I-40: Why the western terminus at Barstow?

Matt Wiser

Apr 12, 2011, 1:59:47 AM4/12/11
I've noticed on the California roads site that California tried twice (1956
and 1968) to extend I-40 west from Barstow to Lost Hills and an I-5
junction. Anyone know why this was rejected, and why was the western
terminus for I-40 at Barstow? Slowly but surely, CA 58 is being upgraded to
full freeway or expressway between Mojave and Barstow, but it's no
substitute for I-40.

rsh...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2011, 2:08:53 AM4/12/11

Lets see now, CA is broke, so I doubt if they want to spend millions
to extend an interstate that has a logical ending currently.

Bakersfield is not exactly a major metropolis, and the jct with I-5 is
not exactly a major point

Brent Jonas

Apr 12, 2011, 3:05:07 AM4/12/11

Bakersfield is large enough (347,000 people), where one would expect
it to have an interstate highway running thru (the future I-7 or I-9,
the replacement number for CA 99 would accomplish this). But yeah,
Bakersfield isn't exactly L.A.

It may be a few decades, before the freeway is extended to I-5.
Bakersfield will see 3 new freeways in the coming decade, including
the first several miles of what would be presumably the future western
extension of I-40 (would continued to be signed as CA 58).

rsh...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2011, 3:57:29 AM4/12/11
On Apr 12, 1:05 am, Brent Jonas <brentrjo...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Apr 11, 11:08 pm, "rshe...@gmail.com" <rshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 11, 11:59 pm, "Matt Wiser" <MattWiser...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I've noticed on the California roads site that California tried twice (1956
> > > and 1968) to extend I-40 west from Barstow to Lost Hills and an I-5
> > > junction. Anyone know why this was rejected, and why was the western
> > > terminus for I-40 at Barstow? Slowly but surely, CA 58 is being upgraded to
> > > full freeway or expressway between Mojave and Barstow, but it's no
> > > substitute for I-40.
>
> > Lets see now, CA is broke, so I doubt if they want to spend millions
> > to extend an interstate that has a logical ending currently.
>
> > Bakersfield is not exactly a major metropolis, and the jct with I-5 is
> > not exactly a major point
>
> Bakersfield is large enough (347,000 people), where one would expect
> it to have an interstate highway running thru (the future I-7 or I-9,
> the replacement number for CA 99 would accomplish this).  But yeah,
> Bakersfield isn't exactly L.A.

you make an awful lot of assumptions. 99 needs hundreds if millions
of dollars of upgrades before it reaches freeway status.

Again CA is broke. Why is an interstate hwy an expectation? Gas is
heading north of $5 a gal. Unfortunately it is no longer 1955

> It may be a few decades, before the freeway is extended to I-5.
> Bakersfield will see 3 new freeways in the coming decade, including
> the first several miles of what would be presumably the future western
> extension of I-40 (would continued to be signed as CA 58).

please don't hold your breath

Paul D. DeRocco

Apr 12, 2011, 4:40:34 AM4/12/11
> "Matt Wiser" <MattWi...@yahoo.com> wrote

Slowly but surely? I'd say slowly, but I don't know about surely. They built
the Mojave Bypass a few years ago, and the connector to I-15 a few years
before that, but I'm not aware of any scheduled projects to do the rest
between. It would take a lot of work, and a fair amount of eminent domain in
Hinkley.

But even that would be a far cry from getting the whole road up to present
Interstate standards. Very little of the road between Bakersfield and
Barstow would qualify as is. But so what? I'd be happy to see a Kramer
Junction Bypass, and a fourlaning of the Hinkley stretch, even with at-grade
intersections. That would be plenty good enough for the truck traffic that
mostly uses that road. In twenty years, they could think about a further
upgrade, if traffic demanded it.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

necromancer

Apr 12, 2011, 6:56:51 AM4/12/11
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:57:29 -0700 (PDT), "rsh...@gmail.com"
<rsh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Why is an interstate hwy an expectation?

Before long there won't be a need for any interstate upgrades much
less the money to build them.

>Gas is heading north of $5 a gal.

That's just Goldman Sachs' way of thanking the idiots... errr....
people of the US for the bailout a couple of years ago.
--
"It is not enough to be abstinent with other people, you
have to be abstinent alone. The Bible says that lust in

gpsman

Apr 12, 2011, 9:54:19 AM4/12/11
On Apr 12, 1:59 am, "Matt Wiser" <MattWiser...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've noticed on the California roads site that California tried twice (1956
> and 1968) to extend I-40 west from Barstow to Lost Hills and an I-5
> junction. Anyone know why this was rejected, and why was the western
> terminus for I-40 at Barstow?

