Oddest street-name themes?

k_f...@lycos.com

Apr 16, 2007, 8:20:48 PM4/16/07
In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.

Seems like most cities have Higher Ed portions of the grid (In Denver
we have a portion of the "southern latitude" of E-W avenues named for
esteemed institutions of higher learning, and somehow my alma mater
slipped in); many have state sections (Again, in Denver, I think
something like 46 or 48 states show up somehow on our street grid);
Most cities have a presidential theme in there, with at least a
Washington Street or Lincoln Street (Denver has Adams, Jefferson,
Madison, Monroe, "Quincy" - not sure it's for JQA, Jackson, and on and
on); trees trees trees (as if to memorialize cutting them all down -
Denver has a section east of Colorado Boulevard in which trees or some
type of flora are represented on N-S streets in alphabetical order,
interspersed with a neutral name beginning with the same letter:
Albion, Ash, Bellaire, Birch, Clermont, Cherry, Dexter, Dahlia, etc.).
We even have a Civil War themed section of Lincoln-Sherman-Grant
bracketing our state Capitol.

Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

Michael G. Koerner

Apr 16, 2007, 8:35:46 PM4/16/07

I recall a development once that named its streets on a Lord of the Rings theme.

IIRC, most of the streets in the area around the Wisconsin state capitol in
Madison are named after signers of the Declaration of Independence.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Casey Cress

Apr 16, 2007, 8:56:31 PM4/16/07

In Yorktown, IN a subdivision called "The Landings" features roads named
after airports, such as Ohare, Kennedy, Stapleton, Midway, Heathrow,
Logan, etc. I believe the land used to be an old airport.
http://tinyurl.com/2uvhk8

John Mara

Apr 16, 2007, 9:12:49 PM4/16/07
k_f...@lycos.com wrote:

> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

Syracuse has Tecumseh and Sherman which are parallel a block apart. I
don't think there's a William around there there though.

--
John Mara

Message has been deleted

Free Lunch

Apr 16, 2007, 10:06:12 PM4/16/07
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:35:46 -0500, in misc.transport.road
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in
<GoednfFAbfnBi7nb...@athenet.net>:

>k_f...@lycos.com wrote:
>> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
>> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
>>
>> Seems like most cities have Higher Ed portions of the grid (In Denver
>> we have a portion of the "southern latitude" of E-W avenues named for
>> esteemed institutions of higher learning, and somehow my alma mater
>> slipped in); many have state sections (Again, in Denver, I think
>> something like 46 or 48 states show up somehow on our street grid);
>> Most cities have a presidential theme in there, with at least a
>> Washington Street or Lincoln Street (Denver has Adams, Jefferson,
>> Madison, Monroe, "Quincy" - not sure it's for JQA, Jackson, and on and
>> on); trees trees trees (as if to memorialize cutting them all down -
>> Denver has a section east of Colorado Boulevard in which trees or some
>> type of flora are represented on N-S streets in alphabetical order,
>> interspersed with a neutral name beginning with the same letter:
>> Albion, Ash, Bellaire, Birch, Clermont, Cherry, Dexter, Dahlia, etc.).
>> We even have a Civil War themed section of Lincoln-Sherman-Grant
>> bracketing our state Capitol.
>>
>> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?
>
>I recall a development once that named its streets on a Lord of the Rings theme.
>
>IIRC, most of the streets in the area around the Wisconsin state capitol in
>Madison are named after signers of the Declaration of Independence.

Not to be picky, but it was named after the signers of the
_Constitution_.

Aside from the usual things like a president's section along Monroe St.,
trees and other plants, and colleges in Shorewood Hills, Madison also
has Wisconsin counties, Long Island, apple varieties, national parks,
and pioneers of electronics (well, only three next to each other, but
Tesla was misspelled for most of the decades that it was around).

Premier Bush

Apr 16, 2007, 10:19:43 PM4/16/07
k_f...@lycos.com wrote:
> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

There is a subdivision south of Sapulpa, OK with names of older Ford cars:
Mustang Cir, Thunderbird Ln, Pinto Ln, Ranger Rd, Fairlane Dr, Galaxy
(should really be "Galaxie") Rd.

Premier Bush

Apr 16, 2007, 10:24:41 PM4/16/07
Casey Cress wrote:
> In Yorktown, IN a subdivision called "The Landings" features roads
> named after airports, such as Ohare, Kennedy, Stapleton, Midway,
> Heathrow, Logan, etc. I believe the land used to be an old airport.
> http://tinyurl.com/2uvhk8

There's a subdivision in Bentonville, AR on the site of a former airport
with streets like Convair St, Lockheed St, Boeing Ave, and Douglas St.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/AR/Airfields_AR_N.htm#rogers

Michael G. Koerner

Apr 16, 2007, 10:39:11 PM4/16/07

I knew it was one of the two and both documents have signers in common.

Free Lunch

Apr 16, 2007, 10:51:36 PM4/16/07
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:39:11 -0500, in misc.transport.road
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in
<s72dnc26JtLVrrnb...@athenet.net>:

You are right, there were many duplicates, but they put up new
commemorative street signs in the late '80s for the bicentennial of the
Constitution, and there are a few ringers in the downtown: State, Main,
Doty, Wisconsin, MLK Jr which used to be Monona, not to be confused with
the other King Street a block away which was named after Rufus King, a
signer.

Craig Holl

Apr 16, 2007, 10:56:31 PM4/16/07
k_f...@lycos.com wrote:
> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
>
> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

Greendale, WI (south suburb of Milwaukee) puts their streets in groupings by
first letter. Apricot, Arbutus, Azalea, Arrowwood, Angle, Apple, Alba,
Acorn, Avena. Etc.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=42.941596,-87.990489&spn=0.022054,0.039911&om=1

--
Craig Holl
Mechanical Engineer

tom

Apr 16, 2007, 11:58:34 PM4/16/07
"k_f...@lycos.com" <k_f...@lycos.com> wrote in

In the Pacific Beach section of San Diego, a number of the east-west
streets are named after minerals, starting with Amethyst and ending, I
believe with Hornblende. Interestingly, however, everybody seems to
pronounce Garnet as garNET, not like the mineral.

allniter

Apr 17, 2007, 12:26:21 AM4/17/07
Maybe not compliant but many industrial parks have street names like
Receivers, Shippers, Product, Investment, Distributor, Profit etc.

allniter

Apr 17, 2007, 12:32:45 AM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 11:26 pm, allniter <allniter2...@msn.com> wrote:
> Maybe not compliant but many industrial parks have street names like
> Receivers, Shippers, Product, Investment, Distributor, Profit etc.

In my travels, it seems the idea of naming streets alphabetically,
whether themed or not seems to be a fairly common practice, tho they
dont usually get to the final 3 (xyz)

brink

Apr 17, 2007, 1:00:53 AM4/17/07

<k_f...@lycos.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Good question... lots of "odd" themes out there... around here in Moreno
Valley, CA we have a section comprised of the "poet streets": Wordsworth,
Chaucer, Tennyson, Dickinson, etc.

Colton, CA has Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe streets.

