Best route to Myrtle Beach (from North Carolina)

Dan

Jun 13, 2001, 11:41:10 PM6/13/01
I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach in August (from Cleveland, OH) and I'm
deciding which is the best route once I reach North Carolina:

1) Should I stay on I-77 until I reach Charlotte and then work my way east
(via US74, 9, and 501), or

2) Should I begin working my way east as soon as I enter NC, going through
Winston-Salem, Greensboro and then down I-73/74, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Mike Tantillo

Jun 14, 2001, 12:17:34 AM6/14/01

I'm used to the route through Raleigh and Durham, since I usually come from
Durham. It has its disadvantages though. Going that way, i'd take I-74 east
to US 52 south to Green 40 east to I-40 east to Wilmington, and then south on
NC 132, west on US 76 to US 17 south to Myrtle. There is a lot of construction
on I-40 in the Greensboro Area, and the possibility of being held up in rush
hour delays between chapel Hill and Raleigh make that route not so attractive.
However, Charlotte rush hour is no better, and you are on crappy 2 lane roads a
lot of the way if you head east near charlotte. I'd head through Raleigh and
Wilmington personally. The best and easiest route through wilmington is to
take I-40 to its end where it becomes NC 132, go PAST US 17 to US 76, and turn
right....76 west multiplexes with US 17 near "the drawbridge", and then its a
simple run to Myrtle Beach. An alternate route would be to take I-40 to I-95
south to Exit 181 in SC for SC 38 east...take that to US 501 south to SC 22
east. That route has construction and heavy traffic on I-95, but moves
reasonabley well in SC....and SC 22 is a great timesaver as far as not having
to drive through most of the "sprawl" of North Myrtle Beach, Little River,
Calabash....which can be slow at times. The through Wilmington or I-95
decision is a tossup, but i'd definitely not go through Charlotte unless you
want to stop there.

Mike Tantillo
Massapequa Park, NY
mjt7 *at* duke *dot* edu

SP Cook

Jun 14, 2001, 7:19:18 AM6/14/01

Dan <drst...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach in August (from Cleveland, OH) and I'm
> deciding which is the best route once I reach North Carolina:
>
> 2) Should I begin working my way east as soon as I enter NC, going through
> Winston-Salem, Greensboro and then down I-73/74, etc.

YES. As soon as you get in NC, take the exit marked "I-74". Of course this
is really the old US 52, so take it to Winston-Salem, where you pick up
Business I-40, which will merge into regular I-40 on the edge of town.
Continue on I-40 to Greensboro where the "I-73/74" stuff starts again. Take
73/74 (really US 220) South until the end of the 4-lane stuff near Ellerbe
and continue on US 220 south to Rockingham. There take US 74 for a short
period and then NC/SC 38 until you reach Bennettsville. If going to North
Myrtle Beach, take SC 9 East out of there to the coast. If going to main
Myrtle Beach, continue on SC 38 to US 501. Certified WV way there, and is
WVians know about anything, its Myrtle Beach.

SP Cook

Kenneth Dancy

Jun 14, 2001, 10:02:02 AM6/14/01

"SP Cook" <PAC...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> Dan <drst...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach in August (from Cleveland, OH) and I'm
> > deciding which is the best route once I reach North Carolina:
> >
> > 2) Should I begin working my way east as soon as I enter NC, going
through
> > Winston-Salem, Greensboro and then down I-73/74, etc.

Alternate route to consider:
You can also continue on US 52 South to US 64 East in Lexington to get to US
220 (Future I-73/I-74) in Asheboro. Check the miledge difference. It is
not all interstate, but traffic is not heavy. I-40 is under construction
between junction of BL-40 and I-40 just east of Kernersville, NC to
Greensboro, but maybe ok off peak hours. I found US 220 South , US 74 East ,
NC/SC 38 South, US 501 South to be the easiest route for me to Myrtle Beach,
but I haven't been there since 1984.

Dan Garnell

Jun 14, 2001, 3:20:22 PM6/14/01
"Dan" <drst...@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<qnWV6.10978$Rq4.2...@news1.news.adelphia.net>...

The exact inverse of my trip there last month. I'd suggest going one way
& coming back the other.

From Charlotte, take US-74 EB to Hamlet. Then go NC/SC-38 SB to the end
at US-501. Take US-501 to NW of Conway, & the new SC-22 in.

Going back, follow the same way to Rockingham, NC. Go US-74 WB to US-220 NB.
Go up to I-40 @ Greensboro, and follow west to Winston-Salem. Then, go
BL I-40 WB to US-52 NB to I-74 WB back to I-77 near the VA border, & you're
on your way.

Dan Garnell
djg...@yahoo.com

Billy Riddle

Jun 14, 2001, 7:44:04 PM6/14/01
I'm also heading down to Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks. This will be my
first ever trip there. I'll be coming from Nashville, and I'll be taking
the default route of 40 east to Asheville, 26 east to Columbia, and 20 east
to Florence, where I take US 501 east of there.

My question is whether or not the Conway Bypass is fully open to traffic or
not. I'm going to be staying in North Myrtle Beach, and if the Conway
Bypass is finished it would probably help out greatly. Also, does the
bypass have a number?

-Billy Riddle
wri...@SPAMTHIShome.com

"Mike Tantillo" <mjt...@aol.comremoveme> wrote in message

Jeff Kitsko

Jun 14, 2001, 9:21:49 PM6/14/01
What is with everyone all of asudden heading to Myrtle Beach? Is there
something I don't know?

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

"Billy Riddle" <wri...@home.com> wrote in message

David J. Greenberger

Jun 17, 2001, 10:55:13 PM6/17/01
"Jeff Kitsko" <jjki...@home.com> writes:

> What is with everyone all of asudden heading to Myrtle Beach? Is
> there something I don't know?

It must be some sort of roadgeek convention. I wasn't invited either.
--
David J. Greenberger

walkup...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2017, 8:56:31 AM8/11/17
Hwy 75 has no tolls 77 does. They mountains are steeper on 75
Used to make the trip a couple times a year 75 seems easier. Now I live in MB so don't have to travel those rds. Good luck and stay safe

michaeld...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2019, 8:17:59 PM6/15/19

John Levine

Jun 15, 2019, 10:13:34 PM6/15/19
In article <778d4500-77d1-401e...@googlegroups.com>,
I'm guessing he already figured out which way to go, since the
question was posted 18 years ago.
--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",