enthusiast meetings becoming a fad of the past?

We had seven people at the Kentucky meet yesterday (including myself) and I
appreciate those who came. But it seems that interest is dying in this activity.

There have been very few meets scheduled this year that I am aware of. I can
think of the Kentucky and the New York State meets off the top of my head; the
last most recent other one I can remember was SWPA back before Christmas. Seems
like scheduling of these events has really slacked off the last year or two, and
attendance is dwindling as well.

Is it a matter of time? High gas prices? Scheduling conflicts? Or a lack of
interest?

I try to go to any that are within a reasonable one-day driving distance (7
hours or so one-way) and I know I've missed a few that I planned to attend
(overslept and missed the last Greensboro meet a few years ago, and was sick and
missed the Columbus event two years ago). I planned one of my multi-day road
trips last year around the Pittsburgh National meet and had great fun at that
event. Maybe I'm weird in that I look forward to these things and try to
actively plan my schedule so I can go.

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else senses a decline in the popularity
of these, and if so, why you think that is.

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

Adam Prince

Jun 10, 2007, 12:39:07 PM6/10/07
Personally, after a number of years of putting them together, I've
just rather do other things on the weekend. I think being two years
in New York and not having to worry about organizing one was
enjoyable.

Those who actually have traveled a bit down to meets and stayed at my
place in the past know that after a meet I've organized am pretty much
exhausted. For me, I want to make sure that people are enjoying
themselves, that no one is getting lost on a side tour, and that if we
are touring on a construction site that the group is safe.

A lot of it depends on where you are located. In Raleigh, we are
fortunate to have a number of people involved in the hobby where it's
become more enjoyable for the group to meet every few months on a
weeknight. Most of the time we don't even talk about highways. From
those local evening get togethers sometimes plans to go as a small
group to look at construction or what not. The local we had last
month had seven of us meet for dinner.

Heck some of the best meets I've ran over the years had less than five
people. The nearly 20 folks we had in Raleigh in June 2004 was a lot
of fun. But there's a lot to make sure of. (Thank goodness Froggie
came down a few weeks earlier so we were able to scout the side-trip
route etc.)

For me, when I put together a weekend meet. I don't try to do the
best date for someone 5 or more hours away to attend. Relying on
someone or a group of people to travel that far isn't worth the
effort. If there is demand from folks that are closeby (three hours
or less) I tend to go with that.

Also, over the years my weekends are more involved as work and other
outside priorities take place. Since, I've been back in NC, I really
haven't had much interest to put a weekend meet together. Maybe that
will change, but right now I just don't.

It's not a dying fad, it's just that there hasn't been much of anyone
else to step up and organize them or what not.

On Jun 10, 12:22 pm, H.B. Elkins <hbelk...@mis.net.restrictorplate>

Scott M. Kozel

Jun 10, 2007, 2:15:04 PM6/10/07
H.B. Elkins <hbel...@mis.net.restrictorplate> wrote:

> I pose this question to the group. Are the meet, eat and tour events we know as
> roadgeek or road enthusiast meetings becoming a fad of the past?
>
> We had seven people at the Kentucky meet yesterday (including myself) and I
> appreciate those who came. But it seems that interest is dying in this activity.
>
> There have been very few meets scheduled this year that I am aware of. I can
> think of the Kentucky and the New York State meets off the top of my head; the
> last most recent other one I can remember was SWPA back before Christmas. Seems
> like scheduling of these events has really slacked off the last year or two, and
> attendance is dwindling as well.
>
> Is it a matter of time? High gas prices? Scheduling conflicts? Or a lack of
> interest?

Distance is a major factor. If the Kentucky meet was 100 or so miles
away, I probably would have attended. It is over 400 miles from where I
live, as would be New York State meets, and that is a very long distance
to travel for an event that lasts 2 to 4 hours.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

Mike Tantillo

Jun 10, 2007, 5:49:16 PM6/10/07
wrote:
> I pose this question to the group. Are the meet, eat and tour events we know as
> roadgeek or road enthusiast meetings becoming a fad of the past?
>
> We had seven people at the Kentucky meet yesterday (including myself) and I
> appreciate those who came. But it seems that interest is dying in this activity.

Seven is still a decent number....where did people travel from? If
you had a few people from far away, that is pretty impressive.

