My latest grand Road Trip

Sandor G

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
(And to think I could of been driving the same roads at the same time as
GCR)

Well, last Friday I went off on my yearly trip to see what is beyond Central
Ohio. This year's trip went to New England and Canada as I hoped to take
several items of my to do list in life.
Got more of the Lincoln Highway driven.
See the former homes of my parents
and drive Canada's version of the Great River Road ( The Route of the
Navigators)

I picked up 7 new states and 2 new provinces that I've never been in before
Countless Counties (I'll do a count later)
Countless pictures taken (though I'm crossing my fingers they'll develop.
I'll mention why in a moment)
Numerous highways driven.

The route taken (line breaks identify where I stopped driving for the day)
Local roads south to US 36/Oh 37 west to Flying J
East on US 36/Oh 37 to Sunbury
(South)East on Oh 37 to Granville
Oh 37/16 around Granville
South on OH 37 to I-70
I-70 east to exit 204 (retake pictures of the Old US 40 dead end)
East on US 40 to Oh 149 to I-70
I-70 east to exit 220 (Retake pictures of Blane bridge)
US 40 east to Wheeling.
I-70 east to New Stanton
US 119 north to US 30 bypass of Greensburg
US 30 east to Bedford
US 220 north to PA Turnpike interchange (No, it's still not I-99 south of
the Turnpike)
PA Turnpike east to Valley Forge interchange
I-76 east to South St.
South St. east to 6th St.

Some street west to Broad St.
Broad St (PA 611) north to Roosevelt Blvd (US 1)
US 1 north to BR 1
Back on US 1 into Trenton to US 206
US 206 north to NJ 27
NJ 27 north to I-287
I-287 west to Secondary NJ 527
Secondary NJ 527 east back to NJ 27
NJ 27 north to Newark
Through Newark to I-280
I-280 east to I-95
I-95 north to NJ 495
NJ 495 east into Manhattan
42nd St east to Avenue of the Americans
Avenue of the Americans north to 57th St
57th St west to NY 9A
NY 9A north to I-95
I-95 north to Hutchinson River Pkwy
Hutchinson into the Merritt Pkwy (Con 15)
Cn 15 east(?) to Cn 34
Cn 34 east to I-95
I-95 *north* to exit 55

I-95 *north* to I-295 (south of Providence)
I-295 north and east to I-95
I-95 north to Mass 135
Mass 135 west to Mass 16
Mass 16 NE to I-95
I-95 north to I-93
I-93 north to I-89
I-89 north to I-189
I-189 west to US 7

I-189 east to I-89
I-89 north to US 2/US 7
US 2/US 7 north to Ver 127
Ver 127 west to Mallets Bay and back to US 2/ US 7
US 2/ US 7 south to I-89
I-89 south to Vt 15
Vt 15 east to Underhill, Vt.
un-numbered road south to US 2
US 2 west to I-89
I-89 south to Montpelier
US 2 east to I-91
I-91 south to I-93
I-93 south to Franconia Notch (and US 3)
I-93 south to NH 112
NH 112 east to NH 16/ US 302

NH 16 north to Mt. Washington auto road
NH 16 north to US 2
US 2 east to Maine 26
Me 26 SE to Me 11
Me 11 east to Auburn/Lewiston
I-495 north to I-95
I-95 north to US/Canada border
NB 95 east to NB 2
NB 2 north(west?) to Perth-Andover

NB 2 north(west?) to NB 17
NB 17 north to Tidehead
NB 11 west to Quebec
PQ 132 east to PQ 299
PQ 299 north to PQ 132 (Ste. Anne des Monts)
PQ 132 west to Riviere Du Loup

PQ 132 west to Autoroute 55
Autoroute 55 north to PQ 138
PQ 138 west to Autoroute 40
Autoroute 40 west to PQ 135
PQ 135 west to Montreal
Autoroute 20 west into Ontario
Ontario 401 west to On 138