The very small community of Lido Island in Newport Beach, CA has an unusual
alphabet array of mostly European geographic names, most in their native
language forms: Antibes, Barcelona, Cordova, Dijon, Eboli, Fermo, Firenze,
Florence (yes, that's Firenze AND Florence, which are of course the Italian
and English names for the same city), Genoa, Graziana, Havre, Ithaca, Jucar,
Koron, Lorca, Mentone, Nice, Orvieto, Palermo, Quito, Ravenna, San Remo,
Trieste, Undine, Venezia, Waziers, Xanthe, Yella, and Zurich.

Lots of others I've encountered over the years... I'll keep thinking abou
this.

brink

k_f...@lycos.com

Apr 17, 2007, 1:12:03 AM4/17/07

Denver metro area goes through several rotations of the alphabet and
has many "X" "Y" and "Z" streets. My favorite, Zenobia, goes by my
kids' old elementary school and is named for one of PT Barnum's
elephants. Barnum owned a lot of land in west Denver and my wife once
taught at the Barnum Elementary (Elephantary?) School.

Some of our X streets are Xavier, Xenon, Xenophon, Xanthia, Xenia,
Xanadu and Xapary.

Scott Wood

Apr 17, 2007, 1:45:12 AM4/17/07
On 16 Apr 2007 17:20:48 -0700, k_f...@lycos.com <k_f...@lycos.com> wrote:
> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
[snip]

> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

Fredericksburg, TX has the following cross-streets on Main St heading
east from the center of town, in order (note the first letter of each):

Adams
Llano
Lincoln
Washington
Elk
Lee
Columbus
Olive
Mesquite
Eagle

...and westbound:
Crockett
Orange
Milam
Edison
Bowie
Acorn
Cherry
Kay

Westtown, NY has a pair of roads named "The Drive" and "The Place".

-Scott

Michael Gronseth

Apr 17, 2007, 1:45:42 AM4/17/07

I don't know how odd this is, but I'll post it all the same. In Gwinn,
Michigan, the old K.I. Sawyer AFB has streets in the residential
section named after military aircraft. Such names as Voodoo,
Stratofort, Hustler, Invader, Gooneybird. None of the streets btw have
a suffix. A friend of mine lived at 420 Invader for a while.

-Michael P. Gronseth
Negaunee, MI

Halork

Apr 17, 2007, 5:19:12 AM4/17/07
Side note: Have you seen the book "Denver Streets" by Phil Goodstein?
Everything you'd ever want to know about the history of street names in
Denver.

Halork

Apr 17, 2007, 5:29:24 AM4/17/07
Ontonagon, MI also has a mining theme:

Conglomerate
Amygdaloid
Epidote
Prenhite
Spar
Quartz
Copper
Tin
Brass
Iron
Lead
Gold
Silver
Zinc
Mercury
Granite
Diamond
Slate

DandyDan

Apr 17, 2007, 6:43:08 AM4/17/07

My personal favorite is the Westmont subdivision sw of Omaha, which
has Shepard, Grissom, Glenn, Carpenter, Schirra, Mercury, Cooper, and
Slayton Streets. The one I don't get, less than a mile from my home
in the Omaha suburbs, has place names in South Carolina. I personally
prefer the one with place names in Ireland instead, which is just a
little further away. The real lame one, however, that occurs in
several Nebraska cities, including Omaha and Lincoln, is the Alphabet
theme, like "L", "O", or "Q" Streets. That doesn't strike me as very
original.

Justin Priola

Apr 17, 2007, 9:04:45 AM4/17/07

In Baton Rouge, land of subdivisions, we have:

A subdivision (Capital Heights) where most (but not all) streets are
named after Louisiana parishes

Another subdivision (University Club Plantation) where most of the
streets have an LSU/general university theme (Memorial Tower Dr,
Tradition Ave, Campanile Ct, etc)

Zion City: a couple of streets named for cars (Ford, Packard,
Cadillac)

Old Jefferson: streets named for business terms (Profit, Vice
President, Quorum, Director, Debit, Chairman)

Sherwood Forest: some streets under that theme (Locksley, Archery,
Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, Little John [not the rapper])

Istrouma area: streets with Native American names (Choctaw, Nokomis,
Pocahontas, Tuscarora, Chippewa, Seneca, etc.)

Then there are areas with the usual themes (presidents, trees, cities,
etc.)

Jake Brzeskiewicz

Apr 17, 2007, 9:13:22 AM4/17/07
I've run across a number of interesting themed roads as a
cartographer.

We've got the rock star subdivision just outside of Flint, MI. All
streets are named for members of Aerosmith, Pink Floyd and the
Greatful Dead.
Tyler Ct
Perry St
Whitford Dr
Hamilton Dr
Kramer Ct

Barret Ct
Gilmour Ct
Waters Ct
Mason Ct
Wright Cir

Garcia Ct
Weir St
Hunter Ln
Hart Cir

(It's a new subdivision, so sorry, no link.)

Here's one with an apple theme in Oak Creek, WI:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Oak+Creek,+WI+53154&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=42.890586,-87.944462&spn=0.008599,0.017338&om=1&iwloc=addr

I can't even count the number of golf-themed subdivisions like this
one in Rome, WI:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=rome,+wi&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=44.191867,-89.818854&spn=0.016832,0.034676&om=1&iwloc=addr

Other popular themes include Arthurian England (ha, ha "King Arthur's
Ct.", we get it. Enough already!), equestrian terms, alpine related
jargon (even in places like Florida) and of course, flora and fauna.
Another popular theme is what I'd call "post-9/11 patriotic". These
are streets that were built in the last 5-6 years that carry some sort
of patriotic name like "Freedom Way" or "Liberty Cir". These are
names are much less common on streets that date from the 80's or
90's. Hence the "post-9/11" qualifier.

And my personal favorite theme, Midwestern freshwater gamefish
species:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=haines+city,+fl&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=28.330477,-81.666816&spn=0.005166,0.008669&om=1
from central Florida, incidently.

Rothman

Apr 17, 2007, 11:00:39 AM4/17/07

Has anyone brought up Alexandia, VA's street names?

Duke St, Prince St, King St, Queen St, but Cameron St is between Queen
and King...

Gary E. Ansok

Apr 17, 2007, 11:20:14 AM4/17/07
In article <f015vu$a61$1...@news.msu.edu>, Casey Cress <cres...@msu.edu> wrote:
>k_f...@lycos.com wrote:
>> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
>> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
>>
>> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?
>
>In Yorktown, IN a subdivision called "The Landings" features roads named
>after airports, such as Ohare, Kennedy, Stapleton, Midway, Heathrow,
>Logan, etc. I believe the land used to be an old airport.
>http://tinyurl.com/2uvhk8

If you plug "Aero Acres" into Google Maps, you'll find a subdivision
where the streets have names like Fuselage Ave, which intersects with
Left Wing Dr and Right Wing Dr (Cockpit St is between the two Wings).

The streets aren't laid out in the shape of an airplane, though. ;-)

Gary
--
The recipe says "toss lightly," but I suppose that depends
on how much you eat and how bad the cramps get. - J. Lileks

k_f...@lycos.com

Apr 17, 2007, 11:34:13 AM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 11:45 pm, Scott Wood <s...@buserror.net> wrote:

Wow, that's highly subliminable, as our prez would say. Do visitors
get it?

And what if you come into town from the opposite direction? ;^)

k_f...@lycos.com

Apr 17, 2007, 11:34:47 AM4/17/07

Yes, a fun book indeed.

