US towns named after foreign cities

brink

Jul 5, 2006, 3:31:00 AM7/5/06
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA

others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)

brink

anon

Jul 5, 2006, 7:33:55 AM7/5/06
Athens, TN
Memphis, TN
Paris, TN

SP Cook

Jul 5, 2006, 7:39:18 AM7/5/06

brink wrote:
> Athens, GA

> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)

The naming of American college downs after Athens, Oxford, and
Cambridge is pretty frequent.

Athens, GA (Univesity of Georgia)
Athens, OH (Ohio University)
Athens, WV (Concord College)
Oxford, MS (Univesity of Mississippi)
Cambridge, MA (Harvard State and MIT)

BTW, in the historical illiteracy department, the old Athens, WV HS was
the Athens Trojans.

SP Cook

SteveWilliamsDTM

Jul 5, 2006, 8:19:41 AM7/5/06
Fellow Road Enthusiasts,

Here are a few more for you...

Cairo, GA (pronounced KAY-row)
Cairo, IL
Sparta, GA
Bethlehem, GA

Steve Williams, KC4AZO :)
Atlanta, GA
Blogmaster, "The Georgia Road Geek"
http://www.georgiaroadgeek.com

James Robinson

Jul 5, 2006, 9:28:24 AM7/5/06
"brink" <br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to
> corner the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)

Many cities are named after foreign ones. There are so many in New York,
as an example, that you would probably list 1/2 the cities in the state.
As a start, here are some of the more obvious ones:

Albany
Rochester
Syracuse
Utica
Rome
Dunkirk
Massena
Amsterdam
Berlin
Hampton
Southampton
Selkirk
Hempstead
Babylon
Brooklyn
Huntington
Troy
Scarborough
Westchester
Waverly
Nassau
Cadiz
Cairo
Bangor

Chris Wilson

Jul 5, 2006, 9:59:53 AM7/5/06
> Albany
> Rochester
> Syracuse
> Utica
> Rome
> Dunkirk
> Massena
> Amsterdam
> Berlin
> Hampton
> Southampton
> Selkirk
> Hempstead
> Babylon
> Brooklyn
> Huntington
> Troy
> Scarborough
> Westchester
> Waverly
> Nassau
> Cadiz
> Cairo
> Bangor

You forgot Ithaca, unless that was mentioned before...

The only one I can think of at hand is Madrid, MS.

H.B. Elkins

Jul 5, 2006, 9:59:02 AM7/5/06
On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 02:31:00 -0500, brink wrote:

>others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
>the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)

Kentucky is full of them -- London, Paris, Athens, Versailles, Rome, and I'm
sure I could go on and on.

Same for West Virginia - Athens, Vienna, etc.

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

Michael G. Koerner

Jul 5, 2006, 10:26:25 AM7/5/06

There are oodles of them here in Wisconsin. They were likely named that by
immigrants wanting a touchstone of the 'old' country. They include:

Berlin
Brussels
Verona
Barneveld
Athens
Sussex
Cambridge (hometown of Matt Kenseth)

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Gary V

Jul 5, 2006, 10:30:31 AM7/5/06
How about Marne, MI? It was originally Berlin (thus the location of
the Berlin Speedway), but dropped that one in a frenzy of wartime
fervor. Picking up another German, but presumably less offensive, name
in the process.

txsta...@hotmail.com

Jul 5, 2006, 11:53:33 AM7/5/06
In Texas, besides Paris:
Bogata (for Bogota but misspelled after it's founding, and locally
pronounced 'Buh-GO-tuh')
Odessa
Potosi (for San Luis Potosí in Mexico, which itself comes from the
Potosí area in Bolivia)

Others, like-named, but origin unknown or not directly attributable to
foreign cities:
Athens
Carthage
Florence
London
Memphis
Moscow
Naples

wdi...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2006, 12:37:21 PM7/5/06
I don't think Kansas or Nebraska is the place where there is the
highest prevalance of European place names. In the case of the Plains,
the names were often used to attract people from elsewhere to move
there, with the idea that one day, Paris, Kansas, and Paris, France,
would be indistinguishable. (I suppose Paris, Kansas, has a Wal Mart,
where Paris, France, does not.)

Almost every town, county, and city in the Northeast is named after a
foreign town or city, or county.