On 138 north to On 401
On 401 west to Thousand Island Parkway
TIP west to Thousand Island Bridge
Thousand Island Bridge onto I-81
I-81 south to NY 13
NY 13 west to US 11
US 11 south to NY 3
NY 3 south to NY 104B
NY 104B west to NY 104
NY 104 west to NY 104 A
Ny 104 A south to Ny 104
NY 104 west to Sodus
North to Lake Rd
Lake Rd west to Irondequoit Bay
South to NY 404
NY 404 west to Goodman St (Rochester)
Goodman St. north to NY 104
NY 104 west to NY 18
NY 18 north to Lake Ontario Parkway
Lake Ontario Parkway west to NY 18
NY 18 west to NY 269
NY 269 south to unidentified road back to NY 18
NY 18 west to Robert Moses Parkway
RMP south to (the actual) Niagara Falls
RMP East to NY 265
NY 265 southeast to NY 425
NY 425 south to I-290
I-290 south to I-90
I-90 west to I-271
I-271 south to I-71
I-71 south to Oh 61
Oh 61 south to Morrow County Rd. 15
MC Rd 15 west to Middle-of-Nowhere Ohio

sites/comments/questions from my trip (in chronological order)

We now have 'Old St. 37' on the east side of Sunbury, Oh
At the intersection of OH 37 and Oh 605, You have a sign assembly that has
an ODOT north sign over a Delaware Co. Rd sign on what was Oh 605 heading NB
from Oh 37 (it was decommissioned so OH 750 could be extended from Oh 315 to
I-71)
Someone handwrote the word 'South' on a OH 661 shield. It was being used
for a detour routing, so I didn't take a picture of it
The control city for Oh 37, north of OH 16, is Columbus
There is alot of To Oh 161 signs on Oh 37/16
There's a billboard promoting something along Oh 40 (instead of using an US
shield)
Interchange work at I-70/Oh 37. Possible widening of Oh 37 over I-70
The distance to the Blane 'S' Bridge is 4.4 meters (according to someone)

There is a look out tower in Wheeling just off US 40 that gives you a great
view of Wheeling, but the site itself looks very Adma like (no one has done
any upkeep on it so there's plenty of graffiti)

What and why are strobe lights being incorporated into red lights in Western
PA (and NY state among other areas)
Saw a Ford Pickup with PA license plate Kitko 1. Only reason I mention it
is I thought it could of been related to you Jeff (the spelling is off by
one letter however)
Saw an American Oil sign along US 30 east of Stoystown, PA
For those of you who don't know, US 30, east of Greensburg, is divided by a
river with east bound on one side and westbound on the other.
Came within 50 ft. of getting a speeding ticket on the PA Turnpike.
Everyone was going 75-80 MPH west of Harrisburg and I saw one of PA's finest
fly out from behind a bridge in front of me.
He pulled at least two over (including one directly in front of me). That
was also the first cop I've seen on the PA Turnpike in 7 years.
Stayed overnight in South Philly with a friend of mine
There are several old buttoncopy BGS along the Roosevelt Blvd in NE Philly

In New Jersey, What are the numbers underneath the town's name on the town
limit signs.
Also why does Jersey spell boro, while Pa spells it borough?

Saw an Alt I-87 sign along the Cross Bronx Expwy

Are there any websites covering the Merritt? I took pictures of all but 3
or 4 of the bridges going over it.
Came within 15 ft.or 10 secs of being involved in a traffic accident along
the Merritt Parkway.
A car just ahead of me and to my right inexplectedly veered off to the right
and hit a van that was parked on the shoulder. I barely missed a bumper
that came off the car, and if that car comes off the van in front of me, who
knows when the next any of you would heard from me next.
Where is the technical end of the Merritt as well?
Spent the night at a Hotel 6 near Bradford, Cn. It has a McDonalds built
into it, but it is poorly ran. Bad hours (Closed by 10 PM on a Saturday
night?) and a incompetent staff. But I still acted in a civilized manner
while there.

What is measured mile in Rhode Island (and New York)?
There's an abandoned rest stop on I-295 (NB) by exit 10

Where was I-295 originally supposed to continue to from I-95, north of
Providence?
Mass makes Pennsylvania look like Ohio when comes to
acceleration/deceleration ramps.
I nearly took out my car due to the lack of warning via signage and space
going on the loop from I-95 NB to Mass 125 WB. And I could see that there
were others as well.