Scott Wood

Apr 17, 2007, 11:49:21 AM4/17/07
On 17 Apr 2007 08:34:13 -0700, k_f...@lycos.com <k_f...@lycos.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 11:45 pm, Scott Wood <s...@buserror.net> wrote:
>> Fredericksburg, TX has the following cross-streets on Main St heading
>> east from the center of town, in order (note the first letter of each):
[snip]

> Wow, that's highly subliminable, as our prez would say. Do visitors
> get it?

Only if they read the tourist literature that points it out. :-)

> And what if you come into town from the opposite direction? ;^)

It never works coming into town, only leaving (in either direction).

-Scott

Hugh Brodie

Apr 17, 2007, 1:31:13 PM4/17/07

<k_f...@lycos.com> wrote in message
> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
>
> Seems like most cities have Higher Ed portions of the grid (In Denver
> we have a portion of the "southern latitude" of E-W avenues named for
> esteemed institutions of higher learning, and somehow my alma mater
> slipped in); many have state sections (Again, in Denver, I think
> something like 46 or 48 states show up somehow on our street grid);
> Most cities have a presidential theme in there, with at least a
> Washington Street or Lincoln Street (Denver has Adams, Jefferson,
> Madison, Monroe, "Quincy" - not sure it's for JQA, Jackson, and on and
> on); trees trees trees (as if to memorialize cutting them all down -
> Denver has a section east of Colorado Boulevard in which trees or some
> type of flora are represented on N-S streets in alphabetical order,
> interspersed with a neutral name beginning with the same letter:
> Albion, Ash, Bellaire, Birch, Clermont, Cherry, Dexter, Dahlia, etc.).
> We even have a Civil War themed section of Lincoln-Sherman-Grant
> bracketing our state Capitol.
>
> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

Canada: the Montreal suburb of St-Lazare has a "horsey" theme:

Equestian
Derby
Kentucky
Carriage Way
Yearling
Master
Huntsmen
Coachman
Post
Steeplechase
Paddock
Furlong
Tally Ho

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=st-lazare,qc&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=45.427612,-74.156556&spn=0.007213,0.014462&om=1

UK: Liverpool:

John Lennon Drive

Paul McCartney Way

Ringo Starr Drive

George Harrison Close

larry_s...@yahoo.com

Apr 17, 2007, 2:05:58 PM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 5:20 pm, "k_fl...@lycos.com" <k_fl...@lycos.com> wrote:
> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
>
> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

My favorite set is in Silverado Canyon, in eastern Orange County, CA.

Thisa Way
Thata Way
Bythe Way
Whila Way
Hidea Way
Water Way

Robert Norheim

Apr 17, 2007, 3:45:48 PM4/17/07
Chicago has Superior St, Huron St, Erie St, Ontario St (all running
east-west north of the river) and of course Michigan Ave. Also, N. Saint
Clair St. runs north-south, one block east of Michigan Ave., just for a few
blocks from Superior down to Ontario and a couple blocks further. Wonder
what they would have done had that silly push a few years ago to name Lake
Champlain as a Great Lake been successful.

University of Washington campus has streets/paths named for counties in
Washington state (Skagit Lane, Klickitat Lane, Pend Orielle Road)
http://www.washington.edu/home/maps/

Washington DC of course has the alphabet theme, stripped down to the initial
letter (C St, D St, E St) but, once you get out to W St NW, it starts back
with *two syllable* names (Belmont, Chapin, Clifton, Euclid, Fairmont ...)
and then once you get to Webster, it goes to *three syllable* names
(Allison, Buchanan, Crittenden, Decatur ...). The streets don't "go
through" Rock Creek Park, so in a different part of the city you have
Benton, Calvert, Davis, Edmunds ... for the two syllables and Albemarle,
Appleton, Brandywine, Chesapeake ... for the three syllables

Bill

Apr 17, 2007, 4:01:57 PM4/17/07

<k_f...@lycos.com> wrote in message
> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
>
> Seems like most cities have Higher Ed portions of the grid (In Denver
> we have a portion of the "southern latitude" of E-W avenues named for
> esteemed institutions of higher learning, and somehow my alma mater
> slipped in); many have state sections (Again, in Denver, I think
> something like 46 or 48 states show up somehow on our street grid);
> Most cities have a presidential theme in there, with at least a
> Washington Street or Lincoln Street (Denver has Adams, Jefferson,
> Madison, Monroe, "Quincy" - not sure it's for JQA, Jackson, and on and
> on); trees trees trees (as if to memorialize cutting them all down -
> Denver has a section east of Colorado Boulevard in which trees or some
> type of flora are represented on N-S streets in alphabetical order,
> interspersed with a neutral name beginning with the same letter:
> Albion, Ash, Bellaire, Birch, Clermont, Cherry, Dexter, Dahlia, etc.).
> We even have a Civil War themed section of Lincoln-Sherman-Grant
> bracketing our state Capitol.
>
> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

Dallas: Fantasia, Snow White, Dwarf, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Aladdin, Sleepy.

(You know if someone tried that today Disney would sue them in a heartbeat).

- B

Scott M. Kozel

Apr 17, 2007, 4:28:51 PM4/17/07
Rothman <dnr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone brought up Alexandia, VA's street names?
>
> Duke St, Prince St, King St, Queen St, but Cameron St is between Queen
> and King...

My parents lived on one of those streets 1971-1986.

That would be in Old Town Alexandria. Those streets were laid out,
named and populated back in the 1700s, and as far as I know, while each
name has a specific root, the overall pattern is not a "succession".

Water (now Lee), Fairfax, and Royal Streets were laid out in a
north/south orientation. Fairfax was named for Thomas, sixth Lord
Fairfax and Baron of Cameron, proprietor of the Northern Neck of
Virginia. Duke, Prince, King, Cameron (also named for Lord Fairfax),
Queen, Princess, and Oronoco Streets run east and west. Oronoco, a
variety of tobacco, was transported to the area's first warehouses at
the foot of this street, giving it its name. Pitt Street was named for
a British prime minister, and St. Asaph for a Welsh bishop who
sympathized with the colonies. Wolfe Street was named for the general
who captured Quebec, Wilkes Street for an Englishman who worked for
liberty, and Gibbon Street for a writer of history. Columbus and Alfred
were named after members of the Alexander family. Patrick and Henry
Streets honor the Virginia patriot who said, "Give me liberty or give me
death." Fayette was named for General Lafayette. Washington and Lee
streets were named later to honor these famous Virginians.

http://alexandriava.gov/city/about-alexandria/about.html

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

laura halliday

Apr 17, 2007, 4:48:36 PM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 5:20 pm, "k_fl...@lycos.com" <k_fl...@lycos.com> wrote:
> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
>
> Seems like most cities have Higher Ed portions of the grid (In Denver
> we have a portion of the "southern latitude" of E-W avenues named for
> esteemed institutions of higher learning, and somehow my alma mater
> slipped in); many have state sections (Again, in Denver, I think
> something like 46 or 48 states show up somehow on our street grid);
> Most cities have a presidential theme in there, with at least a
> Washington Street or Lincoln Street (Denver has Adams, Jefferson,
> Madison, Monroe, "Quincy" - not sure it's for JQA, Jackson, and on and
> on); trees trees trees (as if to memorialize cutting them all down -
> Denver has a section east of Colorado Boulevard in which trees or some
> type of flora are represented on N-S streets in alphabetical order,
> interspersed with a neutral name beginning with the same letter:
> Albion, Ash, Bellaire, Birch, Clermont, Cherry, Dexter, Dahlia, etc.).
> We even have a Civil War themed section of Lincoln-Sherman-Grant
> bracketing our state Capitol.
>
> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

I've heard that the tree streets in Vancouver (Fir, Oak, Pine,
etc.) were supposed to be in alphabetical order, but some-
body dropped the file and didn't re-sort it. Cedar Street
disappeared with the completion of the Burrard Street bridge,
when it became Burrard Street south of False Creek.