Massachusetts, for example:

Counties

Suffolk
Norfolk
Essex
Middlesex
Worcester
Plymouth
Hampshire
Hampden
Berkshire
Barnstable
Bristol

Basically, all except Dukes, Nantucket, and Franklin

Towns

Abington
Acton
Amesbury
Andover
Ashland
Attleborough
Auburn
Avon
Ayer
Barnstable
Bedford
Bellingham
Berlin
Beverly
Billerica
Blandford
Bolton
Boston
Bourne
Boxborough
Boxford
Braintree
Brewster
Bridgewater
Burlington
Cambridge
Carlisle
Charlton
Chatham
Chelmford
Chelsea
Chesire
Chester
Chesterfield
Dartmouth
Dedham
Dover
Dunstable
Duxbury
Eastham
Easthampton
Easton
Essex
Falmouth
Foxborough
Framingham
Gloucester
Grafton
Granby
Great Barrington
Halifax
Hardwick
Harwich
Haverhill
Hingham
Hull
Ipswich
Kingston
Lancaster
Leicester
Leominster
Lincoln
Lynn
Lynnfield
Malden
Manchester
Marion
Marlborough
Maynard
Medfield
Medford
Medway
Melrose
Mendon
Milford
Needham
Newbury
Newton
Norfolk
Northampton
Oxford
Pelham
Plymouth
Raynham
Reading
Rehoboth
Richmond
Rochester
Salisbury
Sheffield
Sherborn
Shrewsbury
Somerset
Southampton
Sterling
Stockbridge
Stow
Sturbridge
Sudbury
Swansea
Taunton
Uxbridge
Waltham
Wareham
Warwick
Westminster
Weston
Weymouth
Winchester
Woburn
Worcester
Yarmouth

Pete from Boston

Jul 5, 2006, 1:54:00 PM7/5/06

Most likely because either 1) Europeans settled there directly, or 2)
people from the East, whose towns were largely settled by people who
moved from Europe directly, relocated there, bringing names from home
with them.

The so-called "Classical Revival" of the early 19th Century likely gave
rise to a large number of towns being called Athens, Sparta, Troy, etc.

SteveWilliamsDTM

Jul 5, 2006, 2:07:50 PM7/5/06
Forgot one...

Brunswick, GA, is English for Braunsweig, the German hometown of
Britain's King George II (Georgia's namesake).

Steve Williams, KC4AZO :)
Atlanta, GA
Blogmaster, "The Georgia Road Geek"
http://www.georgiaroadgeek.com

wjb...@aol.com

Jul 5, 2006, 2:52:02 PM7/5/06

Here's a few more:

Rio
Namur
Lublin
Palmyra
Hebron
Steuben
Stockholm

Uppsala MN
Montevideo MN
New Prague, MN
Padua, MN
Oslo, MN
New Berne, MN

brink

Jul 5, 2006, 4:04:04 PM7/5/06

<wjb...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Montevideo MN

Good one! I remember seeing signs for that growing up in Minnetonka. If I
remember correctly, there were mileage signs for it out west on Highway 7.
I thought it sounded so strange as I took the "video" portion literally.

Do they pronounce it the Spanish way (MON-tay-vee-DAY-oh) or the, um,
Minnesotaized way (MON-tuh-VID-ee-oh)?

My guess would be the latter. ;-) It's the way I always pronounced it in
my head when I saw the signs as a kid.

brink

k_f...@lycos.com

Jul 5, 2006, 5:34:05 PM7/5/06

We have one here named Blockbustervideo.

Timothy J. Lee

Jul 5, 2006, 7:26:35 PM7/5/06
How about places with "New" prepended? E.g.

New York
New Orleans
New Madrid
New Rome

Timothy J. Lee

Scott M. Kozel

Jul 5, 2006, 7:26:35 PM7/5/06

Moscow, PA

Virginia --

Alexandria
Dublin
Glasgow
Gloucester
Hampton
Paris
Petersburg
Portsmouth
Vienna
Warsaw
Woodbridge

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

k_f...@lycos.com

Jul 5, 2006, 7:31:03 PM7/5/06
Timothy J. Lee wrote:
> How about places with "New" prepended? E.g.
>
> New York
> New Orleans
> New Madrid
> New Rome

Indeed, since in many cases they were specifically named for the "old"
ones, particularly New York (for the Duke of York).

New Orleans as well.

Stephen Dailey

Jul 5, 2006, 9:36:30 PM7/5/06
In Washington:

Aberdeen
Bingen
Colchester
Kent (well, OK, actually a county)
Manchester
Medina
Newcastle
Odessa
Toledo

Vancouver doesn't really count as it predates Vancouver, BC by about 30
years.

===
Steve
Shoreline, Washington USA
smda...@seanet.com
5 Jul 2006, 1835 PDT

k_f...@lycos.com

Jul 5, 2006, 11:20:18 PM7/5/06
brink wrote:
> others?

Genoa CO

Pat O'Connell

Jul 5, 2006, 11:40:58 PM7/5/06
Indiana:

Peru PEEROO (named for the country), Versailles, Bedford, North
Manchester, Frankfort, Hanover (both Anglicized) maybe Vincennes.

New Mexico:
Madrid, Carlsbad, Cuba (named for the country of course)

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]

Nathan Perry

Jul 6, 2006, 2:34:09 PM7/6/06
In article <4h18hbF...@individual.net>,
"brink" <br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Probably because they pick European cities you've heard of. In the
Northeast, many towns are named after settler's homes across the ocean,
which could be any old small hamlet.