> There have been very few meets scheduled this year that I am aware of. I can
> think of the Kentucky and the New York State meets off the top of my head; the
> last most recent other one I can remember was SWPA back before Christmas. Seems
> like scheduling of these events has really slacked off the last year or two, and
> attendance is dwindling as well.

It was a novelty at first. The novelty has worn off. Plus, the first
few meets were more meeting people we didn't know but knew their name
through internet forums. Now, people know each other...those who wish
to continue to be in contact with one another do so, those who don't
don't.

> Is it a matter of time? High gas prices? Scheduling conflicts? Or a lack of
> interest?

Time and gas prices have something to do with it. I'm obsessed with
driving, and when gas prices were $1.20/gallon, and I was in college
and had plenty of free time between classes, going on roadtrips was
appealing. Now that I have a full time job, I value my time more.
And gas prices are putting a dent into my driving. I've actually
started taking mass transit [oh the horror! ;-) ] for part of my
journey to work everyday, even though it takes me 15 - 20 minutes
longer each way in order to cut down on driving.

> I try to go to any that are within a reasonable one-day driving distance (7
> hours or so one-way) and I know I've missed a few that I planned to attend
> (overslept and missed the last Greensboro meet a few years ago, and was sick and
> missed the Columbus event two years ago). I planned one of my multi-day road
> trips last year around the Pittsburgh National meet and had great fun at that
> event. Maybe I'm weird in that I look forward to these things and try to
> actively plan my schedule so I can go.

Even 7 hours each way is a bit much. When we had the Pikeville meet
and I lived in Raleigh, that was about the upper limit of what I would
want to drive to attend a roadgeek meet (and even that was an
overnighter....stayed the night before in Bluefield). I'll make an
exception for NY State meets, since the nostalgia of going back to my
old home state is worth it for me (plus, anything within a couple
hours drive of NYC means I can go home to visit family as well...did
that for Hudson Valley and Albany, but not Horseheads).

Steve A.

Jun 10, 2007, 8:58:41 PM6/10/07
On Jun 10, 12:22 pm, H.B. Elkins <hbelk...@mis.net.restrictorplate>
wrote:
Fad of the past? Hardly, we still discuss them all the time. There's
a Connecticut meet in the works, though I think that was postponed
slightly (as I recall, it was originally going to be in June, but now
it's June), and I've been thinking about a New Jersey meet. Not easy
to plan these things, to find enough of interest and to get the "ins"
to be able to do things you can't just do on the way to the meet.

wherero...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2007, 10:07:10 PM6/10/07

I hope they're not over... I still haven't made it to one. (-:

I think a lot of the "original" members (those who have been around
from the beginning of MTR, and who have some of the longer-standing
websites) are probably getting other things to do, and may not have
the time to put into meets anymore. However, I think there's plenty of
new people joining the hobby - I've been seeing a lot of names posting
fairly reguarly lately that have only showed up in the past year or
less. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the newer faces in the
roadgeek community start showing up to meets, and even start doing
their own.

Gas prices, of course, aren't helping matters. My biggest problem is
also that I work one or two Saturdays a month at college to help pay
the bills, and that's usually when meets in the Northeast fall.

I've also noticed that it seems that the Northeast (New England/NY/NJ/
PA) seems to have meets fairly regularly - usually one or two a year -
while other regions of the country seem to go much longer in between.
Not sure if it's because people are more spread out in the midwest and
west coast, or what. (There are quite a few very active members of MTR
and the road community who live in the greater NYC-Boston area, so
that probably helps.)

Steve - I'm sure you will anyway, but keep MTR posted on that CT road
meet. If the timing works out right, I'd definitely be up for
attending, since I'm on a regular 9-to-5 weekday job in the
Springfield, MA area over the summer, not too far away. I'm not sure
if one of those "June"s was supposed to be a July, but either way I'm
fairly open on weekends this summer and I'd be interested in
attending.

-Dan

Random Waftings Of Bunker Blasts

Jun 10, 2007, 10:15:24 PM6/10/07
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:07:10 -0700, wherero...@gmail.com said:

>I hope they're not over... I still haven't made it to one.

I haven't been to one either, thanks to the fascism that prevented me from
going to the ones in Cincinnati.