Others: the province streets (Alberta, Manitoba, etc.), the
battle streets (Waterloo, Trafalgar, etc.). The B.C. towns
streets show what towns were important at the time, but
are not necessarily important now: there is a Kaslo Street,
for example, but no Kelowna Street.

The award for Most Bizarre Street Grid has to go to our
neighbours to the south in Bellingham, Washington.
Bellingham was assembled from 4 separate towns,
each with its own street grid. The result, 100-odd years
later, borders on chaos...

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

The Chief Instigator

Apr 17, 2007, 5:50:20 PM4/17/07
larry_s...@yahoo.com writes:

The Brazoria County (Houston metro) suburb of Lake Jackson has a This Way and
That Way, which meet at Center Way...and Any Way, which heads north from the
Texas 288 interchange with FM 332/Oyster Creek Road, and ends at That Way.
(This is basically east of 288 from FM 2004 southward a couple of miles,
though This Way starts at FM 2004 about a mile west of 288.)

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Houston, Texas
chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2006-07 Houston Aeros) AA#2273

Scott Nuzum

Apr 17, 2007, 8:04:46 PM4/17/07

<k_f...@lycos.com> wrote in message
Whups. I only replied to Kevin when I meant to reply to the group.

Anyway, what I was saying was that Fort Smith, Ark., goes though the
alphabet from north to south at least twice and probably more. AR-251 just
happens to run on Zero Street.

S.E.N.
You'd think "Zero" would be the street before *First*. =o)

H.B. Elkins

Apr 17, 2007, 9:59:03 PM4/17/07
On 16 Apr 2007 17:20:48 -0700, k_f...@lycos.com wrote:

>Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

Winchester, Ky. has an area with streets named for snack foods.

Frito Lane, Oreo Drive, Apple Street, Kiwi Drive, Pear Court, Banana Drive,
Berry Court.

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

Premier Bush

Apr 17, 2007, 10:03:16 PM4/17/07
Scott Nuzum wrote:

> Anyway, what I was saying was that Fort Smith, Ark., goes though the
> alphabet from north to south at least twice and probably more. AR-251
> just happens to run on Zero Street.

I'm being anal, but it's AR 255, formerly AR 59. I think it might have been
TRUCK 22 at one time (Dave?)

Nathan Perry

Apr 17, 2007, 10:35:00 PM4/17/07
In article <1176822039.3...@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
Rothman <dnr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone brought up Alexandia, VA's street names?
>
> Duke St, Prince St, King St, Queen St, but Cameron St is between Queen
> and King...

Lancaster, PA has the same set of names (well, except Cameron). It also
has fruit tree names: Walnut St., Lemon St., Orange St. etc.

Scott Wood

Apr 17, 2007, 11:45:34 PM4/17/07
On 17 Apr 2007 13:48:36 -0700, laura halliday <mars...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The award for Most Bizarre Street Grid has to go to our
> neighbours to the south in Bellingham, Washington.
> Bellingham was assembled from 4 separate towns,
> each with its own street grid. The result, 100-odd years
> later, borders on chaos...

Doesn't look any worse than the assortment of grid systems in
Pittsburgh...

-Scott

Paul DeRocco

Apr 18, 2007, 12:52:26 AM4/18/07
> "Craig Holl" <craigh...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote
> Greendale, WI (south suburb of Milwaukee) puts their streets in groupings
> by first letter. Apricot, Arbutus, Azalea, Arrowwood, Angle, Apple, Alba,
> Acorn, Avena. Etc.
>
> http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=42.941596,-87.990489&spn=0.022054,0.039911&om=1

There's a really strange place near Carrizo Plain Nat'l Monument in CA

http://tinyurl.com/3ad5b2

Its streets are also grouped into areas beginning with the same letter. The
strange thing is, as you can see from the sat imagery, it's an unbuilt
development where the roads are just scratches in the dirt.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Paul DeRocco

Apr 18, 2007, 12:59:16 AM4/18/07
> "laura halliday" <mars...@hotmail.com> wrote

> The award for Most Bizarre Street Grid has to go to our
> neighbours to the south in Bellingham, Washington.
> Bellingham was assembled from 4 separate towns,
> each with its own street grid. The result, 100-odd years
> later, borders on chaos...

L.A. and Santa Monica have state-named streets where they meet, but about
half of them change names (Colorado/Idaho, Pennsylvania/Iowa, Arizona/Texas)
at the boundary.

B.Schultz

Apr 18, 2007, 1:58:18 AM4/18/07
On Apr 17, 11:59 pm, "Paul DeRocco" <pdero...@adelphia.net> wrote:
> > "laura halliday" <marsga...@hotmail.com> wrote
> Paul mailto:pdero...@ix.netcom.com

In Minneapolis (and some western suburbs), the streets go from A-Z
many, many times as one goes westward, and certain streets are grouped
together by themes (Flag, then Gettysburg).

Rothman

Apr 18, 2007, 7:40:57 AM4/18/07
On Apr 17, 4:28 pm, "Scott M. Kozel" <koze...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C.http://www.roadstothefuture.com

> Capital Beltway Projects http://www.capital-beltway.com
> Philadelphia and Delaware Valley http://www.pennways.com

But for some reason, Cameron comes between the King and Queen...sounds
like a good ol' British royal scandal.

ChoralScholar

Apr 18, 2007, 7:42:42 AM4/18/07
Russellville, Arkansas has this theme.

Streets north of US64 are named by letter (A street, B street, etc.)
Streets south of US64 are named by number (1st street, 2nd street,
etc)
Avenues east of AR-7 (Which is Arkansas Ave.) are named for cities
east of the Miss. River
(Arkansas, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Erie, Frankfort,
Greenwich, Hampton, Ithaca, Jackson, etc.)
Avenues west of AR-7 are named for cities west of the Miss. River
(Arkansas, Boulder, Commerce, Denver, El Paso, Fargo,
Glenwood, Houston, Independence, Jonesboro, etc.)

Scott M. Kozel

Apr 18, 2007, 7:43:06 PM4/18/07
Rothman <dnr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Scott M. Kozel" <koze...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > My parents lived on one of those streets 1971-1986.
> >
> > That would be in Old Town Alexandria. Those streets were laid out,
> > named and populated back in the 1700s, and as far as I know, while each
> > name has a specific root, the overall pattern is not a "succession".
>
> But for some reason, Cameron comes between the King and Queen...sounds
> like a good ol' British royal scandal.