The Cold War/activities at Edwards AFB may have been a factor around
'56 and '68, and Bakersfield wasn't much more than a dot.

The recent AADTs might offer insight...
http://traffic-counts.dot.ca.gov/
-----

- gpsman

Rich Piehl

Apr 12, 2011, 10:43:19 AM4/12/11
On 4/12/2011 5:56 AM, necromancer wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:57:29 -0700 (PDT), "rsh...@gmail.com"
> <rsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why is an interstate hwy an expectation?
>
> Before long there won't be a need for any interstate upgrades much
> less the money to build them.
>
>> Gas is heading north of $5 a gal.
>
> That's just Goldman Sachs' way of thanking the idiots... errr....
> people of the US for the bailout a couple of years ago.

And let's not forget that our President is on record as saying he wants
to drive up the price of oil as a motivation to develop alternative fuels/

Kenny McCormack

Apr 12, 2011, 11:06:28 AM4/12/11
In article <syZop.1162$vC5...@newsfe01.iad>,

I doubt it. I'm sure that is just a typical Republitard spin on something
he said.

But, nevertheless, it *is* true that alternative fuels will not be developed
until they have to be (that's the nature of the world) and the way they will
"have to be" is if oil (and gasoline) go through the roof. That much is
true.

--
Just for a change of pace, this sig is *not* an obscure reference to
comp.lang.c...

Larry Sheldon

Apr 12, 2011, 11:16:55 AM4/12/11

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kerry-picket/2008/11/02/obama-energy-prices-will-skyrocket

--
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by
its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole

— Albert Einstein

Rich Piehl

Apr 12, 2011, 11:54:22 AM4/12/11
On 4/12/2011 10:06 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article<syZop.1162$vC5...@newsfe01.iad>,
> Rich Piehl<rpiehl5REM...@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote:
>> On 4/12/2011 5:56 AM, necromancer wrote:

>>> Before long there won't be a need for any interstate upgrades much
>>> less the money to build them.

>>> That's just Goldman Sachs' way of thanking the idiots... errr....
>>> people of the US for the bailout a couple of years ago.
>>
>> And let's not forget that our President is on record as saying he wants
>> to drive up the price of oil as a motivation to develop alternative fuels/
>
> I doubt it. I'm sure that is just a typical Republitard spin on something
> he said.

And you would be wrong - from 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbblqyDNSlM

Larry Scholnick

Apr 12, 2011, 8:44:58 PM4/12/11
On Apr 11, 11:08 pm, "rshe...@gmail.com" <rshe...@gmail.com> wrote:

There is one important reason why California would SAVE MONEY (in the
long run) by upgrading CA-58 to Interstate quality between I-5 and
I-15, and applying to renumber it as I-40.

There are many trucks that currently travel from the Central Valley of
California (I-5) and Arizona (and points east). As the roads are
currently designated, there is no All-Interstate route that avoids
entering the (highly congested) Los Angeles Basin. If they upgrade
CA-58 into I-40 and also upgrade the section of US-95 between Needles,
CA and Blythe, CA into and Interstate (such as I-140), then the bypass
of L.A. would be complete - a truck from Oregon/Washington, or from
the Bay Area heading for I-10 can bypass Los Angeles.

Why is it so important to bypass L.A.? Building a lane of freeway
through the desert is far cheaper than building a lane of freeway
through Los Angeles. Rereouting all those trucks postpones the need
for widening several L.A. freeways by decades.

Why can't those same trucks take the existing roads. If they're
indepently owned, they probably do. But many trucks owned by national
chains dictate to their drivers that they must take Interstate routes
whenever possible. They don't factor in the cost of traveling on
congested roads in the Los Angeles Basin, and they ignore the fact
that driving up a few miles of steep roads (like the climb from the
Central Valley to the Los Angeles County Line) costs more fuel than
traveling a longer distance on flatter roads.

There's nothing that says that the replacement for US-95 has to be in
CA. It could just as well be in AZ (following AZ-95). But having CA
finance (or even contribute to financing) a highway in AZ would be a
mighty tough sell.

armourereric

Apr 12, 2011, 9:53:34 PM4/12/11

It was just reported yesterday that a freeway from 15 near Victorville
to 14 in Palmdale has been placed on some sort of faster track

Larry Sheldon

Apr 12, 2011, 10:05:47 PM4/12/11

Regarding why trucks go where via what routes, you might want to look up
things like Hazmat rules, STAA routings, and such.