--

Buy my book about school bullying here:

http://www.lulu.com/content/112781 (recommended)
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=1411626559

Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern

Jun 10, 2007, 10:26:10 PM6/10/07
Random Waftings Of Bunker Blasts wrote:

> I haven't been to one either, thanks to the fascism that prevented me from
> going to the ones in Cincinnati.

Didn't know Benito Mussolini was a roadgeek. Adam Prince certainly wasn't
involved, so you can't blame him. And weren't the meets awhile ago? Christ,
you sure do hold a grudge don't you? Mellow out. Have a beer. Stop
listening to that 80's shit and listen to some real music.

--
Comrade Otto Yamamoto
http://mryamamoto.50megs.com

The Chief Instigator

Jun 10, 2007, 10:27:53 PM6/10/07
mister19...@hotmail.com (Random Waftings Of Bunker Blasts) writes:

>On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:07:10 -0700, wherero...@gmail.com said:

>>I hope they're not over... I still haven't made it to one.

>I haven't been to one either, thanks to the fascism that prevented me from
>going to the ones in Cincinnati.

Living in another school district is one thing. Living in a school district
in another state is an entirely different can of worms - and eminently legal
for said district to require you and your parents to live in the same state
and district you wanted to attend school in.

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Benham, Kentucky
chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2006-07 Houston Aeros) AA#2273

Random Waftings Of Bunker Blasts

Jun 10, 2007, 10:50:42 PM6/10/07
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:26:10 -0400, Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern
<dont-...@te-when-i-do-th.is> said:

>you sure do hold a grudge don't you?

The #roadgeek thought police still bans me and Jeremy from the channel over
something that happened SEVEN years ago. Now that's what I call holding a
grudge.

Rothman

Jun 10, 2007, 10:53:47 PM6/10/07
> -Dan- Hide quoted text -

A job in Springfield? Liar. There aren't any jobs there.

Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern

Jun 10, 2007, 11:07:06 PM6/10/07
Random Waftings Of Bunker Blasts wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:26:10 -0400, Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern
> <dont-...@te-when-i-do-th.is> said:
>
>>you sure do hold a grudge don't you?
>
> The #roadgeek thought police still bans me and Jeremy from the channel
> over something that happened SEVEN years ago. Now that's what I call
> holding a grudge.

Not like I have anything to do with that, as I've said every single time you
mention it. It's not my problem, anyway. Which I seem to recall saying a
few times, too. Now it's time for one of your mature responses, then ,isn't
it?

Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern

Jun 10, 2007, 11:08:52 PM6/10/07
MTR is dead. Roadgeeking is dead. And the world ended five minutes ago. That
about covers it all then, don't it? You may resume whatever you were doing.

Rich Piehl

Jun 10, 2007, 11:13:26 PM6/10/07
Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern wrote:
> MTR is dead. Roadgeeking is dead. And the world ended five minutes ago. That
> about covers it all then, don't it? You may resume whatever you were doing.

Does that mean I don't have to go to work tomorrow?

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA
--
Et in terra pax

Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern

Jun 11, 2007, 12:40:06 AM6/11/07
Rich Piehl wrote:

Try it and see how it goes.

k_f...@lycos.com

Jun 11, 2007, 12:53:52 AM6/11/07
On Jun 10, 10:22 am, H.B. Elkins <hbelk...@mis.net.restrictorplate>
wrote:

Distance is definitely a factor for those of us in Colorado. A seven-
hour drive could leave us still within the same state; I couldn't
imagine folks driving in to Denver from out of state for an afternoon
geek meet.

We've had three meets in Colorado, organized by Matt Salek of Highways
of Colorado web site fame and myself. We've had six to eight at each,
in addition to a CDOT or contractor rep to give us guided tours of the
T-REX project on I-25 & 225.

Now that T-REX is finished, we suggested last year that this year we
would try to do a tour of the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnel complex on
I-70 at the Continental Divide; CDOT says they can handle that. Maybe
sometime this summer, if we put up a notice well in advance, would
anyone from out of Colorado consider coming in for it? Maybe a lunch
in Georgetown on the way up the hill, then the behind-the-scenes tour?

k_f...@lycos.com

Jun 11, 2007, 12:56:00 AM6/11/07
On Jun 10, 8:26 pm, Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern <dont-yo...@te-when-

i-do-th.is> wrote:
> Random Waftings Of Bunker Blasts wrote:
>
> > I haven't been to one either, thanks to the fascism that prevented me from
> > going to the ones in Cincinnati.
>
> Didn't know Benito Mussolini was a roadgeek.