We lived 2 blocks from those streets, and can assure you that there was
no 'hidden message' in the succession.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites

Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

Rothman

Apr 18, 2007, 8:21:43 PM4/18/07
On Apr 18, 6:43 pm, "Scott M. Kozel" <koze...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Rothman <dnro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Scott M. Kozel" <koze...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > > My parents lived on one of those streets 1971-1986.
>
> > > That would be in Old Town Alexandria. Those streets were laid out,
> > > named and populated back in the 1700s, and as far as I know, while each
> > > name has a specific root, the overall pattern is not a "succession".
>
> > But for some reason, Cameron comes between the King and Queen...sounds
> > like a good ol' British royal scandal.
>
> We lived 2 blocks from those streets, and can assure you that there was
> no 'hidden message' in the succession.

Don't be such a Puritan. They're from further north.

Wonder what business Cameron had with the Queen Mum...

KoHoSo

Apr 19, 2007, 7:54:01 AM4/19/07
"Craig Holl" <craigh...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in

> k_f...@lycos.com wrote:
>> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
>> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
>>

>> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?
>

> Greendale, WI (south suburb of Milwaukee) puts their streets in
> groupings by first letter. Apricot, Arbutus, Azalea, Arrowwood,
> Angle, Apple, Alba, Acorn, Avena. Etc.
>
> http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=42.941596,-87.990489&spn=0.0220
> 54,0.039911&om=1

Rohnert Park, California (a suburb of Santa Rosa) also has such a grouping
by letters of the alphabet in some residential parts of the city. They are
actually referred to in the area as section names -- the A Section, B
Section...

If any of you are at all familiar with medical terminology...I would feel
really uncomfortable telling people that I lived in the C Section. :)

Jon Enslin

Apr 19, 2007, 10:23:20 AM4/19/07
On Apr 16, 9:51 pm, Free Lunch <l...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:39:11 -0500, in misc.transport.road
> "Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in
> <s72dnc26JtLVrrnbnZ2dnUVZ_gOdn...@athenet.net>:
>

> >Free Lunch wrote:
> >> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:35:46 -0500, in misc.transport.road

> >> Not to be picky, but it was named after the signers of the
> >> _Constitution_.
>
> >I knew it was one of the two and both documents have signers in common.
>
> You are right, there were many duplicates, but they put up new
> commemorative street signs in the late '80s for the bicentennial of the
> Constitution, and there are a few ringers in the downtown: State, Main,
> Doty, Wisconsin, MLK Jr which used to be Monona, not to be confused with
> the other King Street a block away which was named after Rufus King, a
> signer

I am fairly certain, since I was living in Madison at the time, that
MLK Blvd. was actually Wisconsin Avenue - not Monona Avenue.

Jon

larry_s...@yahoo.com

Apr 19, 2007, 11:46:48 AM4/19/07
On Apr 17, 9:52 pm, "Paul DeRocco" <pdero...@adelphia.net> wrote:
> > "Craig Holl" <craigholl2...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote

> > Greendale, WI (south suburb of Milwaukee) puts their streets in groupings
> > by first letter. Apricot, Arbutus, Azalea, Arrowwood, Angle, Apple, Alba,
> > Acorn, Avena. Etc.
>
> >http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=42.941596,-87.990489&spn=0.02...

> There's a really strange place near Carrizo Plain Nat'l Monument in CA
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ad5b2
>
> Its streets are also grouped into areas beginning with the same letter. The
> strange thing is, as you can see from the sat imagery, it's an unbuilt
> development where the roads are just scratches in the dirt.
>
> --
>
> Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
> Paul mailto:pdero...@ix.netcom.com

By the way, Soda Lake Road is a marvelous drive through the Carrizo
Plain National Monument; it's about 50 miles long with 15-20 miles
unpaved in the middle; however, it's high quality dirt, where speeds
of 50+ are safe. Much of the road follows right along the San Andreas
fault, through the section that ruptured in the Fort Tejon earthquake
of 1857.

larry_s...@yahoo.com

Apr 19, 2007, 11:49:06 AM4/19/07
On Apr 17, 9:59 pm, "Paul DeRocco" <pdero...@adelphia.net> wrote:
> > "laura halliday" <marsga...@hotmail.com> wrote
> Paul mailto:pdero...@ix.netcom.com

Santa Monica has another anomaly that might amuse our friends, Euclid
Street. They have a series of numbered streets that skips 13th
Street, but has Euclid Street between 12th Street and 14th Street.

larry_s...@yahoo.com

Apr 19, 2007, 11:52:50 AM4/19/07
On Apr 19, 8:49 am, larry_scholn...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Santa Monica has another anomaly that might amuse our friends, Euclid
> Street. They have a series of numbered streets that skips 13th
> Street, but has Euclid Street between 12th Street and 14th Street.

Bakersfield has a similarly amusing anomaly in their lettered street
grid:

H Street
Eye Street
J Street

Kurumi

Apr 19, 2007, 12:41:36 PM4/19/07
On Apr 16, 5:20 pm, "k_fl...@lycos.com" <k_fl...@lycos.com> wrote:

> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

Sunnyvale, CA has a series of major and minor streets named Mathilda,
Maude, Evelyn, Mary, Olive... theme? Great grandmothers' names, as far
as I can tell.

For the devout, Sunnyvale offers both Mary Avenue and Maria Lane.

There's also "Birdland", a residential area where north-south streets
are birds, and east-west streets are place names in the UK.

Rothman

Apr 19, 2007, 1:01:42 PM4/19/07

I thought Washington, DC's I Street was referred to as Eye Street
colloquially, if not officially.

Free Lunch

Apr 19, 2007, 6:34:51 PM4/19/07
On 19 Apr 2007 07:23:20 -0700, in misc.transport.road
Jon Enslin <jen...@charter.net> wrote in
<1176992600.8...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>:

No, Wisconsin is the one that goes from the Capitol to Langdon. Monona
was the one in front of the City-County Building.

Paul DeRocco

Apr 20, 2007, 12:01:10 AM4/20/07
> <larry_s...@yahoo.com> wrote

> Santa Monica has another anomaly that might amuse our friends, Euclid
> Street. They have a series of numbered streets that skips 13th
> Street, but has Euclid Street between 12th Street and 14th Street.

Yeah, I was on it a few hours ago. I wonder if it's the usual superstition,
or just an historical accident. After all, 8th is called Lincoln, and 1st is
called Ocean.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Ze Ace

Apr 20, 2007, 1:27:14 AM4/20/07
On Apr 19, 9:41 am, Kurumi <sxott.ogle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 5:20 pm, "k_fl...@lycos.com" <k_fl...@lycos.com> wrote:
>
> > Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?
>
> Sunnyvale, CA has a series of major and minor streets named Mathilda,
> Maude, Evelyn, Mary, Olive... theme? Great grandmothers' names, as far
> as I can tell.

New roads in Silicon Valley tend to get "high-tech" names: Java Dr.,
Component Dr., Innovation (multiple), Research Dr., Technology Dr.,
Logic Dr.

That doesn't include the public roads named after the big companies on
them: Cisco Way, Memorex Dr., Lockheed Martin Way.