Otherwise: Copenhagen, Lisbon, Madrid, Cairo, Paris, Rome, Athens,
Syracuse, Rotterdam, Berlin are all places in NY.

Nathan Perry

Jul 6, 2006, 2:43:17 PM7/6/06
In article <Xns97F7605EF7F...@216.196.97.142>,
James Robinson <was...@212.com> wrote:

> Many cities are named after foreign ones. There are so many in New York,
> as an example, that you would probably list 1/2 the cities in the state.
> As a start, here are some of the more obvious ones:
>
> Albany
> Rochester

Neither of these are named for cities. Rochester is named for Nathaniel
Rochester, and Albany is named for the same English guy that New York is
named for.

> Brooklyn

Brooklyn is modified Dutch for "broken land".

> Nassau

Nassau is named for a person, or more generally a house of nobility.

James Robinson

Jul 6, 2006, 4:16:25 PM7/6/06
Nathan Perry <npe...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> In article <Xns97F7605EF7F...@216.196.97.142>,
> James Robinson <was...@212.com> wrote:
>
>> Many cities are named after foreign ones. There are so many in New
>> York, as an example, that you would probably list 1/2 the cities in
>> the state. As a start, here are some of the more obvious ones:
>>
>> Albany
>> Rochester
>
> Neither of these are named for cities. Rochester is named for
> Nathaniel Rochester, and Albany is named for the same English guy that
> New York is named for.

Yes, the Duke of Albany. However, he got that name from the ancient name
for Scotland, so I included it as a name copied from a place in the old
country.

I'll grant you the origin of Rochester. There is a Rochester in York,
England, and a number of US Rochesters are named after it. I just
guessed the same would hold for the one in New York.

>> Brooklyn
>
> Brooklyn is modified Dutch for "broken land".

According to www.brooklyn.com, "Brooklyn is the anglicized form of
"Breuckelen", and is most probably named after the municipality of
Breukelen, in Utrecht province, in the Netherlands."

>> Nassau
>
> Nassau is named for a person, or more generally a house of nobility.

As with Albany, the house of nobility was named for a German state.

Ozark Trail

Jul 6, 2006, 9:28:04 PM7/6/06

>> Paris, TX
>> Moscow, ID
>> Naples, FL
>> Venice, CA
>> Rome, GA
>> Florence, CO
>> Mecca, CA
>> Edinburgh, IN
>> Ayr, NE
>> Lisbon, MD
>> St Petersburg, FL
>> Berlin, NJ
>> Frankfort, IL
>> Hamburg, IA
>> Athens, GA
>> Madrid, IA
>> Amsterdam, NY
>> York, PA

Cairo, IL
Athens, TX

Michael G. Koerner

Jul 7, 2006, 12:26:01 AM7/7/06

I also just remembered:

Kiel, WI
Dorchester, WI

Banjomax

Jul 8, 2006, 11:45:44 AM7/8/06
wdi...@gmail.com wrote:
> I don't think Kansas or Nebraska is the place where there is the
> highest prevalance of European place names. In the case of the Plains,
> the names were often used to attract people from elsewhere to move
> there, with the idea that one day, Paris, Kansas, and Paris, France,
> would be indistinguishable. (I suppose Paris, Kansas, has a Wal Mart,
> where Paris, France, does not.)
>
> Almost every town, county, and city in the Northeast is named after a
> foreign town or city, or county.

I'd say close to half of the place names in Vermont have their origins
in place names on the other side of the Atlantic (Athens, Montpelier,
Westminster, etc.), though many are named for early settlers
(Chittenden, Bennington, Brattleboro, etc.). In looking into this, I
discovered that the naming of Jamaica VT has no relation to the island
of the same name, but is derived from a native (Natick) word for beaver.
Peru VT was named for the South American country, however. Peru was
originally named Bromley, which residents in the early 1800s associated
with a poverty stricken place. Peru was chosen as the new name as it
was associated with wealth at the time.

--
Banjo
W Brattleboro VT

Mike McManus

Jul 12, 2006, 12:15:57 AM7/12/06
James Robinson wrote:
> Nathan Perry <npe...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>>In article <Xns97F7605EF7F...@216.196.97.142>,
>> James Robinson <was...@212.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Many cities are named after foreign ones. There are so many in New
>>>York, as an example, that you would probably list 1/2 the cities in
>>>the state. As a start, here are some of the more obvious ones:
>>>
>>>Albany
>>>Rochester
>>
>>Neither of these are named for cities. Rochester is named for
>>Nathaniel Rochester, and Albany is named for the same English guy that
>>New York is named for.
>
> I'll grant you the origin of Rochester. There is a Rochester in York,
> England, and a number of US Rochesters are named after it. I just
> guessed the same would hold for the one in New York.