Not to mention locations of destinations, truck stops, terminals and such.

Steve Sobol

Apr 13, 2011, 12:27:37 AM4/13/11
In article <58279b7a-d772-4791-aa8a-4ab417f3415f@
32g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>, Brent Jonas says...

> > Bakersfield is not exactly a major metropolis, and the jct with I-5
is
> > not exactly a major point
>
> Bakersfield is large enough (347,000 people), where one would expect
> it to have an interstate highway running thru (the future I-7 or I-9,
> the replacement number for CA 99 would accomplish this). But yeah,
> Bakersfield isn't exactly L.A.

Yeah, but Bakersfield is an order of magnitude larger than Barstow,
which has a population of 30-40K, *max.*

I-70's western terminus is in the middle of nowhere, too, but I don't
know if extending *it* makes much sense. Bakersfield is actually a large
city relative to most of the small towns in the Central Valley.

--
Steve Sobol - Programming/WebDev/IT Support
sjs...@JustThe.net

Steve Sobol

Apr 13, 2011, 12:34:06 AM4/13/11
In article <274bb58c-71b6-4628-b4d8-
143810...@v11g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, armourereric says...

> It was just reported yesterday that a freeway from 15 near Victorville
> to 14 in Palmdale has been placed on some sort of faster track

Ahhh, was this the vaunted E-220? That's not a freeway. It doesn't exist
at all yet. In fact, there is no freeway running between Victorville and
Palmdale. To get from Victorville to Palmdale, you take CA-18 (Palmdale
Road/Pearblossom Highway) to the western terminus just over the Los
Angeles County line at Llano; then you hit CA-138 and follow it into
Palmdale.

CA-18 is two lanes all the way between US-395 and CA-138, and CA-138 was
just recently upgraded to four lanes.

rsh...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2011, 5:22:14 AM4/13/11

yep, whenever possible, but no company is going to route SF to
Albuquerque thru LA, no company

no matter what they are carrying

CA 58 is on the National Network from CA 99 to I-15

They don't factor in the cost of traveling on
> congested roads in the Los Angeles Basin, and they ignore the fact
> that driving up a few miles of steep roads (like the climb from the
> Central Valley to the Los Angeles County Line) costs more fuel than
> traveling a longer distance on flatter roads.
>
> There's nothing that says that the replacement for US-95 has to be in
> CA.  It could just as well be in AZ (following AZ-95).  But having CA
> finance (or even contribute to financing) a highway in AZ would be a
> mighty tough sell.

there is no way US 95 will ever become frwy in our lifetimes

and again, no company is going sb over the Grapevine then nb over
Cajon Pass, that is totally absurd

Randy eats cow pies for breakfast lunch and supper

Apr 13, 2011, 9:02:12 AM4/13/11

"Steve Sobol" <sjs...@JustThe.net> wrote in message

The north end of I-25 and the west end of I-20 aren't in major urban areas
either..

Randy eats cow pies for breakfast lunch and supper

Apr 13, 2011, 9:06:45 AM4/13/11

<rsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

and again, no company is going sb over the Grapevine then nb over
Cajon Pass, that is totally absurd

=================================

Kettle head is now an expert on truck routing, too.

Hey, Kettle head, why don't you go to Japan and help them stop the leak i
nthe nuclear reactor. You're an expert on everything else. You MUST be an
expert on nuclear reactors, too.

Hey, Kettle head why aren't you in Lybia negotiating a peace between
Quaddaffi and the rebels? You're an expert on everything else. Surely
you're an expert on the various Lybian factions, too.

rsh...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2011, 7:54:22 PM4/13/11
On Apr 13, 7:06 am, "Randy eats cow pies for breakfast lunch and
supper" <Kettleh...@Randysbrain.com> wrote:
> <rshe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> and again, no company is going sb over the Grapevine then nb over
> Cajon Pass, that is totally absurd
>
> =================================
>
> Kettle head is now an expert on truck routing, too.

can't stand that I know what I am talking about can you????

apparently you don't know the Grapevine from Cajon

so run along and put some cowpies up yur ass, asshole

rsh...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2011, 7:58:56 PM4/13/11
On Apr 13, 7:06 am, "Randy eats cow pies for breakfast lunch and
supper" <Kettleh...@Randysbrain.com> wrote:
> <rshe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

double post, huh?????

still don't want to accept I know what I am talking about

and btw I love the Libyan war as it sends gas north of $4 and
hopefully north of $5 screwing all those idiots in CA and other
western and southern states that have little transit and drive long
miles to work etc

hopefully you are one of those idiots

In the meantime I make money hand over fist, TAX FREE

Paul D. DeRocco

Apr 13, 2011, 10:11:08 PM4/13/11
> "Steve Sobol" <sjs...@JustThe.net> wrote

> I-70's western terminus is in the middle of nowhere, too, but I don't
> know if extending *it* makes much sense. Bakersfield is actually a large
> city relative to most of the small towns in the Central Valley.