Jon Enslin

Apr 20, 2007, 8:53:08 AM4/20/07
On Apr 19, 5:34 pm, Free Lunch <l...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2007 07:23:20 -0700, in misc.transport.road
> Jon Enslin <jens...@charter.net> wrote in
> <1176992600.854603.109...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>:

I am fairly certain Wisconsin Ave. was on both sides of the square
like Washington Ave. and Hamilton.

Here is a very old map that shows this:

http://tinyurl.com/2wr77y

Jon

John Mayson

Apr 20, 2007, 10:58:50 AM4/20/07
> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

I don't know if this has been covered. Austin's north-south streets
are named after the rivers in Texas. The westernmost street is Rio
Grande and the easternmost is Red River.

I lived in a neighborhood in Hurst, Texas where the developer named
the streets after his daughters. We lived on Whitney Way.

The Chief Instigator

Apr 20, 2007, 1:08:03 PM4/20/07
John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us> writes:

>> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?
>
>I don't know if this has been covered. Austin's north-south streets
>are named after the rivers in Texas. The westernmost street is Rio
>Grande and the easternmost is Red River.

At least downtown (south of 15th, anyway) they correctly put Sabine Street
east of Red River, though Neches should be east of Red River as well.

Gary V

Apr 20, 2007, 2:21:24 PM4/20/07
In Madison Heights, MI, there was a small old subdivision which has
since been replaced by a Meijer store. (The residents all wanted to
sell because they were not hooked up to the sewer system and there
were deficiencies in the septic systems; it took quite something to
get the City to allow the rezoning.) The streets were named Frank,
Lloyd and Wright.

Free Lunch

Apr 20, 2007, 7:25:20 PM4/20/07
On 20 Apr 2007 05:53:08 -0700, in misc.transport.road
Jon Enslin <jen...@charter.net> wrote in
<1177073588.3...@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>:

Not any time recently.

>Here is a very old map that shows this:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2wr77y

I don't know whent the two blocks were renamed Monona Ave.

Jon Enslin

Apr 20, 2007, 8:55:24 PM4/20/07
On Apr 20, 6:25 pm, Free Lunch <l...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2007 05:53:08 -0700, in misc.transport.road
> Jon Enslin <jens...@charter.net> wrote in
> <1177073588.345734.159...@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>:

http://tinyurl.com/yv9thl

You're right.

Jon

Paul DeRocco

Apr 20, 2007, 11:19:41 PM4/20/07
> "John Mayson" <jo...@mayson.us> wrote

> I lived in a neighborhood in Hurst, Texas where the developer named
> the streets after his daughters. We lived on Whitney Way.

That's _very_ common back East. I grew up in Bridgewater, MA, and it's full
of cul-de-sac streets with names like Robin Rd., Staci Dr., Jennifer Cir.,
Vera Dr., Harriet Dr., Patricia Dr., and so on. My partner and I did Brianne
Pl. and Gloria Dr. I don't see a lot of names like Robert Rd. or Henry Pl.,
though.

Frankly, I prefer the old-fashioned Maple St., Hill St., Pleasant St., etc.

John Mara

Apr 21, 2007, 1:24:59 PM4/21/07
Paul DeRocco wrote:

> Frankly, I prefer the old-fashioned Maple St., Hill St., Pleasant St., etc.

Pleasant Street is rarely a pleasant street and the prospects are
usually dim on Prospect Street.

--
John Mara

Rothman

Apr 21, 2007, 1:46:54 PM4/21/07

Pleasant Street is pleasant in Amherst, MA. Prospect St, not so much.

Jake Brzeskiewicz

Apr 21, 2007, 8:07:52 PM4/21/07
On Apr 20, 9:58 am, John Mayson <j...@mayson.us> wrote:

> I lived in a neighborhood in Hurst, Texas where the developer named
> the streets after his daughters. We lived on Whitney Way.

In my line of work, I've seen this kind of thing plenty of times. And
there always seems to be a predilection towards naming them after the
daughters. That is to say, you'll see girl names more than boy names
at about a 3:2 ratio, I'd say.

Where I went to school in Eau Claire, WI, there's a post-war
subdivision on the south side of the city where the north-south
streets are named after World War II generals and east-west streets
are named after 19th Century Presidents.

Presidents are a popular naming convention in older areas of cities,
but I rarely see it in new subdivisions. And if I do, they sound like
they were named in the 60's because the Presidential surnames always
seem to bottom out at Kennedy. Maybe someone else knows of a newer
subdivision with streets named implicitly after any of the last half
dozen presidents? Sure there's plenty of Clinton's, Bush's,
Johnson's, Carter's and even a few Nixons, but they always seem to pre-
date those presidents or are referring to a different person. And
while there are a number of institutions and a couple highways named
after Reagan, I've yet to encounter his name in a newer subdivision.
(And I've mapped out some significantly Red areas to date.) Anybody
know of any exceptions to any of this?

Free Lunch

Apr 21, 2007, 9:04:37 PM4/21/07
On 20 Apr 2007 07:58:50 -0700, in misc.transport.road
John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us> wrote in
<1177081130....@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>:

In Madison, Wisconsin, that's a NS arterial. Its name apparently has
nothing to do with anything around it.

Mayer Samuels

Apr 22, 2007, 6:54:27 AM4/22/07
On Apr 21, 8:07 pm, Jake Brzeskiewicz <triplemultip...@walla.com>
wrote:

Take a look at New Square, NY. New Square is a Hassidic community in
Rockland County. They purposefully name their streets after U.S.
presidents in order to show appreciation to the country. Most of the
streets are fairly short. They don't have enough streets to name
after all the presidents, but the later presidents are heavily over-
represented.

Rich Piehl

Apr 22, 2007, 8:01:05 AM4/22/07
k_f...@lycos.com wrote:
> In looking through the city/state street-name thread, I saw folks
> posting on what themes exist for sets of streets in their cities.
>
> Seems like most cities have Higher Ed portions of the grid (In Denver
> we have a portion of the "southern latitude" of E-W avenues named for
> esteemed institutions of higher learning, and somehow my alma mater
> slipped in); many have state sections (Again, in Denver, I think
> something like 46 or 48 states show up somehow on our street grid);
> Most cities have a presidential theme in there, with at least a
> Washington Street or Lincoln Street (Denver has Adams, Jefferson,
> Madison, Monroe, "Quincy" - not sure it's for JQA, Jackson, and on and
> on); trees trees trees (as if to memorialize cutting them all down -
> Denver has a section east of Colorado Boulevard in which trees or some
> type of flora are represented on N-S streets in alphabetical order,
> interspersed with a neutral name beginning with the same letter:
> Albion, Ash, Bellaire, Birch, Clermont, Cherry, Dexter, Dahlia, etc.).
> We even have a Civil War themed section of Lincoln-Sherman-Grant
> bracketing our state Capitol.
>
> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?

I'll contribute my 2 cents to this thread...

In south St. Louis County there is a subdivision with bee oriented names
that I always figured to be close to the top of the goofy name theme
list. Streets like

Queen Bee Drive
Bee Hive Lane
Yellow Jacket Court
Stinger Court

And a few others

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA

--
Et in terra pax

Archie Leach

Apr 22, 2007, 9:51:10 AM4/22/07
Jon Enslin <jen...@charter.net> wrote:

Heh. Anybody can fake a web page.