The town of Rochester in England that I visited in 2003 is in Kent, a
short commuter-train ride from London. I wonder if Colonel Rochester may
have had ancestors or relatives from there; a number of surnames are
derived from place names and vice versa.

--
Mike McManus, Renton, WA

George Grapman

Jul 12, 2006, 1:28:27 PM7/12/06
O Street is the main street in Lincoln,Nebraska. East- west streets
are letters while north/south are numbered/ O St. divides north and
south. The local joke is to call it "zero Street".

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

k_f...@lycos.com

Jul 12, 2006, 3:43:28 PM7/12/06
George Grapman wrote:
> O Street is the main street in Lincoln,Nebraska. East- west streets
> are letters while north/south are numbered/ O St. divides north and
> south. The local joke is to call it "zero Street".

What foreign city is named "Zero?"

George Grapman

Jul 12, 2006, 10:14:04 PM7/12/06
Whoops, wrong thread. I though I was in the one about odd names for
major streets.

Steve

Jul 13, 2006, 12:33:53 AM7/13/06
Wow, at first I thought that was a challenge.

--
Steve Alpert
MIT - B.S. (Eng.) '05, M.S. (Transp.) '06

nil...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2015, 10:06:25 AM6/13/15
Golconda , Nevada is based on a town name from India.

Kenny McCormack

Jun 13, 2015, 12:08:13 PM6/13/15
In article <15c49b58-b80a-48c1...@googlegroups.com>,
<nil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Golconda , Nevada is based on a town name from India.

New York?

Newark?

Dublin (either OH or TX)

Toledo (OH)

etc.

--
Modern Christian: Someone who can take time out
from using Leviticus to defend homophobia and Exodus

richard

Jun 13, 2015, 9:35:18 PM6/13/15
On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 16:08:12 +0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:

> In article <15c49b58-b80a-48c1...@googlegroups.com>,
> <nil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Golconda , Nevada is based on a town name from India.
>
> New York?
>
> Newark?
>
> Dublin (either OH or TX)
>
> Toledo (OH)
>
> etc.

yeah like there only a few hundred in every state.

Kenny McCormack

Jun 13, 2015, 10:42:08 PM6/13/15
In article <1980m01dd1hcg.1...@40tude.net>,

Venice, CA

Naples, FL

Rome, GA

Athens, GA

Troy, MI

--
When people wish to comment on something on which they have personal
knowledge, but do not wish to convey the fact that it is personal

Gary V

Jun 14, 2015, 7:41:18 AM6/14/15
On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 10:42:08 PM UTC-4, Kenny McCormack wrote:

> Troy, MI

Troy MI was named after Troy NY.
Message has been deleted

richard

Jun 14, 2015, 1:17:37 PM6/14/15
And what do you suppose Troy NY was named for?
Troy, England?

richard

Jun 14, 2015, 1:22:40 PM6/14/15
On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 08:07:57 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 21:34:21 -0400, richard <nor...@example.com>
> wrote:
>
>>yeah like there only a few hundred in every state.
>
> So you should have no problem coming up with 20 for 20 states.
>
> Go.

Without a doubt.
Ok smartboy know it all, what was "Cincinnati" named for?
Is there only one Cincinnati in the USA?

Larry Sheldon

Jun 14, 2015, 1:47:12 PM6/14/15
I's have guessed Turkey.

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)

Larry Sheldon

Jun 14, 2015, 1:49:26 PM6/14/15
An ancient Greek person? (My first guess was going to be "An 'Indian',
but don't know what tribe."

Larry Sheldon

Jun 14, 2015, 1:57:42 PM6/14/15
> but don't know what tribe.")

Nope. Named for "The Society of the Cincinnati" according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati

And that leads to Cincinnatus--and ancient Roman (I should have known
that) not a Greek.

John David Galt

Jun 14, 2015, 2:11:34 PM6/14/15
On 2015-06-14 10:21, richard wrote:
> Ok smartboy know it all, what was "Cincinnati" named for?
> Is there only one Cincinnati in the USA?

Cincinnati was named for the military Order of the Cincinnati, started
by General George Washington.

The order is named for Cincinnatus, a wealthy farmer during Rome's Early
Republic period, who got drafted and rose to be a successful general.
When the war was over, his men tried to get him to run for office. But
Cincinnatus said, "I fought for the glory of Rome, not my own," and went
back to his farm and stayed there.

Washington revered him and tried to do the same thing (giving a moving
farewell speech to Congress after the peace treaty was signed in 1783,
in which he resigned his commission and left public life, he hoped forever).

richard

Jun 14, 2015, 2:14:59 PM6/14/15
It's membership is open to certain chosen officers of the US military.
George Washington was the first elected presiding officer.
Cincinnatus, was a Roman senator who took control of the Roman arny for a
mere 15 days to battle a war.
Then politely resigned and went back to his farm.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Levine

Jun 14, 2015, 11:46:21 PM6/14/15
>It would be more interesting to come up with ones not of European origin.