Where was I-189 supposed to continue to west of US 7 near Burlington, Vt?
What is up with VT 289 (and for that matter Vt 191)? Will it ever connect
(on both ends) to I-89?
Spent the night at a Travelodge just south of Burlington. Love their idea
of a continental breakfast. They hand you a bag with a pastry, a container
of OJ and some instant coffee. But still I treated them with courtesy and
acted civilized.
Near Underhill, Vt is an old time Reduce Speed to 30 MPH sign
What do the 'throughway begins/ends' signs mean in Vermont?
On the town limits signs in Vermont, the mileage to the next town is in fine
print underneath the town name
You know the State you're in is in financial trouble when they don't have
free roadmaps to hand out (or in the case of Quebec, you have to pay for
them, but more about them later)

Saw one BGS on the Maine Turnpike that had mileage to the next exit in KM
(it was southbound)
Maine 139 has a bonus control city (from I-95) of Quebec, Quebec.
I find it interesting that Maine loops their weigh stations for Trucks
instead of a simple on/off ramps.
Is there really a need for a freeway north of Bangor? I've never seen a
quieter freeway since I've started my travels.

Spent the night at a hotel just south of Perth-Andover
Is NB 2 getting 4 lanes divided north of Perth-Andover?
And what is the deal with NB 2? Is it a freeway, a super two, or a normal
highway?
I guess it would be a good example of what US highways looked like before
the advent of the freeway system.
I'll save my rant on why New Brunswick has 3 types of Provincial/state
routes.

Quebec was interesting. But first this political rant....
Memo to the Quebecqoi. Join the rest of the world and speak English. The
rest of the world will think you are hospitable and you'll incur more
tourist dollars to improve your infrastructure (because your roads SUCK!!!!)
and we won't have to pay $4.00 (Canadian which would be $2.75 US) for a Map
Art of Rand McNally map of the area.
Enjoy life as outcasts you snobs!
End of Political rant.

I will say this, PQ 132 around the Gaspe peninsula is a nice trip.
I encountered my first conversation with a construction worker while on PQ
299 as well (though it was hard to do English/French/Magyar with him (see
above rant).
Who stole what from whom?
Canada and the US use the same symbol for their historic river drives; the
boat steering wheel (for the Great River Rd along the Mississippi and the
Route of the Navigators along the St. Lawrence)
Spent the night at Riviere du Loup.
What's the story with the break in Autoroute 20 between St. Arsene and Bic?
will the gap be filled? Will the route be continued east of Rimouski? And
why all the folded cloverleaves instead of diamond interchanges?
I would of liked to have gotten some pictures of the bridges of the St.
Lawrence, but I encountered nowhere that one could pull off to get a good
view of the bridges (east of Montreal)
Montreal is a cross of New York City and New Orleans. The city looks like
the Big Easy, but it's inhabitants have the attitude of New Yorkers.

Stayed the night in Cornwall, Ontario
Signs from 401 near the Ogdensburg bridge use a US 37 shield instead of a NY
37 Shield
The Thousand Island Parkway is very peaceful drive.

Also, is there any reason why Canada doesn't have a unified highway system
to standardize the numerology between the provinces?

Thanks to those who recommended the seashore drive along Lake Ontario.
Also, Is New York State just being different in that they sign the route
along Lake Ontario the Seaway Trail instead of the Lake Ontario Circle tour
(like the other states and Ontario do)?
I thought Vermont and Quebec had bad roads, who the hell is responsible for
the upkeep of the Lake Ontario State Pkwy?! I've seen abandoned roads in
better condition than what that highway is. And speaking of the LOSP, plans
to continue it west of Point Breeze?
Was I-90 originally planned to go into Buffalo (or at least go east of
I-290)?

I can't believe the control city for OH 45 from I-90 is...Warren, Oh. Only
a 40 mile drive south.
Couldn't ODOT used Rock Creek or Saybrook or even Ashtabula. Something
closer or more reasonable.
I would stopped by and said hi Marc, but I came through at Midnight on a
Friday night/Saturday morning. Not a good time to visit.
Pulled into home at 2:15 AM Saturday morning.