Yeah. Extending it to where? Tonopah and Bishop? They're not going to push
I-70 over the Sierra Nevada in my lifetime, so it might as well end where it
is.

Paul D. DeRocco

Apr 13, 2011, 10:18:08 PM4/13/11
> "Larry Scholnick" <larry_s...@yahoo.com> wrote

> Why can't those same trucks take the existing roads. If they're
> indepently owned, they probably do. But many trucks owned by national
> chains dictate to their drivers that they must take Interstate routes
> whenever possible. They don't factor in the cost of traveling on
> congested roads in the Los Angeles Basin, and they ignore the fact
> that driving up a few miles of steep roads (like the climb from the
> Central Valley to the Los Angeles County Line) costs more fuel than
> traveling a longer distance on flatter roads.

Well, I don't think the government should be in the business of building
highways to make life easier for companies that aren't willing to measure
and evaluate the actual costs they face. Lots of trucks take 58. There used
to be mile-long backups in Mojave before they built the bypass. There are
still mile-long backups around Kramer Junction.

Paul D. DeRocco

Apr 13, 2011, 10:24:47 PM4/13/11
> "armourereric" <armour...@aol.com> wrote

> It was just reported yesterday that a freeway from 15 near Victorville
> to 14 in Palmdale has been placed on some sort of faster track

All I've been able to find is reports of public comment meetings in
Lancaster and Palmdale. I don't know that that constitutes a faster track.
They've been doing the prep work in dribs and drabs for a few years, but
they're a long way from breaking ground.

Steve Sobol

Apr 13, 2011, 11:22:28 PM4/13/11
In article <WNqdnVPuXYUjyjvQ...@earthlink.com>, Paul D.
DeRocco says...

> > "Steve Sobol" <sjs...@JustThe.net> wrote
> >
> > I-70's western terminus is in the middle of nowhere, too, but I don't
> > know if extending *it* makes much sense. Bakersfield is actually a large
> > city relative to most of the small towns in the Central Valley.
>
> Yeah. Extending it to where? Tonopah and Bishop? They're not going to push
> I-70 over the Sierra Nevada in my lifetime, so it might as well end where it
> is.

That was my point. "I don't know if extending *it* [I-70] makes much
sense."

:)

Steve Sobol

Apr 13, 2011, 11:27:58 PM4/13/11
In article <tKmdnbnvl5lsxzvQ...@earthlink.com>, Paul D.
DeRocco says...

> > It was just reported yesterday that a freeway from 15 near

Victorville
> > to 14 in Palmdale has been placed on some sort of faster track
>
> All I've been able to find is reports of public comment meetings in
> Lancaster and Palmdale. I don't know that that constitutes a faster track.
> They've been doing the prep work in dribs and drabs for a few years, but
> they're a long way from breaking ground.

They'll finish E-220 at about the same time they finish the Nisqualli-La
Mesa interchange in Victorville and the Ranchero Road underpass in
Hesperia/Oak Hills... i.e., never.

Of Victorville, San Bernardino County and CalTrans, the only org I trust
to get *anything* done is CalTrans. The city and county are run by
corrupt assholes. Victorville, in particular, is very good at taking
money that should be used for infrastructure and other essential
services, and throwing it away on utter crap. Which is why, if I can
help it, I will *never* live there again.

Matt Wiser

Apr 14, 2011, 1:24:10 AM4/14/11

"Paul D. DeRocco" <pder...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Tell me about it! I've been in a few, and it can take up to 20 min. to clear
them up. It was worse before CalTrans put in a signal at the 58-395
junction, believe me.

Cameron Kaiser

Apr 14, 2011, 9:16:04 AM4/14/11
"Paul D. DeRocco" <pder...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>>It was just reported yesterday that a freeway from 15 near Victorville
>>to 14 in Palmdale has been placed on some sort of faster track

>All I've been able to find is reports of public comment meetings in
>Lancaster and Palmdale. I don't know that that constitutes a faster track.
>They've been doing the prep work in dribs and drabs for a few years, but
>they're a long way from breaking ground.