We have lots of them here in New York, from native American words:

Canandaigua
Oneida
Irondequoit
Oswego
Owego
Otego
Oneonta
Schenectady
Seneca Falls
Skaneateles

We also have plenty of places named after people, like Binghamton and
Watkins Glen, and named after random other stuff like Buffalo.

T.J. Higgins

Jun 15, 2015, 10:49:41 AM6/15/15
In article <mllhqm$1sp4$1...@miucha.iecc.com>, John Levine wrote:
>>It would be more interesting to come up with ones not of European origin.
>
>We also have plenty of places named after people, like Binghamton and
>Watkins Glen, and named after random other stuff like Buffalo.

Also pretty much anything ending in -ville: Huntsville, Guntersville,
Cartersville, etc. ad nauseum.

--
TJH
tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net

Kenny McCormack

Jun 15, 2015, 2:42:11 PM6/15/15
In article <cu5t0u...@mid.individual.net>,
Larry Sheldon <lfsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 6/14/2015 12:17, richard wrote:

>>> Troy MI was named after Troy NY.
>>
>> And what do you suppose Troy NY was named for?
>> Troy, England?
>>

>I's have guessed Turkey.

I wonder...

Do the residents of any of these towns call themselves Trojans?

--
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance." - Steve Ballmer

T.J. Higgins

Jun 15, 2015, 2:52:54 PM6/15/15
In article <mln6a1$pqp$2...@news.xmission.com>, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>In article <cu5t0u...@mid.individual.net>,
>Larry Sheldon <lfsh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And what do you suppose Troy NY was named for?
>>> Troy, England?
>>>

>>I's have guessed Turkey.
>
>I wonder...
>
>Do the residents of any of these towns call themselves Trojans?

Troy University, located in Troy, Alabama, uses Trojans as their
mascot.

--
TJH
tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net

Michael Angelo Ravera

Jun 15, 2015, 4:24:33 PM6/15/15
On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 12:31:00 AM UTC-7, brink wrote:
> Paris, TX
> Moscow, ID
> Naples, FL
> Venice, CA
> Rome, GA
> Florence, CO
> Mecca, CA
> Edinburgh, IN
> Ayr, NE
> Lisbon, MD
> St Petersburg, FL
> Berlin, NJ
> Frankfort, IL
> Hamburg, IA
> Athens, GA
> Madrid, IA
> Amsterdam, NY
> York, PA
>
> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
>
> brink

Almost *EVERY* decent sized city in the costal California from the Marin headlands down to San Ysidro that was founded under Spanish or Mexican rule shares a name with a city in Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central or South America, or Texas (that was a separate country at the time of the naming). Whether the California city was named after the other or named independently isn't always clear.
San Jose, Costa Rica, Baja Califronia
San Juan (Bautista), Puerto Rico
San Luis (Obispo), Mexico
Santa Cruz, Canary Islands
Monter[r]ey, Mexico
San Martin, Caribbean
... and that is just large and large.

... in addition, there are Bagdad, Mecca, and Medina in the California desert.

auntie...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 11:50:05 AM3/3/16

auntie...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 12:03:36 PM3/3/16
Cairo, Syracuse, Bath, Rome, Ithaca,

auntie...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 12:04:28 PM3/3/16

auntie...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 12:07:10 PM3/3/16
What about all these cities in New York State? Cairo, Bath, Ithaca, Syracuse, Rome, Alexandria, Amsterdam, Athens, Berlin, Bombay, Delhi, Dunkirk, Edinburg< Florence, Frankfort, Genoa, Ghent, Jerusalem, Lisbon, Madrid, Malta, Manchester, Naples, Ontario, Oxford, Perth, Salem, Sidney, Stockholm, Venice, Verona and Warsaw. Might have missed a few.

John Levine

Mar 3, 2016, 1:04:51 PM3/3/16
In article <3a27bd3d-f881-48b7...@googlegroups.com>,
<auntie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 3:31:00 AM UTC-4, brink wrote:

Gee, if you'd only waited a few more months to reply, you could have
broken the decade mark.

Arif Khokar

Mar 3, 2016, 10:45:27 PM3/3/16
What is up with these posters who reply to posts in threads that are
years, if not over a decade old? Do they not pay attention to the date
of the post they're replying to?

Why not just start a new thread instead?

John David Galt

Mar 4, 2016, 12:30:25 AM3/4/16
Because they don't have a real newsreader. They have Google Groups.

brian...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2017, 8:19:13 PM2/26/17
Baghdad, KY
Versaillles, KY
Frankfort, KY (Frankfurt)
Paris, KY

And that's just off the top of my head.

John Levine

Feb 26, 2017, 11:53:41 PM2/26/17
In article <68a4ace0-2082-4a76...@googlegroups.com>,
<brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Baghdad, KY
>Versaillles, KY
>Frankfort, KY (Frankfurt)
>Paris, KY
>
>And that's just off the top of my head.