Free Lunch

Apr 22, 2007, 10:31:55 AM4/22/07
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:51:10 -0500, in misc.transport.road
Archie Leach <archie@s.s> wrote in
<h0qm23hrtliibmo34...@4ax.com>:

Sure, but I've seen that map before. This map was just the developer's
empty promises. Neither the canal nor the diagonals that lead into East
Washington at the east edge of the map were ever built, nor were the
streets on the west laid out quite like the map promised.

Jon Enslin

Apr 22, 2007, 10:49:15 AM4/22/07
On Apr 22, 8:51 am, Archie Leach <arc...@s.s> wrote:

Obsession is never pretty.

Jon

Archie Leach

Apr 22, 2007, 4:05:23 PM4/22/07
Jon Enslin <jen...@charter.net> wrote:

Unfortunately, this is rong. Please listen to what I'm saying.

($2)

John Mayson

Apr 23, 2007, 3:12:54 PM4/23/07
> Presidents are a popular naming convention in older areas of cities,
> but I rarely see it in new subdivisions. And if I do, they sound like
> they were named in the 60's because the Presidential surnames always
> seem to bottom out at Kennedy. Maybe someone else knows of a newer
> subdivision with streets named implicitly after any of the last half
> dozen presidents? Sure there's plenty of Clinton's, Bush's,
> Johnson's, Carter's and even a few Nixons, but they always seem to pre-
> date those presidents or are referring to a different person. And
> while there are a number of institutions and a couple highways named
> after Reagan, I've yet to encounter his name in a newer subdivision.
> (And I've mapped out some significantly Red areas to date.) Anybody
> know of any exceptions to any of this?

There's a Jimmy Carter Blvd in Gwinnett County, GA. There's also a
Ronald Reagan Parkway (I think it's a parkway) in the same area.
Richardson, TX has a President George Bush Highway. But I can't think
of any residential or "common" surface streets named after presidents.

Perhaps public opinion about presidents changed after Kennedy? There
used to be respect for the office of president, even if you didn't
like the man who held the office. If they were to rename my street
after Bush, half my neighbors would leave. Rename it after Clinton
and the other half would leave. But no one would object to renaming
it after, say, Lincoln or Truman.

John

John Mayson

Apr 23, 2007, 3:14:26 PM4/23/07
On Apr 20, 12:08 pm, The Chief Instigator <patr...@eris.io.com> wrote:

> John Mayson <j...@mayson.us> writes:
> >> Caused me to wonder what are some of the odder themes?
>
> >I don't know if this has been covered. Austin's north-south streets
> >are named after the rivers in Texas. The westernmost street is Rio
> >Grande and the easternmost is Red River.

Yeah, that's what I meant. :-P

(I'm a rusty roadgeek.)

John

The Chief Instigator

Apr 23, 2007, 6:11:33 PM4/23/07
John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us> writes:

I know that feeling, when it applies to Tulsa and Sioux Falls...

Premier Bush

Apr 24, 2007, 3:52:44 AM4/24/07
John Mayson wrote:
>> Presidents are a popular naming convention in older areas of cities,
>> but I rarely see it in new subdivisions. And if I do, they sound
>> like they were named in the 60's because the Presidential surnames
>> always seem to bottom out at Kennedy. Maybe someone else knows of a
>> newer subdivision with streets named implicitly after any of the
>> last half dozen presidents? Sure there's plenty of Clinton's,
>> Bush's, Johnson's, Carter's and even a few Nixons, but they always
>> seem to pre- date those presidents or are referring to a different
>> person. And while there are a number of institutions and a couple
>> highways named after Reagan, I've yet to encounter his name in a
>> newer subdivision. (And I've mapped out some significantly Red areas
>> to date.) Anybody know of any exceptions to any of this?
>
> There's a Jimmy Carter Blvd in Gwinnett County, GA. There's also a
> Ronald Reagan Parkway (I think it's a parkway) in the same area.
> Richardson, TX has a President George Bush Highway. But I can't think
> of any residential or "common" surface streets named after presidents.

There's a Bill Clinton Dr (AR 29) in (surprise!) Hope, AR.

There is also a President Clinton Avenue in Little Rock. It used to be part
of Markham Ave.

> Perhaps public opinion about presidents changed after Kennedy? There
> used to be respect for the office of president, even if you didn't
> like the man who held the office. If they were to rename my street
> after Bush, half my neighbors would leave. Rename it after Clinton
> and the other half would leave. But no one would object to renaming
> it after, say, Lincoln or Truman.

Kennedy was the last truly good President. Maybe that's why.

Rothman

Apr 24, 2007, 7:39:41 AM4/24/07
> Kennedy was the last truly good President. Maybe that's why.- Hide quoted text -

Actually, my father says Nixon is his favorite president. His lottery
number came up and Nixon ceased the draft, keeping him from going to
Vietnam.

John Mayson

Apr 24, 2007, 9:32:33 AM4/24/07
On Apr 23, 5:11 pm, The Chief Instigator <patr...@eris.io.com> wrote:
> I know that feeling, when it applies to Tulsa and Sioux Falls...

But you have an excuse, you don't live in either city. I live in
Austin and can't remember the names of half the streets in my own
neighborhood.

It's hell getting old!

--
John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us>
Austin, Texas, USA

The Chief Instigator

Apr 24, 2007, 9:45:59 AM4/24/07
John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us> writes:

>On Apr 23, 5:11 pm, The Chief Instigator <patr...@eris.io.com> wrote:
>> I know that feeling, when it applies to Tulsa and Sioux Falls...

>But you have an excuse, you don't live in either city. I live in
>Austin and can't remember the names of half the streets in my own
>neighborhood.

I've lived in the former city (Dale spent a decade or so in the latter), even
if that was 40_ years ago.

>It's hell getting old!

SUBSCRIBE! ;-)

Gary E. Ansok

Apr 24, 2007, 11:48:44 AM4/24/07
In article <1177355574.6...@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us> wrote:
>There's a Jimmy Carter Blvd in Gwinnett County, GA. There's also a
>Ronald Reagan Parkway (I think it's a parkway) in the same area.
>Richardson, TX has a President George Bush Highway. But I can't think
>of any residential or "common" surface streets named after presidents.

(drifting the topic a little further...)

When did it become common to use a person's full name when naming
a street after him (or her)?

Did it start with streets named "Martin Luther King, Junior, Boulevard"?

Of course, in many cases (especially MLK) the last name alone does
not evoke any specific images or history (or not the desired ones),
and there can also be cases where the city already has a street
with the person's last name (also fairly common with MLK).

Gary
--
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.

The Chief Instigator

Apr 24, 2007, 12:23:09 PM4/24/07
an...@alumni.caltech.edu (Gary E. Ansok) writes:

>In article <1177355574.6...@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us> wrote:
>>There's a Jimmy Carter Blvd in Gwinnett County, GA. There's also a
>>Ronald Reagan Parkway (I think it's a parkway) in the same area.
>>Richardson, TX has a President George Bush Highway. But I can't think
>>of any residential or "common" surface streets named after presidents.

>(drifting the topic a little further...)

>When did it become common to use a person's full name when naming
>a street after him (or her)?

>Did it start with streets named "Martin Luther King, Junior, Boulevard"?

That's been my experience, albeit just in Houston (where I've lived since
1965).