He wasn't; he was a mass transit geek.

Remember, he got the trains to run on time! ;-O

Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern

Jun 11, 2007, 1:03:22 AM6/11/07
k_f...@lycos.com wrote:

But those were the *Italian* trains. See, after that, he came to Ohio, and
issued an edict that TimBrown would never be able to attend any road meets
because of his progressive views. Or something.

Premier Bush

Jun 11, 2007, 1:52:16 AM6/11/07

I made a post proposing a meet for the town I just moved to, and as of 3
days nobody has responded to it. Don't know if there's just no market for
it in this area or if it's indicitive of the whole scene.

Rothman

Jun 11, 2007, 8:23:06 AM6/11/07
On Jun 10, 11:08 pm, Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern <dont-yo...@te-when-

i-do-th.is> wrote:
> MTR is dead. Roadgeeking is dead. And the world ended five minutes ago. That
> about covers it all then, don't it? You may resume whatever you were doing.

Actually, posts have been up when compared to last year at the same
time on MTR. Pretty interesting.

Rich Piehl

Jun 11, 2007, 9:01:07 AM6/11/07
k_f...@lycos.com wrote:

> Now that T-REX is finished, we suggested last year that this year we
> would try to do a tour of the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnel complex on
> I-70 at the Continental Divide; CDOT says they can handle that. Maybe
> sometime this summer, if we put up a notice well in advance, would
> anyone from out of Colorado consider coming in for it? Maybe a lunch
> in Georgetown on the way up the hill, then the behind-the-scenes tour?

That would be interesting. If I lived closer I would definitely
consider attending that.

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA

--
Et in terra pax

H.B. Elkins

Jun 11, 2007, 9:20:07 AM6/11/07
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:58:41 -0700, Steve A. wrote:

>Not easy
>to plan these things, to find enough of interest and to get the "ins"
>to be able to do things you can't just do on the way to the meet.

Yes, I agree.

I've wanted to do several in Kentucky but the problem has always been finding a
spot with a decent amount of construction centered on a specific town. Pikeville
worked out well a couple of years ago because we got to see the completed and
under construction portions of a 30-mile segment of US 119, and to experience
the old two-lane road the new construction will replace.

The Somerset meet had several projects just underway or nearing completion, plus
there was the bonus of the low water level of Lake Cumberland that exposed a
roadbed from the 1940s and earlier that is usually submerged, even at winter
pool.

Plus you always want to find a decent restaurant, either a local place or a
regional chain, that has a bit of unique flavor. Otherwise we'd have meets at
Denny's. :-p

I have long wanted to do a meet at Hall's on the River, a neat restaurant not
too far from Winchester, Richmond and Lexington located (you guessed it) down on
the Kentucky river in a remote section of Clark County not too far downstream
from Fort Boonesborough. But there never has been enough accessible construction
or other interesting projects in that area to justify a couple hours' worth of
touring.

H.B. Elkins

Jun 11, 2007, 9:25:59 AM6/11/07
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:52:16 -0500, Premier Bush wrote:

>I made a post proposing a meet for the town I just moved to, and as of 3
>days nobody has responded to it. Don't know if there's just no market for
>it in this area or if it's indicitive of the whole scene.

Since I've never been to your new state of residence, I'd be up for it, but it's
not a trip I could make in one day and I generally prefer to not make overnight
weekend trips.

kh...@jersey.net

Jun 11, 2007, 9:47:57 AM6/11/07
On Jun 10, 8:58 pm, "Steve A." <zoningper...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> to be able to do things you can't just do on the way to the meet.- Hide quoted text -

I've been one that also, as long as I've been in this 'hobby', has
never made it to a group meet. Always wanted to, but various reasons
caused me to miss them.

After I got married, interests have changed....slightly. I'm still an
active roadgeek...even if I'm not posting pictures on websites and
such. My websites have been down for several years, although they are
saved on disks somewhere at work or at home!