So there you have it. 3,300+ miles in 8 (9 if you count Saturday morning)
days
I almost have the Lincoln Highway completely driven from NYC to Pittsburgh.
I have a smidge between Newark, NJ and the Hudson to cover, from Breezewood
to Bedford, and from Greensburg to downtown Pittsburgh. (I then have a long
section from Bucyrus Oh, to Pittsburgh to cover then I'll have the route
covered from Nebraska east)
MTR posters....REACT! :-)
--
(and yes I worked on my e-mail account this weekend so there should be no
more identity issues or questions of where e-mails went now :)

Sandor G
"I'm not from here" - President of the OSU Geography Club
"I Just live here." - Middle of Nowhere, Ohio
-- James McMurtry

"Rocks are my pillow
The cold ground my bed
Highway is my home" -- Magic Slim

Sandor G

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00

Saw Old Man of the Mountain and Franconia Notch.
I-93 does narrow down to one lane of traffic in either direction with a
guardrail separating the two
Is signed as to I-93
Has different exit numbers because it is the Franconia Notch Parkway through
there (and has Big Brown Signs instead of BGSs)
However, the milemarkers continue through Franconia Notch as if it existed
(or were they for US 3)
New Hampshire is the only state I've seen so far (been to 26 now) that uses
one sign for it's multiplexes instead of separate shields, and they do it on
every multiplexed route.
Spent the night in North Conway at the North Conway Mountain Inn. Highly
recommended. Spend the extra $10 (be $60 instead of $50) and get a balcony
room. The view of the mountains is great!
Went to the top of Mt Washington, I didn't drive there (my driving style,
plus taking pictures while I drive would of taken me off a cliff), at 1 mile
up could see into Maine and Vermont.

Sandor G

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
Ignore this version. I forgot to add New Hampshire to this one.

Sandor G

Sandor G <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message

Douglas Kerr

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote:

> What and why are strobe lights being incorporated into red lights in
Western
> PA (and NY state among other areas)

I believe they are to alert drivers that a traffic light is red after a
possible long period of being on a stretch of road with no traffic
lights.

> Are there any websites covering the Merritt? I took pictures of all
but 3
> or 4 of the bridges going over it.

I know there is something about the Merritt on Steve Anderson's
nycroads.com. Those bridges are so art-deco and visually appealing that
it's not funny.

> Where is the technical end of the Merritt as well?

Around Hamden, CT I believe.

> Where was I-295 originally supposed to continue to from I-95, north of
> Providence?
> Mass makes Pennsylvania look like Ohio when comes to
> acceleration/deceleration ramps.

East of I-95, it was supposed to be I-895 and was to be the eastern
Providence bypass.

> Thanks to those who recommended the seashore drive along Lake Ontario.

No problem. Among the more scenic views of Lake Ontario around Oswego
are on Oswego CR 1 and Oswego CR 89 however.

> Also, Is New York State just being different in that they sign the
route
> along Lake Ontario the Seaway Trail instead of the Lake Ontario Circle
tour
> (like the other states and Ontario do)?

The Seaway Trail runs along the shores of Lake Erie, the Niagara River,
Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence Seaway, so I believe the plan was to
encompass more than just a Great Lake or two.

> Was I-90 originally planned to go into Buffalo (or at least go east of
> I-290)?

I-90 always followed along the Thruway alignment. I-190 in
Buffalo/Niagara Falls was once known as I-90N however.

--
=Douglas Kerr (dke...@oswego.edu)=
http://members.xoom.com/dougtone

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

David J. Greenberger

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> writes:

> NJ 495 east into Manhattan
> 42nd St east to Avenue of the Americans
> Avenue of the Americans north to 57th St
> 57th St west to NY 9A
> NY 9A north to I-95

Booooring. (Although you drove right by my parents.)

> There is a look out tower in Wheeling just off US 40 that gives you a
> great view of Wheeling, but the site itself looks very Adma like (no
> one has done any upkeep on it so there's plenty of graffiti)

Are you implying that no one's done any upkeep on Adma?

> What and why are strobe lights being incorporated into red lights in
> Western PA (and NY state among other areas)

NYSDOT tends to install them at unexpected signals, typically after a
long stretch without any signals. I've even seen one at a blinking red
light at the bottom of a hill.

> Where is the technical end of the Merritt as well?

The south end is at the CT-NY border. The north end is at the bridge
over the Housatonic River. North of the bridge is the Wilbur Cross
Parkway. The bridge itself is not part of either parkway.

> What is measured mile in Rhode Island (and New York)?

I don't know, but I've seen them also in New York, on the STE.

> Spent the night at a Travelodge just south of Burlington. Love their
> idea of a continental breakfast. They hand you a bag with a pastry, a
> container of OJ and some instant coffee. But still I treated them
> with courtesy and acted civilized.

