Now an Italian rr question

randee

Jul 12, 2004, 12:20:19 AM7/12/04
My Passport brand map of the Alpine region is rather hard to read, even
with a magnifying glass. It appears that the route northwest of
Bozen/Bolzano up to Meran continues on at least as far as
Schluderns/Scluderno. However the timetables only show a routing as far
as Meran. Does the track really continue past Meran, does it end there,
or does only the passenger service end at Meran?
--
wf.
Wayne Flowers

Luca Logi

Jul 12, 2004, 2:33:13 AM7/12/04
randee <ran...@zianet.com> wrote:

> My Passport brand map of the Alpine region is rather hard to read, even
> with a magnifying glass. It appears that the route northwest of
> Bozen/Bolzano up to Meran continues on at least as far as
> Schluderns/Scluderno. However the timetables only show a routing as far
> as Meran. Does the track really continue past Meran, does it end there,
> or does only the passenger service end at Meran?

The track goes from Merano to Malles Venosta. Service was suspended
several years ago. However, the line is not gone; it has been bought by
regional authorities, that will resume passenger service in the future.
They have ordered some EMU units (the first has been delivered a couple
of months ago and is now under test). So at present there is no service
past Merano, but expect to have it again in the next years.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail: ll...@dada.it
Home page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/archivarius

Luca Logi

Jul 12, 2004, 2:39:33 AM7/12/04
randee <ran...@zianet.com> wrote:

> My Passport brand map of the Alpine region is rather hard to read, even
> with a magnifying glass. It appears that the route northwest of
> Bozen/Bolzano up to Meran continues on at least as far as
> Schluderns/Scluderno. However the timetables only show a routing as far
> as Meran. Does the track really continue past Meran, does it end there,
> or does only the passenger service end at Meran?

The track goes from Merano to Malles Venosta. Service was suspended

several years ago. However, the line is not gone; it has been bought by
regional authorities, that will resume passenger service in the future.

They have ordered eight DMU units (the first two have been recently
delivered and are now under test). So at present there is no service

Flosta

Jul 12, 2004, 2:49:56 AM7/12/04

"Luca Logi" <ll...@dada.it> wrote in message

> randee <ran...@zianet.com> wrote:
>
> > My Passport brand map of the Alpine region is rather hard to read, even
> > with a magnifying glass. It appears that the route northwest of
> > Bozen/Bolzano up to Meran continues on at least as far as
> > Schluderns/Scluderno. However the timetables only show a routing as far
> > as Meran. Does the track really continue past Meran, does it end there,
> > or does only the passenger service end at Meran?
>
> The track goes from Merano to Malles Venosta. Service was suspended
> several years ago. However, the line is not gone; it has been bought by
> regional authorities, that will resume passenger service in the future.
> They have ordered eight DMU units (the first two have been recently
> delivered and are now under test). So at present there is no service
> past Merano, but expect to have it again in the next years.

Some recent announcements mentioned next fall as the start date of the "new"
Merano-Malles service (under regional authority, not FS-Trenitalia).
The first trainsets were already delivered last spring. Rail equipement
(re-)installation should at a good point.
The works which are a bit late (and could jeopardize the start next autumn)
are in (some of ) the stations.

Regards
Flosta

David Eerdmans

Jul 12, 2004, 2:52:42 PM7/12/04

Luca Logi <ll...@dada.it> wrote in article
<1ggsyo9.15tsc741p00bnkN%ll...@dada.it>...

> The track goes from Merano to Malles Venosta. Service was suspended
> several years ago. However, the line is not gone; it has been bought by
> regional authorities, that will resume passenger service in the future.
> They have ordered eight DMU units (the first two have been recently
> delivered and are now under test). So at present there is no service
> past Merano, but expect to have it again in the next years.

Am I right thinking those are Stadler GTW 2 / 6 DMU's?

Regards,
David

Sven Manias

Jul 12, 2004, 3:35:30 PM7/12/04
David Eerdmans <usen...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/it/private/STA/pix.html

(in other words, yes.)

Regards,
Sven
--
Sven Manias * Karlsruhe * Germany
E-Mail: sven....@gmx.de * WWW: http://www.sven-manias.de/

ESwoboda

Jul 12, 2004, 5:15:21 PM7/12/04
I took some video of this line before it was shut down several years ago
. Have to dig it out and compare it with the new sleek equipment .

randee

Jul 12, 2004, 2:44:25 PM7/12/04
Interesting. We will check at Meran to see what is happening on that
line. Are there any plans to extend the line further, either to the
west into Switzerland to Zernez, or to the north to Landeck in Austria?
Thanks for the information.

Flosta

Jul 13, 2004, 2:34:52 AM7/13/04

"randee" <ran...@zianet.com> wrote in message

> Interesting. We will check at Meran to see what is happening on that
> line. Are there any plans to extend the line further, either to the
> west into Switzerland to Zernez, or to the north to Landeck in Austria?

There were plans to extend the line (especially to Landeck, IIRW) when the
line was built.
Once in a while the issue is re-discussed, debated, etc., even recently, in
occasion of the announcements linked to the re-opening of the Merano-Malles.
But I would qualify it more of a "dream" or an "idea" than a real "plan" :-(

Regards
Flosta

Ulf Kutzner

Aug 6, 2004, 6:58:42 AM8/6/04
I would like to add one more question: What is the FS maximum speed for
the Dortmund - Firenze overnighter?

Regards, ULF