They kick the High Desert Corridor around incessantly as a sop for the Victor
Valley and it seems like nothing ever gets done about it. I actually suspect
it's some kind of local inside joke. I blame Steve Sobol. ;)

--
Cameron Kaiser * cka...@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
Computer Workshops: http://www.armory.com/%7Espectre/cwi/

Steve Sobol

Apr 14, 2011, 2:52:13 PM4/14/11
In article <4da6f34d$0$42256$bb4e...@newscene.com>, Cameron Kaiser
says...

> >All I've been able to find is reports of public comment meetings in
> >Lancaster and Palmdale. I don't know that that constitutes a faster track.
> >They've been doing the prep work in dribs and drabs for a few years, but
> >they're a long way from breaking ground.
>
> They kick the High Desert Corridor around incessantly as a sop for the Victor
> Valley and it seems like nothing ever gets done about it. I actually suspect
> it's some kind of local inside joke. I blame Steve Sobol. ;)

That's fine. Blame me, and I'll accept the blame, because I don't think
a freeway is needed between the Victor Valley and the Antelope Valley.
:)

We DID need improvements to CA-138 between CA-18 and Palmdale, and those
were completed a couple years ago.

I'm more annoyed about the I-15 interchange at Nisqualli/La Mesa that
should have already been built, but probably never will be because
Victorville and the county are going to continue wasting money that was
supposed to have gone to build the interchange. There is a need for that
interchange, there is a need for the I-15 Ranchero Road underpass, there
is a need for an additional east-west bridge over the Mojave River, and
none of those projects are ever going to be built because the city and
county are run by criminals who are more interested in other things.
(for example, buying crystal meth, in the case of our esteemed former
County Supervisor.)

JG

Apr 14, 2011, 3:40:30 PM4/14/11
On Apr 14, 12:24 am, "Matt Wiser" <MattWiser...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Paul D. DeRocco" <pdero...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in messagenews:iJKdnc-JUaf_xDvQ...@earthlink.com...
>

> > > "Larry Scholnick" <larry_scholn...@yahoo.com> wrote

> > > Why can't those same trucks take the existing roads.  If they're
> > > indepently owned, they probably do.  But many trucks owned by national
> > > chains dictate to their drivers that they must take Interstate routes
> > > whenever possible.  They don't factor in the cost of traveling on
> > > congested roads in the Los Angeles Basin, and they ignore the fact
> > > that driving up a few miles of steep roads (like the climb from the
> > > Central Valley to the Los Angeles County Line) costs more fuel than
> > > traveling a longer distance on flatter roads.
>
> > Well, I don't think the government should be in the business of building
> > highways to make life easier for companies that aren't willing to measure
> > and evaluate the actual costs they face. Lots of trucks take 58. There
> used
> > to be mile-long backups in Mojave before they built the bypass. There are
> > still mile-long backups around Kramer Junction.
>
> > --
>
> > Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
> > Paul                mailto:pdero...@ix.netcom.com

> Tell me about it! I've been in a few, and it can take up to 20 min. to clear
> them up. It was worse before CalTrans put in a signal at the 58-395
> junction, believe me.- Hide quoted text -

During a trip up I-15 last sunday to LV, I noticed the backup at the
southbound "Ag. Check" was over 4 miles. CHP was also busy with a
couple of single car "pavement departures", including a towed boat
ending up facing backwards somehow in the mojave. Nice driving Admiral
Nimitz.

Termo appears to be booming from the Pentagon $$ party.

Of course Nevada HP was busy.... a genius blocking traffic (rolled
over and ending up on his door/fender). Zone pricing for gas was
evident in Depressionville LV, $3.75 by chinatown.

Got some nice photos of the US 93 bridge by Hoover. No signage
mentioned that tourists heading for the bridge visitor parking should
head down the old US 93 route.

Chilly8

Apr 14, 2011, 5:32:25 PM4/14/11

"Matt Wiser" <MattWi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I've noticed on the California roads site that California tried twice
> (1956
> and 1968) to extend I-40 west from Barstow to Lost Hills and an I-5
> junction. Anyone know why this was rejected, and why was the western
> terminus for I-40 at Barstow? Slowly but surely, CA 58 is being upgraded
> full freeway or expressway between Mojave and Barstow, but it's no
> substitute for I-40.