What, no towels?

> You know the State you're in is in financial trouble when they don't
> have free roadmaps to hand out (or in the case of Quebec, you have to
> pay for them, but more about them later)

Did they not have free maps at all or did you just not know where to
find them? New York, for instance, gives out maps -- if you're lucky
enough to find a place that stocks them.

> Montreal is a cross of New York City and New Orleans. The city looks
> like the Big Easy, but it's inhabitants have the attitude of New
> Yorkers.

And what would that attitude be?

> MTR posters....REACT! :-)

<poof>
--
David J. Greenberger
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Marc Fannin

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote:

> I can't believe the control city for OH 45 from I-90 is...Warren,
> Oh. Only a 40 mile drive south.
> Couldn't ODOT used Rock Creek or Saybrook or even Ashtabula.

ODOT generally doesn't use unincorporated places as controls (thanks,
Brian Powell and Matt Walcoff) so Saybrook is out (although at that
exit Austinburg, a mile south at Ohio 307, is used on the signs on the
ramps). Rock Creek or Orwell could have been used, however; I can't
really say why they weren't. I guess one of the most direct ways to
Warren is via Ohio 45 (the other being Ohio 11 to a connector route) so
that would take precedence over the smaller towns. As for Ashtabula,
it IS the control there -- eastbound.

--
Marc Fannin musx...@kent.edu (use first) or musx...@hotmail.com
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~musxf579/home.html

Michael G. Koerner

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
"David J. Greenberger" wrote:

> > You know the State you're in is in financial trouble when they don't
> > have free roadmaps to hand out (or in the case of Quebec, you have to
> > pay for them, but more about them later)
>

> Did they not have free maps at all or did you just not know where to
> find them? New York, for instance, gives out maps -- if you're lucky
> enough to find a place that stocks them.

Does NYSDOT have anything besides the 'RMcN' maps?

Regards,

Michael G. Koerner
Appleton, WI

***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
address to reply. ***NOTICE***

David J. Greenberger

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> writes:

> "David J. Greenberger" wrote:
>
> > Did they not have free maps at all or did you just not know where to
> > find them? New York, for instance, gives out maps -- if you're
> > lucky enough to find a place that stocks them.
>
> Does NYSDOT have anything besides the 'RMcN' maps?

I've only seen one version of NYSDOT's maps; if they're put out by RMcN,
that's all they have, AFAIK. As I've said, New York's maps are hard to
find, so I don't get to see them much except posted on the wall at rest
areas.

Douglas Kerr

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00

I was able to get a NY State map from the annual travel and tourism
guides. Also, at the Thruway rest areas, you can get a state map
complements of the Dept. of Hospitality (or something like that, it's in
my car right now and I don't feel like running out and getting it right
now). It isn't too detailed though.

In article <s0t7lak...@csil-sunb38.cs.uiuc.edu>,

--

=Douglas Kerr (dke...@oswego.edu)=
http://members.xoom.com/dougtone
a.k.a. Dougtone- AOL IM . ICQ#- 947029
"I never set out to be a businessman. I just wanted to have fun, bang
chicks
and do drugs." - OZZY OSBOURNE explains his carefully crafted career
plan.

Sandor G

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00

David J. Greenberger <gren...@uiuc.edu> wrote in message

> "Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> writes:
>
> > There is a look out tower in Wheeling just off US 40 that gives you a
> > great view of Wheeling, but the site itself looks very Adma like (no
> > one has done any upkeep on it so there's plenty of graffiti)
>
> Are you implying that no one's done any upkeep on Adma?

What, and risk being attacked?! ;-)

> > What and why are strobe lights being incorporated into red lights in
> > Western PA (and NY state among other areas)
>

> NYSDOT tends to install them at unexpected signals, typically after a
> long stretch without any signals. I've even seen one at a blinking red
> light at the bottom of a hill.
>

> > Where is the technical end of the Merritt as well?
>

> The south end is at the CT-NY border. The north end is at the bridge
> over the Housatonic River. North of the bridge is the Wilbur Cross
> Parkway. The bridge itself is not part of either parkway.
>

> > What is measured mile in Rhode Island (and New York)?
>

> I don't know, but I've seen them also in New York, on the STE.
>

> > Spent the night at a Travelodge just south of Burlington. Love their
> > idea of a continental breakfast. They hand you a bag with a pastry, a
> > container of OJ and some instant coffee. But still I treated them
> > with courtesy and acted civilized.
>

> What, no towels?