Are those new since the guy asked that question ten years ago?

H.B. Elkins

Mar 2, 2017, 10:48:18 AM3/2/17
Wrong about Frankfort. It was originally named Frank's Ford, because there was a
low spot in the Kentucky River where it could be crossed (forded).

In article <68a4ace0-2082-4a76...@googlegroups.com>,
brian...@gmail.com says...
--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictorplate"

rileyg...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2017, 12:37:05 PM3/2/17
Mt. Carmel, IL

New Lebanon, IL

Palestine, IL

Cairo, IL

Larry Sheldon

Mar 2, 2017, 10:33:40 PM3/2/17
On 3/2/2017 09:48, H.B. Elkins wrote:
> Wrong about Frankfort. It was originally named Frank's Ford, because there was a
> low spot in the Kentucky River where it could be crossed (forded).
>
> In article <68a4ace0-2082-4a76...@googlegroups.com>,
> brian...@gmail.com says...
>>
>> Baghdad, KY
>> Versaillles, KY
>> Frankfort, KY (Frankfurt)
>> Paris, KY
>>
>> And that's just off the top of my head.
>>

>> On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 3:31:00 AM UTC-4, brink wrote:
>>> Paris, TX
.
.
.
>>> York, PA
>>>
>>> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
>>> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)

Lots of the North American Continent was "settled" by groups of people
from somewhere else that tended to name the new settlements after the
places they had escaped-from.

Others used the names the preceding occupants had used.

In these and other cases the oral names got butchered by illiterates,
particularly illiterate map-makers, and bureaucrats.

Near here is a town spelled "Norfolk" but pronounced "North Fork"
because that is the settlers used in spite of the government surveyors
who had a better idea.

--
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
-- Juvenal

everyonei...@gmail.com

May 3, 2017, 12:08:43 PM5/3/17
On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 2:31:00 AM UTC-5, brink wrote:
> Paris, TX
> Moscow, ID
> Naples, FL
> Venice, CA
> Rome, GA
> Florence, CO
> Mecca, CA
> Edinburgh, IN
> Ayr, NE
> Lisbon, MD
> St Petersburg, FL
> Berlin, NJ
> Frankfort, IL
> Hamburg, IA
> Athens, GA
> Madrid, IA
> Amsterdam, NY
> York, PA
>
> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
>
> brink

Lebanon, OR
Athens, OH

John Levine

May 3, 2017, 2:40:54 PM5/3/17
In article <895202ca-7b52-48cd...@googlegroups.com>,
<everyonei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 2:31:00 AM UTC-5, brink wrote:

It's nice to know that someone's finally following up on this vital
topic after only 11 years.

>> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
>> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)

There's dozens of them here in upstate New York. I sent a note about
it a while ago.

>> Paris, TX
>> Moscow, ID
>> Naples, FL
>> Venice, CA
>> Rome, GA
>> Florence, CO
>> Mecca, CA
>> Edinburgh, IN
>> Ayr, NE
>> Lisbon, MD
>> St Petersburg, FL
>> Berlin, NJ
>> Frankfort, IL
>> Hamburg, IA
>> Athens, GA
>> Madrid, IA
>> Amsterdam, NY
>> York, PA

edwardmi...@gmail.com

May 5, 2017, 12:30:27 PM5/5/17
I have three:

Edinburgh, KS
Philadelphia, PA
Alexandria, LA

Oh, does New York City count? (York, England)

Kenny McCormack

May 5, 2017, 1:18:59 PM5/5/17
In article <998ce336-900e-4fc4...@googlegroups.com>,
<edwardmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have three:
>
>Edinburgh, KS
>Philadelphia, PA
>Alexandria, LA

Of these 3, the one that jumps out is, of course, Philadelphia.
It never occurred to me that that might be a foreign city name.

Googling led me to: https://www.behindthename.com/name/philadelphia
which says:

From the name of a city in Asia Minor mentioned in Revelation in the New
Testament.

--
Amazingly, it's beginning to look like W is the smart one.

But Jeb will still be the nominee (seriously, who else can/could it be?)

NAK

Jul 12, 2017, 8:13:53 PM7/12/17
On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 3:31:00 AM UTC-4, brink wrote:
> Paris, TX
> Moscow, ID
> Naples, FL
> Venice, CA
> Rome, GA
> Florence, CO
> Mecca, CA
> Edinburgh, IN
> Ayr, NE
> Lisbon, MD
> St Petersburg, FL
> Berlin, NJ
> Frankfort, IL
> Hamburg, IA
> Athens, GA
> Madrid, IA
> Amsterdam, NY
> York, PA
>
> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
>
> brink

Dublin, PA
Aleppo, PA

rdc

Jul 13, 2017, 8:59:36 PM7/13/17
Maryland: Salisbury, Cambridge, Chester[town], Berlin, Aberdeen,
Manchester, Winchester, Hampstead, St. James, Midlothian, Frederick,
Glen Burnie, Lothian, Waldorf, Scotland, St. Marys City.