I think that I-40 should be extended all the way to Paso Robles over
CA-46

Steve Sobol

Apr 14, 2011, 6:14:43 PM4/14/11
In article <f2a8fceb-66e0-499b-8631-
65a8ed...@s3g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>, JG says...

> During a trip up I-15 last sunday to LV, I noticed the backup at the
> southbound "Ag. Check" was over 4 miles. CHP was also busy with a
> couple of single car "pavement departures", including a towed boat
> ending up facing backwards somehow in the mojave. Nice driving Admiral
> Nimitz.
>
> Termo appears to be booming from the Pentagon $$ party.

Au contraire. Just because the Ag Station is busy doesn't mean all of
those people are going to Fort Irwin. All that you can infer is that the
Ag Station is busy. :)

Steve Sobol

Apr 14, 2011, 6:39:47 PM4/14/11
In article <MPG.281111ae8...@news.justthe.net>, Steve Sobol
says...

You do realize that the vast majority of people coming southbound on I-
15 from Vegas, on a Sunday, will be SoCal residents returning from a
Vegas weekend.... right?

Paul D. DeRocco

Apr 14, 2011, 10:15:39 PM4/14/11
> "Steve Sobol" <sjs...@JustThe.net> wrote

> That's fine. Blame me, and I'll accept the blame, because I don't think
> a freeway is needed between the Victor Valley and the Antelope Valley.
> :)
>
> We DID need improvements to CA-138 between CA-18 and Palmdale, and those
> were completed a couple years ago.

I'm not all that obsessed with freeways, let alone freeways built to
Interstate standards. Unless there's a ton of traffic, a mere expressway is
fine in rural areas. I think there is good reason to fourlane the entire
road between Palmdale and Victorville, maybe involving a completely new road
instead of the existing 138/18 alignment, but it doesn't need to have
controlled access. It might make sense to fourlane 138 over to Gorman as
well. It's a fairly popular truck route now, and I expect it would be more
so if it were improved.

Paul D. DeRocco

Apr 14, 2011, 10:17:35 PM4/14/11
> "Steve Sobol" <sjs...@JustThe.net> wrote

> Au contraire. Just because the Ag Station is busy doesn't mean all of
> those people are going to Fort Irwin. All that you can infer is that the
> Ag Station is busy. :)

Funny thing is, that particular ag checkpoint is trivial to bypass. Most
aren't.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Paul D. DeRocco

Apr 14, 2011, 10:24:04 PM4/14/11
> "Chilly8" <Chi...@hotmail.com> wrote

> I think that I-40 should be extended all the way to Paso Robles over
> CA-46

Oh yeah, I remember you. The one who wants Interstate highways everywhere.

Steve Sobol

Apr 14, 2011, 11:12:15 PM4/14/11
In article <h7ydnWK0E_HQNzrQ...@earthlink.com>, Paul D.
DeRocco says...

> I'm not all that obsessed with freeways, let alone freeways built to
> Interstate standards. Unless there's a ton of traffic, a mere expressway is
> fine in rural areas. I think there is good reason to fourlane the entire
> road between Palmdale and Victorville, maybe involving a completely new road
> instead of the existing 138/18 alignment, but it doesn't need to have
> controlled access. It might make sense to fourlane 138 over to Gorman as
> well. It's a fairly popular truck route now, and I expect it would be more
> so if it were improved.

Uh... I'd say, just fourlane 18 from US-395 to 138, and 138 from 18 to
Palmdale.

And before we do any of that, let's widen US-395. Major truck route, 65
MPH speed limit, two lanes. Not safe north of Adelanto. And we already
have enough problems with people drifting over the center line and
killing themselves and others. (between Adelanto and I-15). Let's widen
the portion of US-395 between Adelanto and I-15. The only part that is 4
lanes is the part running through Victorville.

*That* isn't an issue of convenience. It's a safety issue. OK, it's also
a convenience issue; some of us get annoyed having to sit behind semis
for hours.

JG

Apr 15, 2011, 9:39:36 PM4/15/11
On Apr 14, 5:39 pm, Steve Sobol <sjso...@JustThe.net> wrote:
> In article <MPG.281111ae87329f93989...@news.justthe.net>, Steve Sobol
> says...
>

> > In article <f2a8fceb-66e0-499b-8631-
> > 65a8ed765...@s3g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>, JG says...