Lately, one of my biggest hobbies is Christmas Lights and decorating.
It's a year-round obsession, and one where the market is growing.

kh...@jersey.net

Jun 11, 2007, 9:50:44 AM6/11/07

Yeah, but is that due to legit posts, or to the flame wars that have
turned a number of people away from forums like this? Hell, even in
this one, once again, Random Waftings and Blood Orgy got into it. It
drives up the post count, but adds negative equity into the group as a
whole.

Richard

Jun 11, 2007, 11:40:27 AM6/11/07
I know there was talk last year of a meet to see the new bridge in
Toledo, OH. I hope that still comes to fruition.

I've considered having a meet in Dayton for the past few years, but
there isn't that much to get excited about in my stretch of the woods.

Andrew Tompkins

Jun 11, 2007, 2:32:20 PM6/11/07
H.B. Elkins wrote:
> I pose this question to the group. Are the meet, eat and tour events we know as
> roadgeek or road enthusiast meetings becoming a fad of the past?
>
> We had seven people at the Kentucky meet yesterday (including myself) and I
> appreciate those who came. But it seems that interest is dying in this activity.
>
> There have been very few meets scheduled this year that I am aware of. I can
> think of the Kentucky and the New York State meets off the top of my head; the
> last most recent other one I can remember was SWPA back before Christmas. Seems
> like scheduling of these events has really slacked off the last year or two, and
> attendance is dwindling as well.
>
> Is it a matter of time? High gas prices? Scheduling conflicts? Or a lack of
> interest?
>
> I try to go to any that are within a reasonable one-day driving distance (7
> hours or so one-way) and I know I've missed a few that I planned to attend
> (overslept and missed the last Greensboro meet a few years ago, and was sick and
> missed the Columbus event two years ago). I planned one of my multi-day road
> trips last year around the Pittsburgh National meet and had great fun at that
> event. Maybe I'm weird in that I look forward to these things and try to
> actively plan my schedule so I can go.
>
> I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else senses a decline in the popularity
> of these, and if so, why you think that is.

I'd go if they didn't keep on cropping up in places like KY, NC, PA,
etc. ;-) That's a bit outside my radius. I'd go to any in Portland,
Seattle, WA Tri-cities, Pendleton or Eugene. Probably be an overnight
for Spokane, Boise or Medford. Definitely 2 nights for Salt Lake, Reno
or San Francisco. I did consider going to the last SF one but something
came up and I couldn't.

--
--Andy
Beaverton, OR

Ryan

Jun 11, 2007, 4:17:44 PM6/11/07
"k_f...@lycos.com" <k_f...@lycos.com> wrote in

> Now that T-REX is finished, we suggested last year that this year we
> would try to do a tour of the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnel complex on
> I-70 at the Continental Divide; CDOT says they can handle that. Maybe
> sometime this summer, if we put up a notice well in advance, would
> anyone from out of Colorado consider coming in for it? Maybe a lunch
> in Georgetown on the way up the hill, then the behind-the-scenes tour?

I'm there, provided that I can gain the day off from work.

--
_____
Ryan

"If everyone went commando, wedgies wouldn't be funny anymore"
_____

wherero...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2007, 6:09:54 PM6/11/07

Okay, you caught me. It's up the river in Holyoke. The outskirts of
Holyoke, right out by I-91, the mall, and that tangle that calls
itself an interchange with US 5 and the Mass Pike... Lucky for me,
there were summer sublets from UMASS students available in Amherst.
Otherwise I don't know where I'd be living...

-Dan

Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern

Jun 11, 2007, 7:01:13 PM6/11/07
H.B. Elkins wrote:

> Plus you always want to find a decent restaurant, either a local place or
> a regional chain, that has a bit of unique flavor. Otherwise we'd have
> meets at Denny's

One plus about NYS meets. New York has chains, but they also have numerous
independent restaurants where you can get good food at reasonable prices.

Oscar Voss

Jun 11, 2007, 7:03:48 PM6/11/07
"H.B. Elkins" <hbel...@mis.net.restrictorplate> wrote in message

> I try to go to any that are within a reasonable one-day driving distance
> (7
> hours or so one-way) and I know I've missed a few that I planned to attend
> (overslept and missed the last Greensboro meet a few years ago, and was
> sick and
> missed the Columbus event two years ago). I planned one of my multi-day
> road
> trips last year around the Pittsburgh National meet and had great fun at
> that
> event. Maybe I'm weird in that I look forward to these things and try to
> actively plan my schedule so I can go.