Delaware: Glasgow, Nassau, Lincoln, Dover, Smyrna, Bombay Hook, Newark.

New Jersey: Avalon, Salem, Gloucester, Camden, Evesham, Hanover,
Manchester, Windsor, Brunswick, Holland, Bethlehem, Alexandria,
Lebanon, Chester, Bedminster, Newark, Jersey City, Orange, Dover,
Frelinghuysen, Sparta, Hamburg, Sussex.

ukrain...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2017, 9:55:11 PM10/13/17
On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 6:39:18 AM UTC-5, SP Cook wrote:
> brink wrote:
> > Athens, GA
> >>
> > others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
> > the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
> >
> The naming of American college downs after Athens, Oxford, and
> Cambridge is pretty frequent.
>
> Athens, GA (Univesity of Georgia)
> Athens, OH (Ohio University)
> Athens, WV (Concord College)
> Oxford, MS (Univesity of Mississippi)
> Cambridge, MA (Harvard State and MIT)
>

> BTW, in the historical illiteracy department, the old Athens, WV HS was
> the Athens Trojans.
>
> SP Cook

and don't forget athens, tx

yuliya...@hanovernorwichschools.org

Oct 20, 2017, 9:14:48 AM10/20/17
Berlin, VT
Hanover, NH

John Levine

Oct 20, 2017, 3:52:00 PM10/20/17
In article <9129a1ac-9b09-441e...@googlegroups.com>,
<yuliya...@hanovernorwichschools.org> wrote:
>Berlin, VT
>Hanover, NH

Wow, it's the 11 year old thread that keeps on giving.

Helpful tip: Norwich VT is named after Norwich in East Anglia, the
home of Colman's mustard.

jham...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2017, 12:44:49 PM11/9/17
Paris Twp, Ohio
Poland, Ohio
London, Ohio
Ontario, Calif

shadhin...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2017, 3:34:40 PM12/18/17
Philadelphia

named after he last independent Christian Greek settlement in western Asia Minor to the Muslim Turks of the Ottoman Sultanate. the city was sieged by a Byzantine (then a vassal of the Ottomans) and Ottoman army for 12 years.
When the Byzantine civil war turned disastrous, the Emperor Manuel II Palaiologos promised the city of Philadelphia to the Turks. However, the residents of Philadelphia were not so keen on this idea and managed to resist the invaders for an impressive 12 years before the city was finally taken by the Turkish forces.

jdmc...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2017, 8:35:23 PM12/28/17

shlom...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 8:10:05 PM3/13/18
On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 12:31:00 AM UTC-7, brink wrote:
> Paris, TX
> Moscow, ID
> Naples, FL
> Venice, CA
> Rome, GA
> Florence, CO
> Mecca, CA
> Edinburgh, IN
> Ayr, NE
> Lisbon, MD
> St Petersburg, FL
> Berlin, NJ
> Frankfort, IL
> Hamburg, IA
> Athens, GA
> Madrid, IA
> Amsterdam, NY
> York, PA
>
> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
>
> brink

Dublin, CA

On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 12:31:00 AM UTC-7, brink wrote:
> Paris, TX
> Moscow, ID
> Naples, FL
> Venice, CA
> Rome, GA
> Florence, CO
> Mecca, CA
> Edinburgh, IN
> Ayr, NE
> Lisbon, MD
> St Petersburg, FL
> Berlin, NJ
> Frankfort, IL
> Hamburg, IA
> Athens, GA
> Madrid, IA
> Amsterdam, NY
> York, PA
>
> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
>
> brink

On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 12:31:00 AM UTC-7, brink wrote:
> Paris, TX
> Moscow, ID
> Naples, FL
> Venice, CA
> Rome, GA
> Florence, CO
> Mecca, CA
> Edinburgh, IN
> Ayr, NE
> Lisbon, MD
> St Petersburg, FL
> Berlin, NJ
> Frankfort, IL
> Hamburg, IA
> Athens, GA
> Madrid, IA
> Amsterdam, NY
> York, PA
>
> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
>
> brink

John Levine

Mar 15, 2018, 4:33:53 PM3/15/18
>On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 12:31:00 AM UTC-7, brink wrote:
>> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
>> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-) ...
In article <bfd2e518-f238-4fda...@googlegroups.com>,
<shlom...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wow, it's the thread that Just Won't Die.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

mancunia...@gmail.com

May 10, 2018, 4:59:50 AM5/10/18
Lincoln, Nebraska is one of those cities named after a European one

Kenny McCormack

May 10, 2018, 9:25:07 AM5/10/18
In article <0b31467a-b014-4da9...@googlegroups.com>,
<mancunia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Lincoln, Nebraska is one of those cities named after a European one

I doubt it. I assume it was named to honor our sweet 16th (and Wikipedia
backs me up on this). In fact, per Wikipedia, it was founded in 1856
(before Lincoln became President) as "Lancaster", but was renamed in 1867.