>Of course, in many cases (especially MLK) the last name alone does
>not evoke any specific images or history (or not the desired ones),
>and there can also be cases where the city already has a street
>with the person's last name (also fairly common with MLK).

One of the amusing things about MLK in Houston is its former name - South
Park. (That was a bit before Matt & Trey took their idea to Comedy Central.)

John Mayson

Apr 24, 2007, 11:56:03 AM4/24/07
Gary E. Ansok wrote:
> When did it become common to use a person's full name when naming
> a street after him (or her)?
>
> Did it start with streets named "Martin Luther King, Junior, Boulevard"?
>
> Of course, in many cases (especially MLK) the last name alone does
> not evoke any specific images or history (or not the desired ones),
> and there can also be cases where the city already has a street
> with the person's last name (also fairly common with MLK).

I lived in Atlanta during the late 80's/early 90's and that road was
known simply as "MLK". I returned to Florida in 1992. I had grown up
in Tampa and during my absence (some time between 1986 and 1992) they
had renamed Buffalo Avenue to "Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd".
And that's how the news media said it, even in traffic reports. No one
seemed to shorten it to "MLK". I just assumed the media perceived it
wasn't politically correct to use any other form of his name, even
though no one in Atlanta gave a second thought to saying "MLK".

John Mayson

Apr 24, 2007, 11:18:52 AM4/24/07
The Chief Instigator wrote:
> John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us> writes:
>
>> On Apr 23, 5:11 pm, The Chief Instigator <patr...@eris.io.com> wrote:
>> But you have an excuse, you don't live in either city. I live in
>> Austin and can't remember the names of half the streets in my own
>> neighborhood.
>
> I've lived in the former city (Dale spent a decade or so in the latter), even
> if that was 40_ years ago.

I can't remember 40 years ago. Probably has something to do with the
fact I'm still in my 30's. :-P

>> It's hell getting old!
>
> SUBSCRIBE! ;-)

Back in my day we didn't have to subscribe. And we liked it!

The Chief Instigator

Apr 24, 2007, 6:25:22 PM4/24/07
John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us> writes:

Houston's experience pretty much mirrors Atlanta's - full name on the signage
(minus the "Rev. Dr." and "Jr."), but everyone calls it MLK...

The Chief Instigator

Apr 24, 2007, 6:45:49 PM4/24/07
John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us> writes:

>> SUBSCRIBE! ;-)

These kids...go figure. (It beats having to watch everything in black and
white. ;-)

Scott Nuzum

Apr 24, 2007, 8:08:05 PM4/24/07
I probably misread the map. I was looking to make sure where Zero Street
was.

"Premier Bush" <watuzi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Scott Nuzum wrote:
>
>> Anyway, what I was saying was that Fort Smith, Ark., goes though the
>> alphabet from north to south at least twice and probably more. AR-251
>> just happens to run on Zero Street.
>
> I'm being anal, but it's AR 255, formerly AR 59. I think it might have
> been TRUCK 22 at one time (Dave?)

John Mayson

Apr 24, 2007, 8:47:10 PM4/24/07
Has anyone else noticed that the shortest streets seem to have the
longest names making them a real ^#$@! to find them on a map?

Mike McManus

Apr 25, 2007, 12:24:04 AM4/25/07
Paul DeRocco wrote:
>> "John Mayson" <jo...@mayson.us> wrote

>> I lived in a neighborhood in Hurst, Texas where the developer named
>> the streets after his daughters. We lived on Whitney Way.
>
> That's _very_ common back East. I grew up in Bridgewater, MA, and it's full
> of cul-de-sac streets with names like Robin Rd., Staci Dr., Jennifer Cir.,
> Vera Dr., Harriet Dr., Patricia Dr., and so on. My partner and I did Brianne
> Pl. and Gloria Dr. I don't see a lot of names like Robert Rd. or Henry Pl.,
> though.

In the subdivision behind the house where I grew up just outside
Cincinnati, there was a Don Ln., Bob Dr., and Marge Pl.

Incidentally, there were no houses on Marge Pl., but there was a garage
from which a general contractor -- perhaps Don or Bob himself -- ran his
business.

The Pacific Northwest can be boring, almost all the residential streets
are numbered on a county-wide grid rather than named. Although it is
kind of funny driving out into the farther reaches of the county and
finding the intersection of 700-and-some-odd Avenue NE at NE
300-and-some-odd Street.

Downtown Seattle is another matter as the streets are named (possibly
because they are at non-right angles with the county grid). The names
are laid out in pairs that begin with the same letter: Jefferson, James,
Cherry, Columbia, Marion, Madison, Spring, Seneca, University, Union,
Pike, Pine. The mnemonic to use for remembering these (southeast to
northwest) goes: Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Protest. ;-)
--
Mike McManus, Renton, WA

Paul DeRocco

Apr 26, 2007, 2:46:54 AM4/26/07
> "Mike McManus" <mcma...@comcast.net> wrote

> Downtown Seattle is another matter as the streets are named (possibly
> because they are at non-right angles with the county grid). The names are
> laid out in pairs that begin with the same letter: Jefferson, James,
> Cherry, Columbia, Marion, Madison, Spring, Seneca, University, Union,
> Pike, Pine. The mnemonic to use for remembering these (southeast to
> northwest) goes: Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Protest. ;-)

I've driven (and walked, and skated) through downtown many times, but never
noticed the pairing.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Jake Brzeskiewicz

Apr 26, 2007, 9:17:43 AM4/26/07
On Apr 24, 7:47 pm, John Mayson <j...@mayson.us> wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed that the shortest streets seem to have the
> longest names making them a real ^#$@! to find them on a map?

Find them? You should try labelling short streets with long names
some time. That's some fun times, right there.

Rothman

Apr 26, 2007, 12:28:43 PM4/26/07
On Apr 26, 9:17 am, Jake Brzeskiewicz <triplemultip...@walla.com>
wrote:

Crackerbarrell Alley, Northampton, MA

Rich Piehl

Apr 26, 2007, 1:01:25 PM4/26/07

One map maker for our area just puts numbers by the street and then in
an open spot on the map puts a table with the list of numbers and the
street name. Although, depending how developed the area is, sometimes
it can be a little tough finding that table.

Jake Brzeskiewicz

Apr 26, 2007, 5:04:04 PM4/26/07
On Apr 26, 12:01 pm, Rich Piehl
<rpiehl5REMOVETHIS...@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote:

> One map maker for our area just puts numbers by the street and then in
> an open spot on the map puts a table with the list of numbers and the
> street name. Although, depending how developed the area is, sometimes
> it can be a little tough finding that table.

Yeah, we do that, too. Sometimes you have no choice but to make a
list.

There really ought to be a law that only cartographers can name
streets. Problem solved.

Scott Nuzum

Apr 26, 2007, 11:02:53 PM4/26/07

"Rothman" <dnr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Marblecrest Drive and Marblecrest Terrace, Fort Scott, KS. And they also
*both* curve, which I'm sure makes making that map even *more* fun.

S.E.N.
Not to mention the two streets here by a golf course that cross over each
other, then curve back to *end* at each other.

US 71

Apr 30, 2007, 5:58:12 PM4/30/07
Not a theme, but a bit different: United Flight 93 Drive in Marshall, TX I
can't find it on any maps, so it must be a private drive or a newly renamed
street.