They had towels. Far as I know, every hotel I stayed at had clean towels

> > You know the State you're in is in financial trouble when they don't
> > have free roadmaps to hand out (or in the case of Quebec, you have to
> > pay for them, but more about them later)
>

> Did they not have free maps at all or did you just not know where to
> find them? New York, for instance, gives out maps -- if you're lucky
> enough to find a place that stocks them.

No, I stoped at two Quebec Tourist information centers and both times they
had maps only for sale. No freebies (unlike other states). Maybe I didn't
stop at the right places in Vermont
As for New York state, I got two state maps from them. They have one map in
their tourist guide, and (me not knowing it was in there) asked for and
received one seperate (this was at the tourist info stop on I-81 just before
the Thousand Island bridges).

> > Montreal is a cross of New York City and New Orleans. The city looks
> > like the Big Easy, but it's inhabitants have the attitude of New
> > Yorkers.
>

> And what would that attitude be?

Honk, honk! Middle finger, cut in front of you, contact driving, etc.

> > MTR posters....REACT! :-)
>
> <poof>

> --
> David J. Greenberger
> Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Sandor G

David J. Greenberger

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> writes:

> [David wrote:]
> > [Sandor wrote:]

> > > Montreal is a cross of New York City and New Orleans. The city looks
> > > like the Big Easy, but it's inhabitants have the attitude of New
> > > Yorkers.
> >

> > And what would that attitude be?
>
> Honk, honk! Middle finger, cut in front of you, contact driving, etc.

Those first three belong to NYC cabbies and Jersey drivers (who think
they're cleverly acting like NYC drivers -- but it's not the NYC drivers
who clog up all of Midtown Manhattan every afternoon rush hour trying to
get into the tunnels). The third belongs to NYC drivers not allowing
Jersey drivers and cabbies to cut the line.

David J. Greenberger

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
Douglas Kerr <dke...@oswego.edu> writes:

> I was able to get a NY State map from the annual travel and tourism
> guides. Also, at the Thruway rest areas, you can get a state map
> complements of the Dept. of Hospitality (or something like that, it's
> in my car right now and I don't feel like running out and getting it
> right now). It isn't too detailed though.

The only rest areas I find myself at are the ones on NY 17/I-86, which
are somewhat more primitive than the others. Maybe that's why I can't
find a map.

Marc Fannin

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00

[NOTE: The following is a repost to put it in the correct thread in
case someone missed the other obsolete one of the same name]

"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote:

> I can't believe the control city for OH 45 from I-90 is...Warren,
> Oh. Only a 40 mile drive south.
> Couldn't ODOT used Rock Creek or Saybrook or even Ashtabula.

ODOT generally doesn't use unincorporated places as controls (thanks,

Brian Powell and Matt Walcoff) so Saybrook is out (although at that
exit Austinburg, a mile south at Ohio 307, is used on the signs on the
ramps). Rock Creek or Orwell could have been used, however; I can't
really say why they weren't. I guess one of the most direct ways to
Warren is via Ohio 45 (the other being Ohio 11 to a connector route) so
that would take precedence over the smaller towns. As for Ashtabula,
it IS the control there -- eastbound.

James C. Schul

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00

> ODOT generally doesn't use unincorporated places as controls (thanks,
> Brian Powell and Matt Walcoff) so Saybrook is out (although at that
> exit Austinburg, a mile south at Ohio 307, is used on the signs on the
> ramps). Rock Creek or Orwell could have been used, however; I can't
> really say why they weren't. I guess one of the most direct ways to
> Warren is via Ohio 45 (the other being Ohio 11 to a connector route) so
> that would take precedence over the smaller towns. As for Ashtabula,
> it IS the control there -- eastbound.

The only place I know of in Ohio in which an unincorporated municipality
is used is actually on a secondary sign. I-75 SB just south of Monroe
has a sign "West Chester NEXT 3 EXITS" (installed within the last
year!), and West Chester is unincorporated. (Every mailpiece addressed
to Union Township (now West Chester Township, probably to set it apart
from Union Township in Clermont County), Butler County, has the
destination of West Chester (pop. 700 according to Rand McNally, but the
Township is very close to 50,000).)