Anyway, I would argue that just about every US town was named after (as in
"later than") just about every European/Asian city.

But, just out of curiosity, what foreign city did you have in mind?

--
Pensacola - the thinking man's drink.

T.J. Higgins

May 10, 2018, 9:49:01 AM5/10/18
In article <pd1h7i$ksc$2...@news.xmission.com>, Kenny McCormack wrote:

>Anyway, I would argue that just about every US town was named after (as in
>"later than") just about every European/Asian city.

Bravo!

--
TJH
tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net

John Levine

May 10, 2018, 4:13:20 PM5/10/18
In article <pd1h7i$ksc$2...@news.xmission.com> you write:
>Anyway, I would argue that just about every US town was named after (as in
>"later than") just about every European/Asian city.

My town was named after an early settler in the 1700s. It also is
rather common to name places after a local landmark, e.g., Niagara
Falls, and in parts of the US, with a version of a native name, e.g.,
Oneonta, Owego, Otego, Otsego, Oneida, and Schenectady.

R's,
John

PS: I think this thread has now been going for 12 years.

care...@twc.com

Jul 7, 2018, 7:20:55 PM7/7/18
On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 3:31:00 AM UTC-4, brink wrote:
> Paris, TX
> Moscow, ID
> Naples, FL
> Venice, CA
> Rome, GA
> Florence, CO
> Mecca, CA
> Edinburgh, IN
> Ayr, NE
> Lisbon, MD
> St Petersburg, FL
> Berlin, NJ
> Frankfort, IL
> Hamburg, IA
> Athens, GA
> Madrid, IA
> Amsterdam, NY
> York, PA
>
> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
>
> brink

mikesst...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2018, 11:00:55 AM7/13/18
Illinois has many:
Belgium, Berlin, Brussels, Cairo, Cuba, Geneva, Glasgow, Havana, Lebanon, Lisbon, Liverpool, Macedonia, Marseilles, Milan, Palestine, Panama, Paris, Peru, Rome, Venice, Versailles, Vienna and Warsaw.

John Levine

Jul 13, 2018, 2:18:03 PM7/13/18
In article <2609679b-006a-448e...@googlegroups.com>,
Does it have more than it did in 2006 when the message you're replying to was sent?

mosquit...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2018, 1:02:13 PM11/6/18
I saw Belgrade, Leeds, Poland, Bristol, Paris, Norway, Peru, Vienna, Belfast, China.... in Maine, Prague in Oklahoma and Milan, Berlin in Vermont, and also many others like Athens, Cairo, Paris, London, Lebanon, Manchester, Hanover... Oh my god, USA, stop copying xD

shad...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2018, 8:38:39 AM12/4/18
Loving this thread...
Hadn't seen these yet,
Glasgow, Montana
Sydney, Montana

nokial...@interia.pl

Jan 28, 2019, 6:58:15 AM1/28/19
W dniu środa, 5 lipca 2006 09:31:00 UTC+2 użytkownik brink napisał:
> Paris, TX
> Moscow, ID
> Naples, FL
> Venice, CA
> Rome, GA
> Florence, CO
> Mecca, CA
> Edinburgh, IN
> Ayr, NE
> Lisbon, MD
> St Petersburg, FL
> Berlin, NJ
> Frankfort, IL
> Hamburg, IA
> Athens, GA
> Madrid, IA
> Amsterdam, NY
> York, PA
> Aberdeen

omsid...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2019, 10:34:00 PM2/8/19
Dublin, CA

John Levine

Feb 8, 2019, 11:12:12 PM2/8/19
Wow, responding to an article from 13 years ago.

In article <f2ba012e-3f07-4960...@googlegroups.com>,
<omsid...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Dublin, CA

rvl...@att.net

Jul 24, 2020, 1:31:17 PM7/24/20
On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 2:31:00 AM UTC-5, brink wrote:
> Paris, TX
> Moscow, ID
> Naples, FL
> Venice, CA
> Rome, GA
> Florence, CO
> Mecca, CA
> Edinburgh, IN
> Ayr, NE
> Lisbon, MD
> St Petersburg, FL
> Berlin, NJ
> Frankfort, IL
> Hamburg, IA
> Athens, GA
> Madrid, IA
> Amsterdam, NY
> York, PA
>
> others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
> the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
>
> brink

Cairo, IL

John Levine

Jul 24, 2020, 2:56:55 PM7/24/20
In article <d847e7d0-8b29-49ff...@googlegroups.com>,
Wow, it's the thread that never dies.

FWIW I live between Ithaca, Waterloo, and Geneva NY, and not too far
from Syracuse, Utica, Rome, Palmyra, Lisle, and Liverpool.

If anyone actually cares, there's lists in Wikipedia.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",