I'll occasionally go for a trip to an out-of-region meet that requires an
overnight stay and/or time off from work. I had to do both for your KY meet
last Saturday (great time, thanks for putting it on!). But that was an
exceptional situation, since I had other reasons to make the trip, and it's
not often I'll drive that far for a meet. I did come close to making last
year's Denver meet (coincided with a three-week road trip out there, and I
blew through Denver a few days before and a few days after, but I couldn't
bend my itinerary enough to be there for the weekend). With family in
California, flying out to a meet there is always a possibility.

Regrettably, I'm not up to hosting an event in the DC area. Not just my
increasingly unpredictable workload, but also my total lack of connections
with any of the local DOTs to get legit access to construction sites, etc.

--
Oscar Voss - oscar...@comcast.net - Arlington VA
(my old e-mail address still works too)

my Hot Springs and Highways pages: http://users.erols.com/ovoss/
Hawaii Highways: http://www.hawaiihighways.com/

Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern

Jun 11, 2007, 7:04:49 PM6/11/07
kh...@jersey.net wrote:

> Yeah, but is that due to legit posts, or to the flame wars that have
> turned a number of people away from forums like this?  Hell, even in
> this one, once again, Random Waftings and Blood Orgy got into it.  It
> drives up the post count, but adds negative equity into the group as a
> whole.

Well, EXCUUUUSE ME! Not like I haven't been doing this for years, eh? It's
not so much 'negative equity' as an 'occupational hazard'. You never know,
*some* people might even find it entertaining. Or Not. Whatever.

Rothman

Jun 11, 2007, 8:23:34 PM6/11/07
On Jun 11, 6:04 pm, Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern <dont-yo...@te-when-
i-do-th.is> wrote:

...or some people don't care either way.

29 kids named Jerome

Jun 11, 2007, 9:38:18 PM6/11/07
Rothman wrote:

Philistine.

--
Comrade Otto Yamamoto
http://mryamamoto.50megs.com

Ramping up the post count uselessly. Again.

djg...@yahoo.com

Jun 11, 2007, 10:09:59 PM6/11/07

Funny you should mention that, Richard...the most expensive project in
ODOT history, Toledo's I-280 cable-stayed bridge (The Veterans Glass
City Skyway), will be dedicated in less than 2 weeks on Saturday, June
23 in the morning, followed by a walk/run across the bridge. With
that, there is definitely a plan in the works for a Toledo roads
gathering & tour coming up either later in the summer or in the early
fall...stay tuned!

Dan

Douglas Kerr

Jun 12, 2007, 7:14:37 AM6/12/07
On Jun 10, 10:07 pm, whereroadsm...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jun 10, 8:58 pm, "Steve A." <zoningper...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 10, 12:22 pm, H.B. Elkins <hbelk...@mis.net.restrictorplate>
> > wrote:
>
> > > I pose this question to the group. Are the meet, eat and tour events we know as
> > > roadgeek or road enthusiast meetings becoming a fad of the past?
>
> > > We had seven people at the Kentucky meet yesterday (including myself) and I
> > > appreciate those who came. But it seems that interest is dying in this activity.
>
> > > There have been very few meets scheduled this year that I am aware of. I can
> > > think of the Kentucky and the New York State meets off the top of my head; the
> > > last most recent other one I can remember was SWPA back before Christmas. Seems
> > > like scheduling of these events has really slacked off the last year or two, and
> > > attendance is dwindling as well.
>
> > > Is it a matter of time? High gas prices? Scheduling conflicts? Or a lack of
> > > interest?
>
> > > I try to go to any that are within a reasonable one-day driving distance (7
> > > hours or so one-way) and I know I've missed a few that I planned to attend
> > > (overslept and missed the last Greensboro meet a few years ago, and was sick and
> > > missed the Columbus event two years ago). I planned one of my multi-day road
> > > trips last year around the Pittsburgh National meet and had great fun at that
> > > event. Maybe I'm weird in that I look forward to these things and try to
> > > actively plan my schedule so I can go.
>
> > > I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else senses a decline in the popularity
> > > of these, and if so, why you think that is.
>
> > Fad of the past? Hardly, we still discuss them all the time. There's
> > a Connecticut meet in the works, though I think that was postponed
> > slightly (as I recall, it was originally going to be in June, but now
> > it's June), and I've been thinking about a New Jersey meet. Not easy
> > to plan these things, to find enough of interest and to get the "ins"
> > to be able to do things you can't just do on the way to the meet.
>
> I hope they're not over... I still haven't made it to one. (-:
>
> I think a lot of the "original" members (those who have been around
> from the beginning of MTR, and who have some of the longer-standing
> websites) are probably getting other things to do, and may not have
> the time to put into meets anymore. However, I think there's plenty of
> new people joining the hobby - I've been seeing a lot of names posting
> fairly reguarly lately that have only showed up in the past year or
> less. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the newer faces in the
> roadgeek community start showing up to meets, and even start doing
> their own.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Many of us in the hobby have interests
besides roads, or other engagements to attend to from time to time.
The interest in meets is still there, but the timing isn't necessarily
there.