> > > During a trip up I-15 last sunday to LV, I noticed the backup at the
> > > southbound "Ag. Check" was over 4 miles. CHP was also busy with a
> > > couple of single car "pavement departures", including a towed boat
> > > ending up facing backwards somehow in the mojave. Nice driving Admiral
> > > Nimitz.
>
> > > Termo appears to be booming from the Pentagon $$ party.
>
> > Au contraire. Just because the Ag Station is busy doesn't mean all of
> > those people are going to Fort Irwin. All that you can infer is that the
> > Ag Station is busy. :)

My observation about Termo was separate from any Ag. reference in the
previous paragraph.

> You do realize that the vast majority of people coming southbound on I-
> 15 from Vegas, on a Sunday, will be SoCal residents returning from a
> Vegas weekend.... right?

I don't get what CA Ag. is trying to look for, bugs?? This is even
worse than any backups I've seen at IL toll plazas. Maybe Caltrans
outsourced the ag. check to IL toll authority ??

No cooties from NV or AZ can damage any CA products.

JG

Apr 15, 2011, 9:40:36 PM4/15/11
On Apr 14, 9:17 pm, "Paul D. DeRocco" <pdero...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > "Steve Sobol" <sjso...@JustThe.net> wrote

> > Au contraire. Just because the Ag Station is busy doesn't mean all of
> > those people are going to Fort Irwin. All that you can infer is that the
> > Ag Station is busy. :)
>
> Funny thing is, that particular ag checkpoint is trivial to bypass. Most
> aren't.

Well most don't and wait for what looks to be at least a 30 min.
delay.

Steve Sobol

Apr 16, 2011, 2:32:49 AM4/16/11
In article <09bbe875-fe4d-4a58-961d-5df171233925
@t16g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>, JG says...

> I don't get what CA Ag. is trying to look for, bugs?? This is even
> worse than any backups I've seen at IL toll plazas. Maybe Caltrans
> outsourced the ag. check to IL toll authority ??
>
> No cooties from NV or AZ can damage any CA products.

Tbey check animals, which have to be properly vaccinated or they will be
quarantined, and yes, they check produce to make sure it isn't bringing
in bugs that may carry disease. They're at all the state borders. On my
way into California, moving from Ohio, I hit the one on I-40 inside the
Arizona state line.

rsh...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2011, 7:39:12 AM4/16/11
> sjso...@JustThe.net

I don't know about animals, but just say you don't have any fruit and
they just wave you right thru

FL has had them for years, they were just for truck insp until 9-11
then they put up new signage for trailers and vans to stop, but
everyone seems to pass them right up

Paul D. DeRocco

Apr 17, 2011, 11:09:57 PM4/17/11
> "Steve Sobol" <sjs...@JustThe.net> wrote

> Tbey check animals, which have to be properly vaccinated or they will be
> quarantined, and yes, they check produce to make sure it isn't bringing
> in bugs that may carry disease. They're at all the state borders. On my
> way into California, moving from Ohio, I hit the one on I-40 inside the
> Arizona state line.

All state borders? I've driven across country over fifteen times, and I
can't recall seeing an ag checkpoint anywhere but California. I've been to
AZ three times in the last year, and haven't seen one there.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Larry Sheldon

Apr 17, 2011, 11:40:15 PM4/17/11

Arizona has not for several years--I guess that since their other
borders are so porous, they gave up.

But some years ago, California closed theirs on the southern highways,
paying Arizona to do the checking for them since the interests were the
same.

--
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by
its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole
life believing that it is stupid."

— Albert Einstein

Steve Sobol

Apr 18, 2011, 12:12:04 AM4/18/11
In article <g8WdnT2QOMkTNjbQ...@earthlink.com>, Paul D.
DeRocco says...

The inspection station is on the *CALIFORNIA* side, just on the other
side of the Arizona state line. Sorry, I don't think I made that clear.

Larry Sheldon

Apr 18, 2011, 12:34:58 AM4/18/11

I just realized that the "All state borders? is a misread that Steve
partially grabbed. At all of the borders California has with other
states (Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, and Baja California), there are
agriculture inspections.

JG

Apr 18, 2011, 4:47:21 PM4/18/11
On Apr 17, 11:34 pm, Larry Sheldon <lfshel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/17/2011 11:12 PM, Steve Sobol wrote:
>

> > In article<g8WdnT2QOMkTNjbQnZ2dnUVZ_j6dn...@earthlink.com>, Paul D.
> > DeRocco says...