> Gas prices, of course, aren't helping matters. My biggest problem is
> also that I work one or two Saturdays a month at college to help pay
> the bills, and that's usually when meets in the Northeast fall.

Saturdays tend to be the traditional day for meets to be held,
although there have been meets held on Sundays as well. I think
Saturdays tend to work better, since those of us who work a
traidtional Monday-Friday 9-5 type job like to be able to relax a bit
before going back to work on Monday. I also tend to hold meets in the
spring or fall, since there tends to be a little more going on in the
summer.

> I've also noticed that it seems that the Northeast (New England/NY/NJ/
> PA) seems to have meets fairly regularly - usually one or two a year -
> while other regions of the country seem to go much longer in between.
> Not sure if it's because people are more spread out in the midwest and
> west coast, or what. (There are quite a few very active members of MTR
> and the road community who live in the greater NYC-Boston area, so
> that probably helps.)

I've been holding NY meets, generally around Upstate or Western New
York, once or twice a year. We had our spring meet in Poughkeepsie
this year, and I am thinking about bringing the show back to Buffalo
next year.

> Steve - I'm sure you will anyway, but keep MTR posted on that CT road
> meet. If the timing works out right, I'd definitely be up for
> attending, since I'm on a regular 9-to-5 weekday job in the
> Springfield, MA area over the summer, not too far away. I'm not sure
> if one of those "June"s was supposed to be a July, but either way I'm
> fairly open on weekends this summer and I'd be interested in
> attending.

I have been thinking of holding a meet in and around Hartford, CT.
Not sure when that would be exactly. Even if that meet holds off
until say, October, I would be ok with just riding around for some
weekend afternoon as well.

Rothman

Jun 12, 2007, 7:59:04 AM6/12/07
On Jun 11, 9:38 pm, 29 kids named Jerome <i...@lk-the-thinnest-li.ne>
wrote:

> Rothman wrote:
> > On Jun 11, 6:04 pm, Blood Orgy of The Atomic Fern <dont-yo...@te-when-
> > i-do-th.is> wrote:
>
> >> Well, EXCUUUUSE ME! Not like I haven't been doing this for years, eh?
> >> It's not so much 'negative equity' as an 'occupational hazard'. You never
> >> know, *some* people might even find it entertaining. Or Not. Whatever.
>
> >> --
> >> Comrade Otto Yamamotohttp://mryamamoto.50megs.com
> >> Enjoy Grand Touring!
>
> > ...or some people don't care either way.
>
> Philistine.

Huh?

H.B. Elkins

Jun 12, 2007, 10:34:22 AM6/12/07
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:09:59 -0700, djg...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Funny you should mention that, Richard...the most expensive project in
>ODOT history, Toledo's I-280 cable-stayed bridge (The Veterans Glass
>City Skyway), will be dedicated in less than 2 weeks on Saturday, June
>23 in the morning, followed by a walk/run across the bridge. With
>that, there is definitely a plan in the works for a Toledo roads
>gathering & tour coming up either later in the summer or in the early
>fall...stay tuned!

I think I'd be interested in attending this one, Dan. Be sure to put me on your
mailing list for it!

(Now if they'd just invent a transporter so I could beam directly there and
(yawn) not have to (yawn) drive up I-75 (yawn) north of Dayton (yawn).)