> >> All state borders? I've driven across country over fifteen times, and I
> >> can't recall seeing an ag checkpoint anywhere but California. I've been to
> >> AZ three times in the last year, and haven't seen one there.
>
> > The inspection station is on the *CALIFORNIA* side, just on the other
> > side of the Arizona state line. Sorry, I don't think I made that clear.
>
> I just realized that the "All state borders? is a misread that Steve
> partially grabbed.  At all of the borders California has with other
> states (Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, and Baja California), there are
> agriculture inspections.
> --
> "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by
> its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole
> life believing that it is stupid."
>
>   Albert Einstein

Why don't Washington and Michigan have them, with their large apple
crops ?? Why doesn't Idaho check for potatoe bugs ?? Me thinks CA just
wants an excuse to check the passengers out.

Larry Sheldon

Apr 18, 2011, 7:09:05 PM4/18/11
On 4/18/2011 3:47 PM, JG wrote:

> Why don't Washington and Michigan have them, with their large apple
> crops ?? Why doesn't Idaho check for potatoe bugs ?? Me thinks CA just
> wants an excuse to check the passengers out.

Probably should ask on an Ag. group.

I do recall some years ago the Canadians would not let us taake apples
into BC from Washington--we had to walk back across the border and drop
the cores (we ate most of the apples) in the bin on the USA side of the
line.

rsh...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2011, 10:37:18 PM4/18/11
> wants an excuse to check the passengers out.- Hide quoted text -

not really, remember some years ago the fruit fly debacle

they are serious about protecting their ag, moreso then other states

niow as I said upthread FL reopened their ag insp but that is really
to check out vans, trailers etc since 9-11

Brent Jonas

Apr 20, 2011, 12:20:19 PM4/20/11
On Apr 13, 10:24 pm, "Matt Wiser" <MattWiser...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Paul D. DeRocco" <pdero...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in messagenews:iJKdnc-JUaf_xDvQ...@earthlink.com...
>

> > > "Larry Scholnick" <larry_scholn...@yahoo.com> wrote

> > > Why can't those same trucks take the existing roads.  If they're
> > > indepently owned, they probably do.  But many trucks owned by national
> > > chains dictate to their drivers that they must take Interstate routes
> > > whenever possible.  They don't factor in the cost of traveling on
> > > congested roads in the Los Angeles Basin, and they ignore the fact
> > > that driving up a few miles of steep roads (like the climb from the
> > > Central Valley to the Los Angeles County Line) costs more fuel than
> > > traveling a longer distance on flatter roads.
>
> > Well, I don't think the government should be in the business of building
> > highways to make life easier for companies that aren't willing to measure
> > and evaluate the actual costs they face. Lots of trucks take 58. There
> used
> > to be mile-long backups in Mojave before they built the bypass. There are
> > still mile-long backups around Kramer Junction.
>
> > --
>
> > Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
> > Paul                mailto:pdero...@ix.netcom.com

> Tell me about it! I've been in a few, and it can take up to 20 min. to clear
> them up. It was worse before CalTrans put in a signal at the 58-395
> junction, believe me.

I remember when I spent *two hours*, trying to clear that intersection
as I was coming back from Las Vegas to the Bay Area during the 4th of
July holiday, a few years ago. Absolutely horrible.

-Brent

JG

Apr 21, 2011, 7:07:40 PM4/21/11

I would of hit reno/tahoe instead.

Steve Sobol

Apr 21, 2011, 7:52:28 PM4/21/11
In article <f6e85a8e-4d22-4507-a523-ed24e0d7a467
@e25g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, JG says...

> > I remember when I spent *two hours*, trying to clear that intersection
> > as I was coming back from Las Vegas to the Bay Area during the 4th of
> > July holiday, a few years ago.  Absolutely horrible.
>
> I would of hit reno/tahoe instead.

Yeah, that makes more sense to me too, instead of going way south and
having to double back through the Central Valley.

Paul D. DeRocco

Apr 23, 2011, 2:58:56 AM4/23/11
> "JG" <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote

> I would of hit reno/tahoe instead.

There are actually lots of possible alternatives, if you're trying to beat a
two-hour delay. And as more and more people have access to maps in smart
phones, they'll start finding them.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Tom Mogadore

Apr 23, 2011, 1:14:00 PM4/23/11
On Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:58:56 AM UTC-4, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

> There are actually lots of possible alternatives, if you're trying to beat a
> two-hour delay. And as more and more people have access to maps in smart
> phones, they'll start finding them.
>
> --
>
> Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
> Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Verizon offers access to it's satnav service on it's not-so-smart Samsung Gusto pay-as-you-go phone. %2.99 a day-which is kind of pricey, but if you only need it occasionally, that's not so bad.